The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bolt wins the 200m with another world record, running all-out all the way through this time.

Meanwhile the second and third-place finishers both got DQ'd for stepping on their inside lane lines. :lol:

All the Bolt posts come 10 hours after the race... I guess NBC finally showed the race.

Yes but thanks to the internet I was able to see the race before NBC showed it.

Anyways NBC has their priorities straight, the Women's Beach Volleyball Final is on Live* Except on the West Coast.

Bolt wins the 200m with another world record, running all-out all the way through this time.

Meanwhile the second and third-place finishers both got DQ'd for stepping on their inside lane lines. :lol:

All the Bolt posts come 10 hours after the race... I guess NBC finally showed the race.

Anyways NBC has their priorities straight, the Women's Beach Volleyball Final is on Live* Except on the West Coast.

They are actually playing in a driving rain storm too

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This might be the cricket fan in me, and me being an optimist, but, I really feel that with the removal of baseball, cricket might be included in the near future.

The reason I say this is because the 20/20 version is gaining immense popularity around the world. (Btw, 20/20 basically shortens the match to about the length of a baseball game, and increases the excitement because players take more risks on offense and the game has a higher scoring rate).

Even with one stadium, I think the format could work. I envision two groups of 5 (8 test nations, maybe a Great Britain team, and a qualifying tournament for the last spot). A round robin means there would be 20 matches. They could play 2 matches a day, while alternating between the groups (they wouldn't have to switch between men and women like volleyball or water polo) each day, so that would take ten days. Top two teams in each group make semis. Give them an off day, then play the semis, and then another off-day, and play the bronze medal and gold medal matches. That's a 14 day tournament.

I think a barometer to see when it would be included would be the Commonwealth Games. It got rejected from the 2010 Games in 2006, because they were not in favor of the 20/20 format, and wanted the ODI format, which the organizers rejected. I think the movement to include it in the Olympics would really begin when the 20/20 format is adopted by the Commonwealth Games.

Also, about the West Indies, each of the countries has their own team (they play in the Stanford 20/20), so I envision them contesting a tournament to send a few representatives to the Olympic qualifying tournament.

And the US team is wearing white.

B-cup madness, baby!

Kinda OT, but I just watched the US men's soccer team win a 1-0 result against Guatemala in Guatemala. Dirtiest soccer game I've seen since Oranje-Portugal @ World Cup 06. One guy even had to leave the game with a gash in his head after he got headbutted. That was a ridiculously dirty football game.

And the US team is wearing white.

B-cup madness, baby!

Just now getting that match courtesy of NBC's epic tape-delay.

Was hoping for something a little closer to mud wrestling, but I'll settle for a wet t-shirt contest -- not that there's all that much to see. :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

The West Coast just saw Bolt win the 200.

What's it to this jackass announcer that Bolt didn't beat the 100 record by enough? Why should he care? The man is clearly having a good go of things. Why should he have to please anyone else?

Seriously. Stop calling him a clown.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What's it to this jackass announcer that Bolt didn't beat the 100 record by enough? Why should he care? The man is clearly having a good go of things. Why should he have to please anyone else?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I saw an article that said Bolt's pulling up at the end of the 100 could end up benefitting him financially since sprinters usually get big bonuses for breaking World Records. In other words, Bolt knows he can run fast enough to shatter even his current record, so he can do it at a later time and collect another bonus. I'm not sure if that was his thinking -- I'd like to think he was just being a badass -- but if that was his thinking, it makes sense not to set a World Record that he might not be capable of eventually beating.

IUe6Hvh.png

I guess IOC President Jacques Rogge shouldn't care about Bolt's boorish behavior either, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I guess IOC President Jacques Rogge shouldn't care about Bolt's boorish behavior either, huh?

Eh, I don't think it's as big of an issue as a lot make it out to be.

The man had just shown everybody who's ever run the 100 that there is a God and his name is Usain Bolt. I'd showboat a little too...

IUe6Hvh.png

The man had just shown everybody who's ever run the 100 that there is a God and his name is Usain Bolt. I'd showboat a little too...

I don't mind "the show" as Rogge put it, but I just wish that "Lightning" had just busted it through the line, did his very best on the world's biggest stage, and set a mark that would have had his peers saying, ":censored: it. Ain't no way I'm ever getting close to this!"

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't mind "the show" as Rogge put it, but I just wish that "Lightning" had just busted it through the line, did his very best on the world's biggest stage, and set a mark that would have had his peers saying, ":censored: it. Ain't no way I'm ever getting close to this!"

And that's true, but there's something about essentially saying "I just ran 100 meters faster than any man alive and I was really only trying for about 80 of them" that is so bad ass.

IUe6Hvh.png

I figured that he would've 'redeemed' himself after running a full 200 and breaking Michael Johnson's WR from the 96 Olympics, a record that many felt would be untouchable and stood for 12 years.

But eh.

I figured that he would've 'redeemed' himself after running a full 200 and breaking Michael Johnson's WR from the 96 Olympics, a record that many felt would be untouchable and stood for 12 years.

But eh.

I hear you, Flame, but people don't care about the 200 meters like they do about the 100.

Archived