The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

I find it kinda weird that Korea and Japan get to use their professional players from their top leagues, while the Americans (and Canada) can't get players from MLB. Anyways I see Cuba taking gold like usual, Japan finishing second, and the USA taking bronze.

That was the way it was for a couple years in hockey when the NHL didn't break and that will be the way it is in hockey after 2010 when the NHL pulls out of the Olympics for 2014.

You can't really blame MLB it's right in the middle of a pennant race if a player, specifically a pitcher gets hurt playing in the Olympics it would be a huge controversy. This doesn't mention some Olympics take place in September which makes it worse. It's the same reason why the NHL is probably going to pull out of the Olympics after Vancouver.

But the winter olympics usually take place in February, which is about half way and when the All Star Game is. So its not as bad in hockey.

I would not want to see the NHL pull out of the olympics - it will take a ton of talent away from it for almost all countries. Sure, theres the IIHF championship and the World Cup, but unlike soccer where their world cup seemingly is the biggest prize with the olympics taking second, Olympic gold has always been the biggest prize on the international stage for hockey. Even when the USA was only sending out college kids, other countries were sending out their best, they just hadnt come over to the NHL yet.

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it kinda weird that Korea and Japan get to use their professional players from their top leagues, while the Americans (and Canada) can't get players from MLB. Anyways I see Cuba taking gold like usual, Japan finishing second, and the USA taking bronze.

That's what the World Baseball Classic is for.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

EEE. And I love how the commentators were saying don't show that anymore, but the network goes ahead and shows it from every one of their angles.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Meanwhile back at the Water Cube... stop the presses: Michael Phelps will NOT win a gold medal tonight! (Because he has no finals scheduled, that is.)

And in the womens' 100m freestyle, Australia's Libby Trickett finished out of the top eight in the semifinals, but backed into the finals when one of the other swimmers got DQ'd for flinching on the blocks before the start, a violation apparently caught on replay after the fact because they never called a false start. :lol:

CCSLC signature.png

A swede loses a decision to an italian, with a swiss, canadian, and cuban judge, in China.....

I don't see any connection or how this could be "political". The story doesn't elaborate on that...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived