The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Insane final in the women's BMX event, with riders dropping like flies at pretty much every turn. Ultimately France finished 1-2, with America's Jill Kitner taking the bronze.

There was also a wild crash on the next-to-last turn of the Men's final.

I see why they added BMX to the olympics, that stuff was extremely entertaining and globally competitive.

Insane final in the women's BMX event, with riders dropping like flies at pretty much every turn. Ultimately France finished 1-2, with America's Jill Kitner taking the bronze.

I see why they added BMX to the olympics, that stuff was extremely entertaining and globally competitive.

Yes after watching that BMX Final I too have changed my mind and I like that its in the Olympics.

As for USA Track our Sprinters have disappointed you can not deny this, we have four years of BALCO and now we are not in the finals of either relay which we dominate. Look at the history of track at the Olympics, we are better then this, we should be setting world records not Jamaica. These events have always belonged to the Americans, from Jesse Owens to Carl Lewis to Michael Johnson.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yes after watching that BMX Final I too have changed my mind and I like that its in the Olympics.

As for USA Track our Sprinters have disappointed you can not deny this, we have four years of BALCO and now we are not in the finals of either relay which we dominate. Look at the history of track at the Olympics, we are better then this, we should be setting world records not Jamaica. These events have always belonged to the Americans, from Jesse Owens to Carl Lewis to Michael Johnson.

I wish they didn't take it out of the X-games and put in stupid rally car racing. What is so extreme about that?

detsig.png

US sweeps Beach Volleyball. Wins Gold in both Men's and Women's tournaments.

I feel that the USA could sweep all volleyball events. Mens and womens beach volleyball are won. Both indoor titles arent impossible either.

oBIgzrL.png

I didn't see the races, but I don't think it's fair to either relay team to say that BALCO is the reason why the US isn't in the finals. They missed a handoff. It happens (albeit rarely). It sucks for us, but thems the breaks.

I also think you're selling countries like Jamaica short. As they've proven, they have quite the sprinting team. Just because historically the United States has done well in specific events doesn't mean we always will or we're entitled to them. Our athletes need to go out and earn those medals like everyone else. Is it a bummer that we didn't win some events that we expected to? Sure, but that doesn't mean that the athletes and countries that did win those events didn't deserve their win either.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

You do that, and you run the risk of losing these suprise stories. If the 1980 USA-USSR hockey match was best-of-3 (Technically, it wouldn't have happened since they weren't playing the gold-medal match, but sounds good for comparison's sake.), do you think the US wins one of the two other games?

What makes the Olympics great is that the winner is decided in one gold-medal match, and not a series.

It was the semifinal, the gold medal game was against Sweden

Hence the reason I put that statement in parenthesis.....

Using the patented McCarthy Point System (G=3 S=2 B=1) these are the medal standings at the end of the day (stateside). The United States pulls ahead by 4 points showing that sometimes quantity is greater than quality.

1. USA 194 (30, 35, 34 = 99)

2. China 190 (46, 15, 22=83)

3. Russia 100 (16, 16, 20=52)

4. Great Britain 86 (17, 12, 11=40)

5. Australia 75 (11, 14, 14=39)

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wish they didn't take it out of the X-games and put in stupid rally car racing. What is so extreme about that?

&
say that it's plenty extreme.

Currently watching the final set of the Men's beach final ... Dalhausser is a freaking beast!!

And finally we pull away from China in the overall medal count. :flagusa:

6uXNWAo.png

Currently watching the final set of the Men's beach final ... Dalhausser is a freaking beast!!

And finally we pull away from China in the overall medal count. :flagusa:

Even though I knew the result, I was still very pumped up after every shot he was sending back. He was just in the zone! :jawdrop: Reminded me when Brook Lopez of Stanford got like 15 blocks against USC one time

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The best event of the Olympics is. . .

50k WALK

Yeah but ridiculous events such as baseball and softball have no place in the olympics...

Oh yeah? When was the last time YOU walked 31-plus miles? :)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I believe that was the exact length that Whisordi had to go to from his hotel room to "pick up" his cousin date, take her to the prom, and walk home, rejected, after failing to get to first base with her.

Now that's entertainment.

philly.png

I believe that was the exact length that Whisordi had to go to from his hotel room to "pick up" his cousin date, take her to the prom, and walk home, rejected, after failing to get to first base with her.

Now that's entertainment.

If only Keith Hernandez and Walt "Clyde" Fraiser were calling that...

"rejected!"

^_^

VmWIn6B.png

Well, the US beat Argentina by 20...and looked impressive for only one quarter while doing so. I guess I'm impressed at the fact that they were able to hold off Argentina (that was playing without Nocioni & Ginobli for most of the game), play a bad game (for their standards) for 3 quarters and still win by 20.

At least they're guaranteed a better result than in 2004. Now they have Spain for the Gold.

Archived