The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

So if you're happy because you're really good at what you do but some French guys said you suck but you beat them anyway, then you can yell and scream and splash water. Oh, and you have to be a on team too.

But if you're really at what you do and you're not from the US you have to be stoic and dignified and not show any joy even though it's your damn record and your damn accomplishment.

I see a double standard there and a lot of rationalization why it's okay for our guys to act like fools but not people from other countries.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if you're happy because you're really good at what you do but some French guys said you suck but you beat them anyway, then you can yell and scream and splash water. Oh, and you have to be a on team too.

But if you're really at what you do and you're not from the US you have to be stoic and dignified and not show any joy even though it's your damn record and your damn accomplishment.

I see a double standard there and a lot of rationalization why it's okay for our guys to act like fools but not people from other countries.

Ok, this isnt my argument to be getting into, I cant speak for McCarthy, and I should keep my mouth shut, but there is no double standard here. (And I dont see what the real hooplah over all this is anyways, but anyways...)

I speak for myself in saying if the roles were reversed, and France had Phelps equivalent going for 8 medals, and the US team had said the same to the French team, and they won the race the exact same way, I would not be offended or think the french are being classless, and would admit it was stupid for the US team to say that, and im sure others would to.

Similarly, if it was a US runner had won the race and prematurely celebrated the same way Bolt did, I would have disapproved of his actions just like I do Bolt's, and im sure others would to.

I dont understand...Is everyone supposed to celebrate the same no matter what the situation? Is nobody supposed to say if they think that another person's actions were classless? Is nobody supposed have differing opinions about two similar situations? Does a person that has certian differing opinions always automatically have a biased double standard?

I dont mean this as an attack, but after this post, and this post you made in response to a post I made, ive come to conclude that you certainly are one difficult fellow. Whether youre doing it just to make people think deeper about what they say, or to start arguments, or what, I dunno. But still...

oBIgzrL.png

I still don't see what the US swimming team has to do with my opinion of Usain Bolt. You brought them into this, I didn't. I even said in my post that any country would've reacted the same way the swim relay team did. The Australian team did the same thing in the same event 8 years ago. It's a team race, it does go with the territory.

I never said that.

Get off it. There's a double standard there because you created it. I made no mention about country ties. As far as I'm concerned that's not a part of this. Bolt couldn't wait 5 more strides to act boastful? That's all I'm asking. I really don't care what he does after the race, but don't show up your competitors by doing a deion sanders high step towards the finish line. It's an issue of sportsmanship, something that used to be held in high regard.

and if you think people in America don't flame their own athletes for their actions, remember the sour reaction this celebration got from people in the states.

610x.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't see the big fuss over these celebrations. I really don't.

They showed some pure emotion and enjoyment of the moment. How is that any different then all the touchdown celebrations (well, except the ones by Chad Johnson and T.O.), the pose after a slam dunk, the celebration after a goal in soccer and the like? I saw the ending to the mens team sabre fencing final where the French beat the US. I saw them celebrate and viewed it as no different than the relay team winning that race.

I saw, I came, I left.

Eh. I see as this: You've trained your whole life for an event that comes once every 4 years, and you only have a few shots at it. If you win at whatever you do, and can be called the Best in the World, you can act however you want, because you earned it. So put me in the crowd of the one that isn't angry at Bolt or Phelps celebrating. They earned it.

I don't see the big fuss over these celebrations. I really don't.

They showed some pure emotion and enjoyment of the moment. How is that any different then all the touchdown celebrations (well, except the ones by Chad Johnson and T.O.), the pose after a slam dunk, the celebration after a goal in soccer and the like?

Agreed. At least the celebration is genuine and heartfelt in these fringe sports--as opposed to the premeditated, choreographed "hey, look at me" asshattery of major professional sports.

Eh. I see as this: You've trained your whole life for an event that comes once every 4 years, and you only have a few shots at it. If you win at whatever you do, and can be called the Best in the World, you can act however you want, because you earned it. So put me in the crowd of the one that isn't angry at Bolt or Phelps celebrating. They earned it.

Well, yes. That's my opinion, but not put as succinctly. I only brought Phelps into the equation because he was wildly celebrated on this board for his accomplishments, and I thought it a bit much that Bolt would be put down for the exact same behavior.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

How fast could Bolt bolt if he actually tried?

I tell ya what, I'm sick of the Chinese cheating at these games.

-A chinese shooter misses three targets and the crowd cheers so they give points.

-A gymnast was 13 last year, now this year shes 16.

-They flew planes over the equestrian to startle competitors horses

On Ch7 news here last year there was vision of chinese gymmasts in training, they start them at 3 and force them to do things and hit them and poke them if theyre a fraction out of step in a way that in any decent country (not china) that behaviour and treatment of children is illegal.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

How fast could Bolt bolt if he actually tried?

I tell ya what, I'm sick of the Chinese cheating at these games.

-A chinese shooter misses three targets and the crowd cheers so they give points.

-A gymnast was 13 last year, now this year shes 16.

-They flew planes over the equestrian to startle competitors horses

On Ch7 news here last year there was vision of chinese gymmasts in training, they start them at 3 and force them to do things and hit them and poke them if theyre a fraction out of step in a way that in any decent country (not china) that behaviour and treatment of children is illegal.

What are you shocked thats what Communist Countries do

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well, yes. That's my opinion, but not put as succinctly. I only brought Phelps into the equation because he was wildly celebrated on this board for his accomplishments, and I thought it a bit much that Bolt would be put down for the exact same behavior.

My only problem with what Bolt did is that he was showboating during the race. I don't know why, but I was actually pissed that he didn't bust it all the way through the line. Maybe it's jealousy. I was a slightly above average sprinter at the DIII level, but I would have given anything to have been blessed with Bolt's size and tremendous speed. Even with him cruising, he ran the fastest time ever (even tying the fastest wind aided time)! I marveled at seeing 9.69 on the board, but I would have loved to have seen 9.63 or 9.59 up there. Bolt could have told the world, "come and beat THIS!" I'm not saying the record won't stand for a long time, but I always thought that you were supposed to give it your all, not necessarily worry about winning, but just leave it all on the track. Bolt left at least .05 on the track, and to me, that's just not acceptable.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What are you shocked thats what Communist Countries do

Rock over London, rock on Chicago. Budweiser, it's the King of Beers.

R.I.P. Wesley "Kiss My Black Ass" Willis.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

In the women's individual vault, Alicia Sacramone got absolutely ripped. The Chinese girl landed on her knees, while Alicia only took a step on the landing, yet the Chinese girl gets a higher score. WTF.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

In the women's individual vault, Alicia Sacramone got absolutely ripped. The Chinese girl landed on her knees, while Alicia only took a step on the landing, yet the Chinese girl gets a higher score. WTF.

Maybe it had to do with the degree of difficulty. I think the way gymnastics are scored now, the judges do give the benefit of the doubt for those who try harder vaults. I didn't watch much of it this morning, only the end when we found out the North Korean had won.

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, Chung Fei did have a higher start value for her two vaults. So Sacramone was playing from behind before either one took a step. That aside, I still don't understand how botching the execution of the vault and completely blowing the landing merited over an 8.5.

And what a surprise, Bela Karolyi did everything but stand up on the desk and scream "FIX!!!!" Get this Eastern bloc jackass off my screen.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Watching some beach volleyball right now, always great.

And about Bolt, if he had a good start and didnt give up at the end he could have easily done 9.6 flat.

Scary fast.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Jamaican my head spin! As though Bolt wasn't enough, the island nation sweeps the medals in the women's 100m.

After reading Game of Shadows I know question everything ... not saying anything just saying ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Archived