MLB Playoffs

gingerbreadmann

I agree I think this era of Red Sox baseball is ending, they have a good young core, but I think the days of Papi are numbered, Varitek looks washed up, Wakefield should retire, and Manny is already gone.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree I think this era of Red Sox baseball is ending, they have a good young core, but I think the days of Papi are numbered, Varitek looks washed up, Wakefield should retire, and Manny is already gone.

Couldn't disagree more tank. Their farm system is one of the best in baseball, their three ace caliber starting pitchers are 28, 28, and 24 years old, and they're really only "old" at a few spots. They have the pieces in the minors to A. replace or B. trade for replacements for whomever they'll eventually need to replace. This Sox team is built to contend for a long time with their farm system and money.

They're fully capable of signing anyone on the market.

They ran into a hot team and got no situational hitting. It's really not the end of the world. They're still the golden standard for how a big market team should be constructed. They already look a lot better to go into 2009 than they did going into 2007 after the 2006 season.

Wakefield's easily replacable, Beckett's oblique is going to heal eventually, and Lester is one of the best lefties in baseball.

edit: I think Varitek's replacement is somewhere in Texas' system. I'd like Laird, but Salty and Teagarden are possibilities, though I don't think Salty will be a catcher in the future.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yeah, the Red Sox aren't going anywhere. They've got the money of the New York teams and the farm system of a small market power. They'll definitely be around.

But the old names are definitely beginning their fade.

Yeah, the Red Sox aren't going anywhere. They've got the money of the New York teams and the farm system of a small market power. They'll definitely be around.

Fortunately the combination of the farm system and money make them very capable of replacing them -- the Sox have a boatload of options they can pursue. But that's another conversation for another day -- I'll try not to focus on the offseason until the Red Sox actually begin theirs, and will, even then, try to focus on the teams that are still playing.

IUe6Hvh.png

What are the dirt circles for that are next to the first and third base lines at Fenway?

i was always under the impression that those were the old on-deck circles from when the deadball era existed and they've just kept them there for historical sake. though i could be totally wrong

Actually those are for Fungo hitters in pre-game. IE...hitting ground balls to the infielders. They are in those locations so two can go at once. The first base side hits to the short stop and third base while the third base side hits to second at first. Sometimes this is done during BP in between pitches. But I doubt that happens as much at the ML level.

Do they really need dirt cutouts to know where to stand? It seems a little unnecessary... unless it's just there because "it's always been that way."

Well if you think about it...hitting ground balls every day all summer in the same location is eventually going to beat down the grass. Its just there to reduce wear and tear on the turf. Just look at outfield position areas in some fields towards the end of the summer. You can see the exact location of where they are playing most the time. When hitting grounders the coach is going to be in the same 3 foot circle for hours every day. Just like the big padding/tarp that gets put in front of the cage during batting practice.

That does make some sense. I'm still curious why none of the other fields have them (unless they do and I'm just ignorant.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Who is the home team for these middle 3 games? The Rays seem more comfortable playing at Fenway than the Red Sox do.

10-1 Now.

It's like they're saying "So this is the "big stage" that everybody was talking about? Like we're supposed to be scared of it? ...really?" and proceeded to take a dump all over it.

This is seriously amazing.

The Rays, so far at least, have not been fazed by anything. Pennant race? No big deal. First ever playoff appearance? Nothing to it. Fenway Park and The Mighty Red Sox? How does outscoring Boston 22-5 in two games so far (they might not be done yet) look to you? Seriously amazing indeed.

And where are all the media people who were calling for the Rays to choke right up until...well today actually?

It's our era's version of the '69 Mets. Enjoy it folks. This :censored: doesn't happen very often.

Actually it won't happen, as the phillies are gonna win the world series.

Shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up! shut up!!!

In all seriousness - there's no way that the Phillies would be favored over the Rays. I thought they were just one of these young teams playing over their heads untill it all came crashing down, but now I'm convinced - they're for real... and they're real good. I'm hoping, but it's important to be realistic too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

the latest Vegas odds have the Phils as the favorite

The Phillies gotta make it to the world Series first.

I'm reminded of all the Indians fans around my area that were high-fiveing and talking about how they were going to destroy the Rockies after going up 3-1 on the Red Sox last year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

the latest Vegas odds have the Phils as the favorite

The Phillies gotta make it to the world Series first.

I'm reminded of all the Indians fans around my area that were high-fiveing and talking about how they were going to destroy the Rockies after going up 3-1 on the Red Sox last year.

I think I said something similar to this last season...I'll believe the Red Sox are done when the final out of the 4th Rays victory is made. Until then, this is anyone's series. The same thing goes for The Phillies. You're in the world series once you beat The Dodgers 4 times. As of right now that has not happened. Take it from someone who has seen their team blow a 3-1 lead. :D

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

So why are there off days between Games 4 and 5, even though they're played in the same city? When did this start?

Just last season. It was done to make the playoffs more TV friendly by not having the World Series span two weekends (when there's less TV viewers).

What are the dirt circles for that are next to the first and third base lines at Fenway?

i was always under the impression that those were the old on-deck circles from when the deadball era existed and they've just kept them there for historical sake. though i could be totally wrong

Actually those are for Fungo hitters in pre-game. IE...hitting ground balls to the infielders. They are in those locations so two can go at once. The first base side hits to the short stop and third base while the third base side hits to second at first. Sometimes this is done during BP in between pitches. But I doubt that happens as much at the ML level.

Do they really need dirt cutouts to know where to stand? It seems a little unnecessary... unless it's just there because "it's always been that way."

Well if you think about it...hitting ground balls every day all summer in the same location is eventually going to beat down the grass. Its just there to reduce wear and tear on the turf. Just look at outfield position areas in some fields towards the end of the summer. You can see the exact location of where they are playing most the time. When hitting grounders the coach is going to be in the same 3 foot circle for hours every day. Just like the big padding/tarp that gets put in front of the cage during batting practice.

That does make some sense. I'm still curious why none of the other fields have them (unless they do and I'm just ignorant.)

Wrigley's got them too (or did...its been awhile since I looked). It is more an old school thing but that's the reason for them.

Fortunately the combination of the farm system and money make them very capable of replacing them -- the Sox have a boatload of options they can pursue. But that's another conversation for another day -- I'll try not to focus on the offseason until the Red Sox actually begin theirs, and will, even then, try to focus on the teams that are still playing.

Exactly. Here's a quick list of their youth on the team or at least in the system:

C - George Kottaras (Age 25 - Pawtucket)

1B - Kevin Youkilis (Age 29 - Boston)

2B - Dustin Pedroia (Age 24 - Boston)

3B - Argenis Diaz (Age 21 - Portland)

SS - Jed Lowrie (Age 24 - Boston/Pawtucket)

OF - Jacoby Ellsbury (Age 24 - Boston)

OF - Coco Crisp (Age 28 - Boston)

OF - Chris Carter (Age 25 - Pawtucket)

P - Michael Bowden (Age 21 - Pawtucket)

P - Edgar Martinez (Age 26 - Pawtucket)

P - Justin Masterson (Age 23 - Boston)

P - Daniel Bard (Age 23 - Portland)

P - Jonathan Papelbon (Age 27 - Boston)

Again, just a small list of what they have. I'm not saying that these other young guys are going to be superstars, but it's just what they have to experiment with right now.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Exactly. Here's a quick list of their youth on the team or at least in the system:

C - George Kottaras (Age 25 - Pawtucket)

1B - Kevin Youkilis (Age 29 - Boston)

2B - Dustin Pedroia (Age 24 - Boston)

3B - Argenis Diaz (Age 21 - Portland)

SS - Jed Lowrie (Age 24 - Boston/Pawtucket)

OF - Jacoby Ellsbury (Age 24 - Boston)

OF - Coco Crisp (Age 28 - Boston)

OF - Chris Carter (Age 25 - Pawtucket)

P - Michael Bowden (Age 21 - Pawtucket)

P - Edgar Martinez (Age 26 - Pawtucket)

P - Justin Masterson (Age 23 - Boston)

P - Daniel Bard (Age 23 - Portland)

P - Jonathan Papelbon (Age 27 - Boston)

Again, just a small list of what they have. I'm not saying that these other young guys are going to be superstars, but it's just what they have to experiment with right now.

And then there's Buchholz, who just needs to figure his mechanics out, Lars Anderson, Josh Reddick, and a very raw guy in Michael Almanzar who's 17 and a about three years away but has plus plus power potential. They are loaded with young talent. They may not draft high every year, but they get the guy's who fall only because they're going to be tough signs.

Regarding this series... there's an 18-3 pitcher on the mound tomorrow followed by Beckett and Lester. It's unlikely that they come back, but it was unlikely in 2004 and 2007 too. I don't really see how guys can question this teams heart and say the Rays have more -- just because the Red Sox aren't all rah rah and aren't playing with a chip on their shoulder doesn't mean they care any less, they're just not getting it done with men on, Beckett pitched hurt, and Wake hasn't gotten it done in the postseason in a while. I mean, this is predominantly the same team that came back from a 3-1 deficit last year and crushed a team with "more heart", the Rockies.

That said, if this leads to some changes to next years roster, won't be the worst thing ever.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm honestly not counting out the Red Sox. They're very much the defending champions, and until the Rays can get that 4th win, they ain't out.

[stephen A. Smith]HOWEVUH[/stephen A. Smith], like everybody else has said, this hole is unlike any other. It's not like Cleveland or New York basically did what Tampa did and dumptrucked them in consecutive games AT FENWAY.

The Sox aren't out, but they are definitely facing a bigger challenge this time around.

I'm honestly not counting out the Red Sox. They're very much the defending champions, and until the Rays can get that 4th win, they ain't out.

[stephen A. Smith]HOWEVUH[/stephen A. Smith], like everybody else has said, this hole is unlike any other. It's not like Cleveland or New York basically did what Tampa did and dumptrucked them in consecutive games AT FENWAY.

The Sox aren't out, but they are definitely facing a bigger challenge this time around.

Yankees had homefield advantage in the 2004 ALCS and had taken a 3-0 lead on a 19-8 blowout in Fenway. And they held leads late in games four and five with Rivera on the mound. And hell, they had ace pitching with a torn tendon that was sutured in place hours before the game in game six. Given the choice, I'd much rather the situation the Sox are in now.

Again, not saying they will come back, or even that they'll get back to Tampa -- but they're fully capable of doing it.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yankees had homefield advantage in the 2004 ALCS and had taken a 3-0 lead on a 19-8 blowout in Fenway. And they held leads late in games four and five with Rivera on the mound. And hell, they had ace pitching with a torn tendon that was sutured in place hours before the game in game six. Given the choice, I'd much rather the situation the Sox are in now.

Again, not saying they will come back, or even that they'll get back to Tampa -- but they're fully capable of doing it.

Tampa has a much better pitching staff than the Yankees did that year. The Yankees basically had Mussina and that was it. Jon Lieber was decent but after those two they were left with nothing. El Duque was their best pitcher down the stretch and a late injury basically knocked him off the staff for the playoffs. The Yankees had to basically scramble for a game 7 starter before turning to Kevin Brown with a broken hand. On the other hand the Rays have 3 solid starters to turn to for the final 3 games in Kazmir, Sheilds, and Garza. I don't see the Red Sox at this time winning 3 games in a row against those 3.

Tampa has a much better pitching staff than the Yankees did that year. The Yankees basically had Mussina and that was it. Jon Lieber was decent but after those two they were left with nothing. El Duque was their best pitcher down the stretch and a late injury basically knocked him off the staff for the playoffs. The Yankees had to basically scramble for a game 7 starter before turning to Kevin Brown with a broken hand. On the other hand the Rays have 3 solid starters to turn to for the final 3 games in Kazmir, Sheilds, and Garza. I don't see the Red Sox at this time winning 3 games in a row against those 3.

For games 5-7, the Red Sox had Schilling pitching on an unprecedented medical procedure that was performed hours before the game, Tim Wakefield, and Derek Lowe pitching on two days rest in game seven. None of those matchups were tilted very far in the Sox favor.

But fine... let's examine against Cleveland. The Indians had C.C. and Fausto pitching games 5 and 6.

Kazmir's been shaky, I think Maddon's acknowledging that by having him pitch game 5 (sets up a much more favorable matchup in Shields vs. an injured Beckett).

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived