The Thread of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Alphabet Man

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God I hate watching the Chinese in Olympics first off they are underaged and breaking the rules and now they are getting help form the judges. Shawn Johnson's performance was way better then that Chinese Athlete's but the judges give her the better score. I don't get this.

detsig.png

It's not like the all judges there are Chinese and they're blatantly fixing the scores for their home girls.

EDIT: Wow...I just used there, they're, and their in the same sentence. Weird.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Day 2 of Baseball is kind of in the books:

USA 7-0 Netherlands (8 innings, shortened due to rain)

China 0-0 South Korea (postponed due to rain)

Canada 6-7 Cuba

Japan 6-1 Chinese Taipei

Standings

Cuba 2-0

Korea 1-0

Canada 1-1

USA 1-1

Japan 1-1

Chinese Taipei 1-1

China 0-1

Netherlands 0-2

I'm really pleased that Canada was able to play Cuba so closely. Losing by 1 to the Cubans was much better than I was expecting. If they can keep the momentum going they should be able to win a medal. The China-Korea match that was postponed will be played on Sunday.

1zqy8ok.gif

AIBA has not recovered from 1988 and Seoul. Electronic scoring is still biased to a host nation. If I were an boxing coach, I would tell my fighter, "You have 8 minutes to knock that MF out!" When world champions they year before get beaten in the first round, there is something to be said of the system. Plus, look at how little "white part of the glove" there is now compared to youtube clips of 76, and even 84.

As for the women's gymnastics, if the USA did not place, would we really complain or rather would Romania or another nation complain as loudly as we have? Honestly, before the Games started, I heard NBC Sports' Ted Robinson on KNBR talk of the rumors that internationally the Chinese teams were using "their JV squads" only to have them, possibly even declared as World Champions, to be replaced by better athletes at these Games. I guess I would have heard the same things if we did not boycott the Moscow Games.

Well, there will be no no-no tonight for Team USA softball, as Canada got a hit with 2 outs in the bottom of the seventh (the last inning of a regulation softball game).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

North Korean shooter, Vietnamese gymnast test positive

The International Olympic Committee said shooter Kim Jong Su tested positive for propanolol after winning the silver medal in the 50-metre pistol and bronze in the 10-metre air pistol.

Propanolol is a banned betablocker, which can be used to prevent trembling in events such as shooting and archery.

The bronze medal in the 10-metre event now goes to American shooter Jason Turner. In the 50-metre event, China's Tan Zongliang moves up to the silver and Russia's Vladimir Isakov is upgraded to the bronze.

Gymnast Thi Ngan Thuong Do, who finished in last place in the women's floor exercise, tested positive for the diuretic furosemide.

Cheats the game and finishes in last place. That's just grand... :lol:

Wade-sig.png

The International Olympic Committee said shooter Kim Jong Su tested positive for propanolol after winning the silver medal in the 50-metre pistol and bronze in the 10-metre air pistol.

Propanolol is a banned betablocker, which can be used to prevent trembling in events such as shooting and archery.

The bronze medal in the 10-metre event now goes to American shooter Jason Turner. In the 50-metre event, China's Tan Zongliang moves up to the silver and Russia's Vladimir Isakov is upgraded to the bronze.

Gymnast Thi Ngan Thuong Do, who finished in last place in the women's floor exercise, tested positive for the diuretic furosemide.

... sneaky North Koreans...PropanoLOL?

I saw, I came, I left.

And it's ready-made fodder for anti-doping PSA campaigns. This is the type of incident that the IOC, USADA, etc. should be playing up if they want to discourage athletes from getting juiced, because it goes to show that that's no guarantee of even being a medal contender, much less a medalist.

As for the North Korean, no surprise there. But again, I'm not a fan of playing "musical medals" and rearranging the final standings after the fact. Even though that means an American shooter would have been SOL, they should just leave Kim's spot vacant and not re-award his medals.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived