The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

Now here's an interesting story, Iceland is in the final of the team handball competition.

With all the frostbite, you'd think they'd have a problem fielding a team.

... and ironically, Iceland have never won a medal in the WINTER Olmypics.

Also, have a look at the average temps in Iceland... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland#Climate

But they did win Silver at the Junior Goodwill Games in Ice Hockey.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now here's an interesting story, Iceland is in the final of the team handball competition.

Also, have a look at the average temps in Iceland... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland#Climate

quack quack quack mr ducksworth.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Great game. Watching Kobe and D-Wade take over in those final moments with the big plays was great. Poor defense by the US, and fantastic offensive execution by Spain. Juan Carlos Navarro and Rudy Fernandez put on a show. Could not have asked for a more entertaining game, only a better hour (2 am, really?).

Wade's defensive abilities were really showcased during these 3 weeks. If he doesn't play this kind of defense during the season for Miami, then there needs to be an intervention of some sorts as he is clearly capable of it when he's as focused and motivated as he is on the offensive end.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Awesome! Aside from Phelps, this was the one thing I truly cared about coming into these Olympics.

I really do love the approach these guys took, so kudos to not only the players, but to Coach K as well. Watching this team and watching 2004 team from Athens is night and day... guys moving off of the ball, passing more and dribbling less, and just overall a more unselfish effort. This team's been a lot of fun to watch on the defensive end, attacking passing lanes and creating fast break opportunities and easy buckets.

A very close game, apparently. Hope I get to see it when it airs!

IUe6Hvh.png

quack quack quack mr ducksworth.

"Gordon, stop quacking!"

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

I watched the first half, and couldn't hang around for the 2nd half...I'll have to watch the replay soon...but at least I know I'll be watchin the gold medalists in basketball! Woo! The gold is back!!!

The Spaniards hung around a bit longer than I had thought/hoped, but Team USA slammed the door shut when they needed to, and now they're golden again.

And so the Games are over. Here are the final medal counts.

By the way, for the three or so people who were curious about this: If Michael Phelps were his own country, the U.S. would still end up as the overall medal leaders (2 ahead of China) and second in golds (5 ahead of third-place Russia). Phelps, meanwhile, would be tied for 25th in total medals (with Romania and Turkey) and tied for 9th in golds (with Italy).

CCSLC signature.png

I watched the first half, and couldn't hang around for the 2nd half...I'll have to watch the replay soon...but at least I know I'll be watchin the gold medalists in basketball! Woo! The gold is back!!!

Props to Spain for keeping it close as close as they did and coming back every time the USA tried running away with it late in the game. As for the States, it's good to have the gold back where it belongs! :flagusa:

Also, the USA took gold in Men's Volleyball. Quite an amazing feat, especially considering what the team and head coach had to endure to overcome such a tragedy.

6uXNWAo.png

What has happened to American Boxing?

1 Medal? 1 Medal and its a Bronze?

How did our boxing program which was once the top in the world fall apart?

Because boxing is dying a slow, painful death.

MMA is replacing it in terms of popularity, so what incentive is there for America kids/teenagers to pick it up?

VmWIn6B.png

What has happened to American Boxing?

1 Medal? 1 Medal and its a Bronze?

How did our boxing program which was once the top in the world fall apart?

Because boxing is dying a slow, painful death.

MMA is replacing it in terms of popularity, so what incentive is there for America kids/teenagers to pick it up?

Boxing had been in decline. There are not as many compelling personalities like an Ali, Frazer, Tyson today. Also, the fact that there are multiple orgainisations that have champions make it very difficult for the average fan to follow the sport without being confused.

I saw, I came, I left.

Specific to the olympic boxing, I heard Teddy Atlas on ESPN about 3 weeks ago mention how in the US, amateur boxers train more to become professionals than olympic champions and that the two styles often conflict to the point that being an olympic fighter actually gets you further away from the pro boxing ranks. I was very surprised, but hey, Teddy Atlas knows the fight game as well as anyone alive.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Spaniards hung around a bit longer than I had thought/hoped, but Team USA slammed the door shut when they needed to, and now they're golden again.

By the way, for the three or so people who were curious about this: If Michael Phelps were his own country, the U.S. would still end up as the overall medal leaders (2 ahead of China) and second in golds (5 ahead of third-place Russia). Phelps, meanwhile, would be tied for 25th in total medals (with Romania and Turkey) and tied for 9th in golds (with Italy).

Well, if you went by the 3-2-1 point system, China would've edged out the U.S. by 3 points. Damn close. Luckily, right now at least, they don't use that system. :D

Either way, these were one helluva Olympics. The most exciting I've ever watched, and the most I've ever been into the whole thing, from day 1. Gonna be kinda boring now that they're over. Oh well, better get used to primetime television again.

Well, if you went by the 3-2-1 point system, China would've edged out the U.S. by 3 points. Damn close. Luckily, right now at least, they don't use that system. :D

Either way, these were one helluva Olympics. The most exciting I've ever watched, and the most I've ever been into the whole thing, from day 1. Gonna be kinda boring now that they're over. Oh well, better get used to primetime television again.

We'll see what happens in London when China doesn't get automatic qualifiers in everything.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived