NBA Redesign **Series complete**

elliott

I like where this is headed. Maybe after they unveil their new bison mascot tonight, you could take him into consideration a secondary logo?

Regarding the fist, I think you have a couple options...

1) show the opposite side of the fist, which could show more aggression and power in the throwing motion.

2) show this current side, but include more, like the forearm, to suggest the motion behind the force

3) add perspective to it by twisting the hand a little. It will give the lightning bolt a different view, and will give you an easier draw for the fingers

This is a great thread, and you've done an impeccable job with this series and I can't wait for the jerseys.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The logo set/colors are a huge improvement over their current set. I don't even know what their primary, secondary, and tertiary colors are? Is that light blue the primary? Or is it orange? I don't even know.

That said, this logo is still a tad D-League-ish. Maybe make it a tad less cartoony, and it will be a pretty good NBA logo. But the colors are great, they scream Oklahoma for sure IMO.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The logo set/colors are a huge improvement over their current set. I don't even know what their primary, secondary, and tertiary colors are? Is that light blue the primary? Or is it orange? I don't even know.

That said, this logo is still a tad D-League-ish. Maybe make it a tad less cartoony, and it will be a pretty good NBA logo. But the colors are great, they scream Oklahoma for sure IMO.

I think when he re-renders the hand it will definitely help wit hthat.

I think when he re-renders the hand it will definitely help wit hthat.

I do too.

I also can't wait to see what he has in store for uniforms.

First of all, thanks again to everyone for all of the comments. They really do help.

I like where this is headed. Maybe after they unveil their new bison mascot tonight, you could take him into consideration a secondary logo?

Regarding the fist, I think you have a couple options...

1) show the opposite side of the fist, which could show more aggression and power in the throwing motion.

2) show this current side, but include more, like the forearm, to suggest the motion behind the force

3) add perspective to it by twisting the hand a little. It will give the lightning bolt a different view, and will give you an easier draw for the fingers

This is a great thread, and you've done an impeccable job with this series and I can't wait for the jerseys.

These are all very good suggestions. I just tried one with the opposite side of the fist, but I scrapped it. After that I just reworked the fist, changing the thumb and making the fingers more ovaly. But if you guys don't like the update (I think it will be an improvement) then I will try to go on rockngoalies other suggestions. Thanks for the compliment, also.

Update will be tomorrow after I get home from school.

And jerseys will be up tomorrow or the next day.

As for the secondary, I didn't really have any intentions on a buffalo, I don't feel like it fits the theme. I am working on a logo that includes the OKC mark, clouds, a different persective on the lightning bolt, and the bolt passing through the cloud. No hand. We'll see how that turns out...

Thunderwordmark.gif

Here is the first draft of the Thunder everyone. Like I hinted at, I tried to incorporate brown, and I went with sand to accent it. I tried to base some elements, specifically the hand holding the bolt, off of my last Thunder concept. But everything is revamped, and overall I think it's a much more professional logo.

Really, I went through a great number of drafts before I settled on this. I first was trying to incorporate the hammer of Thor, but 1) it always looked like the Berlin Thunder and 2) it just wasn't that good. I think this has a lot of potential to improve though. Comments appreciated.

Sorry that I have made three posts in this thread during the time span of about a half hour, but I have something to say regarding the OKC wordmark. I'm thinking it would look a little better if you extended the the ends of the C further down so that they are a little closer to connecting. It would therefore force the outline to stay in an oval shape which would take away thay indent by the C. I think that indent distracts from the script.

Thunderwordmark.gif

Here is the first draft of the Thunder everyone. Like I hinted at, I tried to incorporate brown, and I went with sand to accent it. I tried to base some elements, specifically the hand holding the bolt, off of my last Thunder concept. But everything is revamped, and overall I think it's a much more professional logo.

Really, I went through a great number of drafts before I settled on this. I first was trying to incorporate the hammer of Thor, but 1) it always looked like the Berlin Thunder and 2) it just wasn't that good. I think this has a lot of potential to improve though. Comments appreciated.

Sorry that I have made three posts in this thread during the time span of about a half hour, but I have something to say regarding the OKC wordmark. I'm thinking it would look a little better if you extended the the ends of the C further down so that they are a little closer to connecting. It would therefore force the outline to stay in an oval shape which would take away thay indent by the C. I think that indent distracts from the script.

Nice typographic input. Elliot, I would go with some type of lightning-based secondary.

Thunderwordmark.gif

TBH, I'm not a fan. Its mostly the colors that are the problem, black/brown/gold just doesn't look good to me at all. Not sold on the Thor idea, for whatever reason.

A color scheme I always thought would be good for OKC is black, pewter, and a darker teal/turquoise color (think Vancouver Grizzlies, just a bit darker and little more blueish). Obviously you can't see Thunder, so IMO, the next best thing is to create a thunderstorm-type ambience, I think those colors would do that. I think the uniforms should have a metallic look to them (the road being pewter and having a similar look to the Mavs trash bag jerseys, the alternate being either black or turquoise).

As for a logo, I'd say this is pretty spot on (middle logo on that page), though that definitely isn't the font I'd use. Alternate logos would be just the thundercloud/basketball, a T made of lightning, and something involving OKC (who knows what :P). I'd show you what I'm talking about, but I don't know jack about making jersey/logo concepts on a computer. :)

Damn, I got rambling there.

I'm not feeling the Thunder concept either. The brown and the sand are just too similar. They are both incredibly dull earth tones. If you want to use brown, I think you need a nice bright blue or green to offset it. I actually really like what C's suggested, something like pewter, teal/blue, and black. I think that could look fantastic, and it would be unique.

The logo itself really isn't working for me. The wordmark is okay, I like the subtle lightning effect on the letters. But the logo itself needs work. Something about the highlights on the cloud is bothering me, but I can't quite pinpoint it. But the hand gripping the bolt is really poorly rendered. None of the fingers look right, and the wrist looks thin and weak, nothing like a thunder god should have. That part of the logo needs major work.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

As for a logo, I'd say this is pretty spot on (middle logo on that page), though that definitely isn't the font I'd use. Alternate logos would be just the thundercloud/basketball, a T made of lightning, and something involving OKC (who knows what :P). I'd show you what I'm talking about, but I don't know jack about making jersey/logo concepts on a computer. :)

That's my logo you're linking to...I don't know, I didnt feel like that was up to par. Nor did I like this pappagiorgio guy posting all of my stuff on his site without my consent, had to have him take all of it down back when he posted it.

Anyways, elliot,

I feel like you should use a bolder type, and not so rounded. I also get a seriously cartoony vibe from the whole logo at the moment, especially the hand with the round, slender fingers, and the cloud with the oddly shaped highlights (a la Hercules, the disney movie). I did this color scheme, if you remember, on the first version of my bison Thunder logo. I didn't get good response about it either. I personally think it might work, but in the end I went with a navy (surprise), tan, and silver scheme.

That's my logo you're linking to...I don't know, I didnt feel like that was up to par. Nor did I like this pappagiorgio guy posting all of my stuff on his site without my consent, had to have him take all of it down back when he posted it.

Anyways, elliot,

I feel like you should use a bolder type, and not so rounded. I also get a seriously cartoony vibe from the whole logo at the moment, especially the hand with the round, slender fingers, and the cloud with the oddly shaped highlights (a la Hercules, the disney movie). I did this color scheme, if you remember, on the first version of my bison Thunder logo. I didn't get good response about it either. I personally think it might work, but in the end I went with a navy (surprise), tan, and silver scheme.

Yeah ian, you have had probably the best Thunder concepts that we have seen on the board, I'll admit I did model the color scheme after your bison logo (that's my favorite one that you've done). I really just don't have the talent that you have in rendering things, but I have tried to rework the hand:

ThunderLogo.gif

Also, I tweaked the lightning bolt, and changed the OKC wordmark according to Twins8791.

I can't please everyone with the colors, I know that, but here a a couple more options, I included the one I'm using now, and two others:

thundercolors.gif

Secondary logo is in the works. Comments still welcome.

I really like the wordmark, but the logo just isn't cutting it. The fist looks really off and something's weird about the lightning. Work on that and this could be very good.

As for colors, I'm liking the blue and orange, but I think brown and yellow could look good (think retro Padres)

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Also, AAO requested a wordmark that is a less curved. This isn't a huge change of font, but it does have more straight edges and is bolder, as requested. Slight tweak really.

Any better?

ThunderLogo2.gif

The hand isn't quite there yet, although it is better than before. The font is improved, for sure. Right now, because the hand is tan and the bolt is brown, the focus is more on the hand. Could you try making the lightning bolt tan, and the hand brown. It would also draw less attention the logo's biggest flaw. In addition, I would like to see what the logo set looks like in the grey/gold combo. IMO that color combo has a lot of potential to be unique and striking.

The update is better. But the hand looks stiff, now looks like it would be moving upward, instead of downward.

fist.jpg

The image image above is what I think your logo could evolve to. The lack of straight lines in that picture gives it the life like quality your logo needs. Granted, that picture is a little too detailed with the wrinkles and shadows, but with a little more space between the fingers and the palm, for the bolt to be held, the logo would appear stronger and hopefully more fluid in movement.

Archived