The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
r2878942443.jpg

:blink:

BMX is an Olympic event??

Yet they're getting rid of actual sports like baseball and softball...

So ridiculous.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if any of the Americans took the 200, but I after he left me in awe in the 100, I find myself pulling for Usain Bolt.

IUe6Hvh.png

Bolt just took the 200M with ease... well, at least he didn't showboat until after the race this time.

That's because the NBC track color analyst had a sit-down with him. Apparently someone else felt sour towards his in-race celebration.

I watched the BMX last night on TV. It was cool and I especially liked the jump that took them over one of the turns, but it just didn't seem like the olympics. I wouldn't mind seeing vert skateboarding in the olympics. It involves tricks and judges like other sports. Plus that way Shaun White could be a gold medalist in winter and summer olympics.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bolt just took the 200M with ease... well, at least he didn't showboat until after the race this time.

Dude had it all backward. He should have showboated in the 200 since...1) he already had the gold in the 100M and 2) no one gives a damn about the 200M. They give the title "World's Fastest Man" to the 100M champ.

Meanwhile, on to the important stuff...basketball. In quarterfinal action, Team USA absolutely demolished Australia, 116-85. Some close game, huh? Also, Spain beat Croatia, 72-59, and Lithuania beat China, 94-68. The Redeem Team looks unstoppable, but the Greece/Argentina winner should be a bigger "test" for Kobe & Company.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Dude had it all backward. He should have showboated in the 200 since...1) he already had the gold in the 100M and 2) no one gives a damn about the 200M. They give the title "World's Fastest Man" to the 100M champ.

Meanwhile, on to the important stuff...basketball. In quarterfinal action, Team USA absolutely demolished Australia, 116-85. Some close game, huh? Also, Spain beat Croatia, 72-59, and Lithuania beat China, 94-68. The Redeem Team looks unstoppable, but the Greece/Argentina winner should be a bigger "test" for Kobe & Company.

Geez... Did they really need to put the boots to them? Oh, and if it is Argentina in the Semis, that will be the bigger test (Remember, the Americans smoked Greece in pool play)

r2878942443.jpg

:blink:

BMX is an Olympic event??

Yet they're getting rid of actual sports like baseball and softball...

So ridiculous.

Acutally...no...it really isnt.

Not when there are reasons for the other sports to be taken out. Frankly, I think Olympic baseball sucks. Does that mean I want it out? No. But, I understand why theyre taking it and softball out, and while I dont really support taking them out, I really cant say I will miss them either (however, my bet is they return if its in Chicago in 2016), because Ill admit, it would be alot better with MLB players...its just too bad its at a time when their MLB clubs need them most, so they cant do that.

Anyways, they didnt take those out just so they could put BMX in. Times change, and so do the olympics. Stuff gets added on. BMX is becoming a popular sport. I didnt think until watching this that the Netherlands and Latvia were good at it, and that it was so popular there.

I was skeptical of BMX also, I didnt think it belonged in the olympics. Then I watched it, and thought it was actually kinda cool. Its actually no different from the other bike races in the olympics, its just on dirt with jumps and banked turns. I have no problem with it staying around.

However, I would dislike it if they added the judged skatboarding and bike trick competitions.

oBIgzrL.png

I don't mind the addition of BMX (still getting used to the idea, but not as hard as I originally thought), but it IS stupid, not to mention contradictary, why they are removing baseball and softball:

-Baseball: They want star players, even though it's during the prime part of the MLB season.

-Softball: U.S. uses star players, but is TOO good that it isn't fair to the other competition.

OK, they want star players for baseball but not softball, and for that (or those) reasons, they get cut, even though they are the essence of Summer Sports? Yeah, makes sense. <_<

I can understand why they'd cut out softball: The U.S. has had absolutely NO competition since the sport started up in the Olympics. Why keep on having it when everyone else is basically playing for silver?

Geez... Did they really need to put the boots to them? Oh, and if it is Argentina in the Semis, that will be the bigger test (Remember, the Americans smoked Greece in pool play)

What the :censored: kind of question is that?

We just had people telling us that Australia was going to give Team USA a "good game" because the Aussies lost by 11 or something without Andrew Bogus...err, Bogut. Hell yeah they needed to put the boots to 'em to show all the haters. And Team USA is going to have to keep putting the boots on whoever they play (if they can), because nothing they ever do is good enough. They have to win gold and dominate every game they play or they'll be looked at colossal failures.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I can understand why they'd cut out softball: The U.S. has had absolutely NO competition since the sport started up in the Olympics. Why keep on having it when everyone else is basically playing for silver?

"Everyone else [was] basically playing for silver" for the majority of basketball's Olympic history. Perhaps time is all that's needed for the rest of the world to catch up.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

What the :censored: kind of question is that?

We just had people telling us that Australia was going to give Team USA a "good game" because the Aussies lost by 11 or something without Andrew Bogus...err, Bogut. Hell yeah they needed to put the boots to 'em to show all the haters. And Team USA is going to have to keep putting the boots on whoever they play (if they can), because nothing they ever do is good enough. They have to win gold and dominate every game they play or they'll be looked at colossal failures.

That's what I'm saying. Team USA is basically on a mission: Not only are they trying to win the gold, they're trying to smash everybody in the process. I say good for them. Let the world know what's up. (It's gonna be U.S. vs. Argentina in the semis, BTW)

And for the softball thing, at least basketball had the whole globalization thing going for it. Basketball has great players and stars across the world. Softball's stars are basically in the U.S., and unless they have a plan similar to the NBA's, I doubt softball will have as much 'parity' as basketball does right now. Maybe once it gets more competitive at their world championships, it'll be brought back to the olympics...but not now. The U.S. is way too dominant in softball. I never thought it would hurt to be too dominant, but it is for the softball team.

On MSNBC this afternoon, they had their correspondent talking about the loss of the Baseball and Softball in the future. She claims it was because a majority of the IOC is European and they just don't understand/compete/want Softball and Baseball in the future Olympics.

Archived