MLB awards 08

BJBerthiaume

I just wanted to see who everyone thinks will win the big awards this year.

Here are my picks:

AL MVP: Carlos Quentin

AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee

AL ROY: Evan Longoria

AL Manager of the Year: Joe Maddon

NL MVP: Ryan Braun

NL Cy Young: C.C. Sabathia

NL ROY: Geovany Soto

NL Manager of the Year: Lou Pinella

Well these are my picks lets see what you guys think.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to be an OK time to speculate:

AL MVP: Francisco Rodriguez

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb

NL Manager of the Year: I abstain from voting here, because it is pointless. It will be whoever manages the team with the best record, which is in no way indicative of one's managing ability.

You know, even though I know Evan Longoria is the frontrunner and will probably win the ROY award, I really want Alexei Ramirez to win it.

AL ROY: Alexei Ramirez

NL ROY: Jair Jurrjens, just 'cause :P

NL Manager of the Year: Lou Piniella

LB2nd.png

chicagowhitesox.pngchicagobears.pngchicagobulls.pngchicagoblackhawks.pngchicagofire.png

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Yeah, what he said...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb

NL Manager of the Year: Lou Piniella

6uXNWAo.png

AL MVP: Frankie Rodriguez (homer pick, but it's at least marginally jusitified)

AL Manager of the Year: Joe Maddon, although Scoscia should get a look again

NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb...Lincecum should get a look, but ultimately lose due to less wins

NL Manager of the Year: Sweet Lou

AL Cy Young: Francisco Rodriguez

AL ROY: Armando Galarraga

AL MOY: Joe Maddon

NL MVP: Albert Pujols or Ryan Braun

NL Cy Young: Tim Lincecum (Sabathia is close)

NL ROY: Jair Jurrjens (We sure do miss him in Detroit. At least I do.)

NL MOY: Ned Yost

AL MVP: Frankie Rodriguez (homer pick, but it's at least marginally jusitified)

if K-Rod is your MVP surely he would have to win the Cy Young by default?

my picks;

NL Cy Young: Tim Lincecum

fivebaseball3.png

Joe Morgan on 'Moneyball' - "Why would I wanna read a book about a computer, that gives computer numbers?"

1. It's way too early and 2. How does Sabathia get close to the Cy Young if he's only in the league for 3 months? That would be travesty in my mind.

Anyway.

AL Cy Young:Roy Halladay (Marginally over Cliff Lee)

AL RoY: Jacoby Ellsbury (if he keeps his hot streak through September, Longoria if not but I think Longoria has/will missed too much time)

NL Cy Young: Dan Haren (Marginally over Webb, then Lincecum and Zambrano)

NL RoY: Geovany Soto (I haven't seen the consistency from Jair, though the talent is there)

NL Manager of the Year: Tony La Russa

Wow...lots of love for Pujols. Didn't think there would be many votes outside of St. Louis this year.

Way to do you're homework everyone. His non counting stats are just amazing...and his counting stats are slowly creeping into top 5 in the league categories. If Ryan Ludwick didn't have such a monster year taking away RBIs, he didn't have the lingering elbow injury taking away a few home runs, I think that Pujols would seriously be in contention for the Triple Crown this year.

Anyway...my picks:

AL MVP: Quintin

AL CY: Francisco Rodriguez

AL ROY: (Honestly I don't know well enough...but I'll throw Longoria in there...he was mighty impressive)

AL MOY: Whoever has the best record I guess...

NL MVP: Pujols

NL Cy: CC has been dominate...he won't win but his time in the NL has been nothing short of spectacular.

NL ROY: Soto

NL Manager: See AL...

Guys, do you realize that K-Rod hasn't pitched yet in a save situation with a man on base (when he enters)? He has yet to pitch more than an inning in a game.

I don't think a reliever should be in the running for MVP. The save is a very overrated stat. The guy is pitching one inning a night. He's great at it but here's the question. Would the Angels still be in first if they had a bullpen by committee that had say 30-35 saves? Maybe not by 15 games or whatever it is but they'd still be there. So if his team is still great without him how does that make him an MVP candidate?

Also, if the stats Wilson posted are correct then K-Rod shouldn't be in the running for the Cy Young either. Actually, I don't think relievers should be in the Cy Young race period. I think Cliff Lee going 20-2 on a bad team is far more impressive than getting a :censored:-load of saves for a great team. Hell, Lee may be 22-0 or better if he's pitching for The Angels instead of The Indians.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Guys, do you realize that K-Rod hasn't pitched yet in a save situation with a man on base (when he enters)? He has yet to pitch more than an inning in a game.

I don't think a reliever should be in the running for MVP. The save is a very overrated stat. The guy is pitching one inning a night. He's great at it but here's the question. Would the Angels still be in first if they had a bullpen by committee that had say 30-35 saves? Maybe not by 15 games or whatever it is but they'd still be there. So if his team is still great without him how does that make him an MVP candidate?

Also, if the stats Wilson posted are correct then K-Rod shouldn't be in the running for the Cy Young either. Actually, I don't think relievers should be in the Cy Young race period. I think Cliff Lee going 20-2 on a bad team is far more impressive than getting a :censored:-load of saves for a great team. Hell, Lee may be 22-0 or better if he's pitching for The Angels instead of The Indians.

Not to mention the fact that there's no shortage of guys who've been better than K-Rod -- I can think of five based on ERA alone in the American League -- but have had less save opportunities? Why reward a guy for something he has no control over?

IUe6Hvh.png

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton, Texas

Carlos Quentin might get it if not for Dye; Hamilton has 5 fewer HRs, higher BA and many more RBIs and no teammates up there

AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee, Cleveland

I want Roy Halladay to take it but Lee has just been too phenomenal

AL RoY: Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay

Better numbers in every paid-attention-to offensive category

AL MoY: Joe Maddon, Tampa Bay

No contest

NL MVP: Albert Pujols, St. Louis

.361/30/91 with a month to go is too hard to ignore (even with Ryan Ludwick's good numbers)... Lance Berkman/Carlos Lee in Houston also putting up MVP type numbers, but teammates hurt each other

NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb, Arizona

Although CC Sabathia deserves the half-year Cy Young

NL RoY: Geovany Soto, Chicago

Same reason as Longoria, Jair Jurrjens is hurt by his W-L record (not that he should be)

NL MoY: Ned Yost, Milwaukee

Good job getting the Brewers back into the playoffs for the first time since I was 2 months old

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Those are the key words.

A typical Frankie save opportunity:

Single, K, SB, BB, K, flyout. Seriously, let him walk, save the money for reupping on Vlad and signing Teixiera long term, and bring in Arredondo in the 9th next year.

VmWIn6B.png

Those are the key words.

A typical Frankie save opportunity:

Single, K, SB, BB, K, flyout. Seriously, let him walk, save the money for reupping on Vlad and signing Teixiera long term, and bring in Arredondo in the 9th next year.

Got that right. Just imagine how many saves Nathan, Rivera, Papelbon, Sherrill, or Soria would have if they were on the Angels.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived