CFL Labour Day Classic

kiwi_canadian

Interesting combo for the Eskimos. They are in white pants and white jersey and have a green helmet, different from their original yellow one. I personally think they look pretty damn good. As for Calgary, they have the gold pants going on. No pictures as of yet because the game is on, but after the game, there should be.

I still do not understand why the Stamps have thos stupid looking gold pants. They have no gold anywhere else in their uniforms, nor have they ever have, and it looks ridiculous with black and red, especially because the pants don't match any part of the jersey.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I still do not understand why the Stamps have thos stupid looking gold pants. They have no gold anywhere else in their uniforms, nor have they ever have, and it looks ridiculous with black and red, especially because the pants don't match any part of the jersey.

I don't get it either. It's like they want to be the 49ers of 1980's or something? :therock: As of the esks, I like those green helmets.

I saw, I came, I left.

From tsn.ca:

ray_75235.jpg

And from cfl.ca:

Ricky_Ray_September_1_1.jpg

Huh... interesting. It's a shock, considering how used we are to seeing the gold helmets. I thought, though, there was going to be a different logo on there. Ah well.

Can't find any of the Stamps' gold pants, but with those ultra-modern red unis? Ick.

EDIT: Found something on the Stamps' website:

rambogold_news.jpg

The Calgary Stampeders hit the field for warm-ups on Monday afternoon sporting a new (old) look for the Labour Day Classic.

Dressed in their usual red home jerseys, the Stamps are wearing gold pants for their showdown with the Edmonton Eskimos.

"We did it for a change because everyone expects us to wear black on Labour Day," said Stamps equipment manager George Hopkins. "Sometimes it's nice to do the unexpected."

The look is similar to the combination Hopkins broke out for games in the 2001 and 2002 seasons. Of course, the Reebok jerseys give it a completely different feel.

"The gold pants are actually part of our tradition because we wore them for six years in the 60's," said Hopkins, in his 36th season with the Stamps. "Labour Day has a lot of tradition and we're actually reaching into our past with these new pants."

And from the Calgary Herald:

labourloss.jpg

Green helmet, white jersey, green pants would have been sexy.

OR hopefully we see the green helmet busted out at home down the road. Itd be interesting to see a fully monochrome look just for kicks, but I don't know if I'd like it.

Also, would improve the gold uni a lot.

OR hopefully we see the green helmet busted out at home down the road.

Sounds like we will be seeing that. TSN said during the game that the Eskimos will be wearing the green helmets again on Friday for the Labour Day rematch in Edmonton. Afterwards, they'll be auctioned off for charity.

Yeah, sounds like we'll be seeing the Esks in green from head to toe next week, unless they break out the gold jerseys.

The green helmets are the only ones worn with the regular 'Double E' logo so far this year. The gold helmets have had a special '60 Seasons' logo.

EE60.gif

Ray.jpg

I always thought the Packers would look good in a green helmet with a yellow ring around the oval-g, and this more-less confirms it.

The Esks should seriously consider going to green shells full time. I know they've worn yellow at least since a few years before the Warren Moon era, but they've always looked like Packers knock offs to me. Only downside would be that each CFL team currently has a unique colored shell and that would no longer be true.

Calgary wore the gold pants in 2001-02 a few times, the first time being with an ugly throwback jersey in 2001 for the 50th anniversary of the CFL on CBC, against Montreal. Kamau Peterson was talking about those 2001 retro jerseys in the Edmonton Sun the other day, referring to them as the "KFC Boxes" because of the red and white striping at the top and down the side... anyone else remember those? Here's a rough picture of them.

crandell_marcus1020.jpg

Archived