MLB 2009

mania

Am I mistaken or did the Braves have an all-navy hat around 1995, 1996? Probably am.

Double-bullseye on the iconic red-billed hat. It looks great, and more importantly, it looks like the Braves. As I keep harping, I don't get this desire by a few teams to dull their appearances on the road. The Nationals would go from red and white to navy and grey and it diluted their branding even more than it already was. The A's sub out their iconic hat--white A, green crown, gold bill--for a yellow A on all green, which is decidedly less interesting. Cardinals going from red to navy, same deal. Just because you're wearing grey doesn't mean the rest of the package has to be less visually compelling. If anything, that's a time to let those contrasting colors pop.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are. Last year was the first time they wore an all-navy cap since they first moved to Atlanta. Also, I could not agree more with you on the A's road hat. I don't see any went with it. I have seen many games of the classic 1980's Oakland teams in the road unis with the green and yellow hat, and I thought they were the greatest unis ever.

Also, I just noticed the post about the Braves making the all-navy cap the regular road hat. They wore it with the grey road jersey several time last season, and I didn't like it. It makes the road uni look too drab. They should only wear the navy hat with the navy jersey.

There is no way that this...

Atlanta%20Braves%20v%20Milwaukee%20Brewers%205wsdDwL0zKKl.jpg

...looks better than this.

Chipper-Jones-R.article.jpg

The only perk about this would be if they chose to wear an all-navy batting helmet on the road. Personally, I think that that will be a great idea because that means that the regular navy-and-red batting helmet won't clash with the all-navy jersey. At least that my road hat is more relevant now.

Am I mistaken or did the Braves have an all-navy hat around 1995, 1996? Probably am.

Double-bullseye on the iconic red-billed hat. It looks great, and more importantly, it looks like the Braves. As I keep harping, I don't get this desire by a few teams to dull their appearances on the road. The Nationals would go from red and white to navy and grey and it diluted their branding even more than it already was. The A's sub out their iconic hat--white A, green crown, gold bill--for a yellow A on all green, which is decidedly less interesting. Cardinals going from red to navy, same deal. Just because you're wearing grey doesn't mean the rest of the package has to be less visually compelling. If anything, that's a time to let those contrasting colors pop.

To be fair, the Braves used to use an all navy cap on the road when they first moved to Atlanta. I actually prefer the all navy cap on the road (since it has at least something of a history,) but I think it would work better if the tomahawk were blue.

Here we go--> 1968

There is no way that this...

Atlanta%20Braves%20v%20Milwaukee%20Brewers%205wsdDwL0zKKl.jpg

...looks better than this.

Chipper-Jones-R.article.jpg

Which is why I don't like the move. The red-billed hat looks much better with the grey. They should've just done what they did last year, and only bust out the navy caps for the road alts and select road games. It looks drab. I could understand if navy was the dominate color on the gray, but you can't do that when red is the dominate color.

Me too. It is the only Braves hat that I wear (I wore out my Sunday cap a few years back, and I haven't bought a fitted home hat). I was just saying that it doesn't look good as the primary road hat. However, it looks terrific with the navy jersey. I used the road alt almost all the time when I play MVP 2005 on my computer (I downloaded the mod that has up-to-date unis).

Actually, I personally think that all the Braves need to do is to flip the order of the piping on the road uni. It think that it looks pretty good. (Sorry for the big photo. I had to make it this big for the red button to stand out. Again, this is a suggestion for a change to make if they had to make a change). Also, sorry for the navy outline around the pants.

bravesroadmock.jpg

ahhh why cant they just keep the Navy Hats with the Navy jerseys. Altough I wish they would change the Navy alts. to something like this.

BravesAltWhatitshouldlooklike.png

Just a quick photoshop job I did, I really hate the Navy script and Numbers on Navy background, needs more red in it.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

For the past 20 years the Braves have had arguably the best road uniform in baseball. The red billed hat with the road greys just looks great. While I like the road alt hat, I can't stand the jersey as it is way too hard to read the letters and numbers. I'm in the camp of just leaving the road alt hat for the road alt's.

So this is the new trend, scripts that are the same color as the jersey.

pMLB2-4680478t130.gifpMLB2-5472322t130.gifpMLB2-5598951t130.gifpMLB2-5432226t130.gif

Well....the Rays are the ones who pulled it off the best.

Yea, but if the Rays would just make their wordmark white, that would be a great looking jersey.

I am also a fan of the navy Braves alt with the all-navy cap. Beats the red for me, and I guess I'm more forgiving with road uni variations for traditional teams. That said, I think the regular cap should stay with the regular road. Red is so much a part of the classic look that the cap looks wrong without it.

I don't have a problem with 4 color-on-color jerseys out of 30 teams. I have my traditional tendencies, but variety is fine. (And the Giants no longer use theirs, correct?) Maybe the Braves and Giants wouldn't be my first choices for experimentation, but as long as they are all used in moderation... Of course, I grew up watching the '80s Braves on WTBS, so this might not be as jarring for me.

Also, someone mentioned the Cubs changes on Dressed to the Nines:

nl_2008_chicago.gif

nl_2009_chicago.gif

Not showing a blue button on the road cap here, which makes more sense anyway. The logo on the pants is no bigger either. Also good.

Glad to see they finally resized the C on the cap. Always was a pet peeve of mine... hope the replica helmets get fixed now, too. It was obviously too large.

I'm more bugged by the split "a" on the Atlanta road jerseys (both versions) than I am by anything else in their set. You wind up with two different width versions of the same letter on the same jersey. It looks stupid.

They have produced this jersey with the first "a" un-split. (I know, because I own one.) Don't know why they can't go back to that version.

I'm in the minority, but I freakin' love the all blue Braves hat (even though I despise the team). It's simplicity is so classy.

Absolutely agreed. I fell in love with that cap the instant I saw it.

I love the Braves' alt cap too, just not with the aways. Too much red on the jersey and absolutely no red on the cap makes for a terrible look. Keep it with the navy alt. And on the photoshop previously showing the navy alt with red lettering/tomahawk, that looks nice, but all they'd need to do is make "Atlanta" and the numbers (are the names navy or white?) white, and maybe add some piping to match the other 3 jerseys and they'd be fine. Don't mind the mostly navy look for the one alt, but it's a little too much navy only.

Archived