Cubs-Astros in Milwaukee

BJ Sands

They're doing it in protest. LOL

And the Astros should protest. Typical MLB money-first, money-second, money-third business decision to use Milwaukee as a "neutral" site. Atlanta would have been better -- it's further away from Chicago and it's close to Florida, where the Astros play next.

Milwaukee has a roof. The ideal site probably would've been Tropicana Field, though.

Incidentally, with the severe flooding around Chicago, it's not as if many Cubs fans can be bothered to see a ballgame right now, either.

Holy :censored:! I mean, a no-hitter can happen anywhere, but that's amazing! Props to Big Z for a major accomplishment and boos to the MLB for pretty much screwing everything up.

How much blame goes to the Astros for, by all accounts, dragging their feet on this series?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Holy :censored:! I mean, a no-hitter can happen anywhere, but that's amazing! Props to Big Z for a major accomplishment and boos to the MLB for pretty much screwing everything up.

How much blame goes to the Astros for, by all accounts, dragging their feet on this series?

I'm not disputing that, but I am saying that everyone and their grandma is going to now question the MLB's decision on this one. I can't wait until I turn on ESPN and I hear Tim "when I was on the beat..." Kurkjian saying that this no-hitter was cheap. <_<

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

They're doing it in protest. LOL

And the Astros should protest. Typical MLB money-first, money-second, money-third business decision to use Milwaukee as a "neutral" site. Atlanta would have been better -- it's further away from Chicago and it's close to Florida, where the Astros play next.

Milwaukee has a roof. The ideal site probably would've been Tropicana Field, though.

Incidentally, with the severe flooding around Chicago, it's not as if many Cubs fans can be bothered to see a ballgame right now, either.

The Trop was probably not an option as both the venue probably had to be available both Sunday and Monday, with the Rays hosting the Sox tonight-Wednesday, that became out of the question.

I'd say at least 99%. Hell, as of Saturday noon time, the Astros said that Minute Maid was playable. That's a joke. As Firefly says, Houston/Galveston is a mess, and 'Stros owner Drayton McLane wants to have millionares playing baseball in the middle of it? Yeah, great PR that would have brought.

McLane's inability to see (before the storm, btw) the inevitability that this series would have to be played somewhere other than Minute Maid is the real culprit here. I'm sure that Bud Selig tried to step in, and convince Drayton to move the series well ahead of Friday's scheduled game one, but this isn't the NFL, and Bud is no Roger Goodell. He doesn't have unilateral power to move a series.

In this case, McLane comes out the loser, and his team childishly "protests" the Cubs "home" game by wearing road gray pants. Well, they may back into the Wild Card spot, but they also lost a ton of momentum as well.. As a Cubs fan, I'm glad they paid more attnetion to being upset about the location of last night's (and today's game) then the game itself. My team's got a Division to win.

Moose

What was wrong with Arlington, Texas at the Rangers' park? Was it raining there too that they couldn't play there closer to Houston so Astro fans can attend rather than Milwaukee which is close to Chicago

Today both teams are again wearing gray pants but in addition since the Cubs are wearing their road jerseys today both teams are wearing jerseys featuring their city names. Cubs are in their road "Chicago" jerseys and the Astros are wearing their red "Houston" jerseys.

Now I know we have seen this effect with the Rockies because they have their 'Colorado' vest that they wear at home as well but are their other teams that have an alt that features their city name and is worn both at home and on the road? I'm trying to think of one but I can't off the top of my head.

Edit: Texas Rangers have their blue 'Texas' alt.

mets.png

You can blame McLane and Astros for acting like idiots by protesting a baseball game while people are suffering back in their hometown due to Hurricane Ike.

You can also put some blame on the Astros players for putting zero effort in last night's game. After a decent late-season rally, they've pretty much sent it in for 2008.

Oh by the way, the 'Stros are being no-hit again today thru 3 innings.

6uXNWAo.png

On ESPN this afternoon Houston columnist Richard Justice confirmed the Astros' use of their road threads IS a protest against having to play in Milwaukee.

As people have posted here ... they had their chance to facilitate some better option.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

What was wrong with Arlington, Texas at the Rangers' park? Was it raining there too that they couldn't play there closer to Houston so Astro fans can attend rather than Milwaukee which is close to Chicago

The Rangers host DET tonight, besides you could not move the series prior if MLB has no idea how the storm will track and it that area too.

It's easy to say "what about Arlington?" or "they should have played in Atlanta!!!" or whatever. The fact is that it's not as simple as Selig just announcing where the game will be played. It takes a huge staff and a lot of planning to host an event, and those other cities may not have been able to put together the crew necessary to put on a game. In addition, there could have been things like maintenance going on in the parks.

It's entirely possible that Milwaukee and maybe a couple of select other cities are designated as "alternate site" games, and have contingency plans already in place for last-minute rescheduling of games, or have a staff that is "on call" for this kind of thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's easy to say "what about Arlington?" or "they should have played in Atlanta!!!" or whatever. The fact is that it's not as simple as Selig just announcing where the game will be played. It takes a huge staff and a lot of planning to host an event, and those other cities may not have been able to put together the crew necessary to put on a game. In addition, there could have been things like maintenance going on in the parks.

It's entirely possible that Milwaukee and maybe a couple of select other cities are designated as "alternate site" games, and have contingency plans already in place for last-minute rescheduling of games, or have a staff that is "on call" for this kind of thing.

There is also something to be said about Selig's ties to Milwaukee. Although he's not an "owner" of the team anymore, he still knows people there and I'm sure they help out because of this.

It sucks that Houston has to essentially play a road game for 2 of their home games, but there isn't much else to do. It sucks.

Archived