The "OFFICIAL" guidelines

STL FANATIC

It's called loyalty. You should try it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question to hopefully clarify things because I can imagine this being an issue. What constitutes "major news?" Some things may be obvious (I.E. Alex Rodriguez gets injured and is out for the year) but other things may fall in to that middle territory where it could be a new thread or just go into regular season discussion.

I think the bigger issue is not to get all bent out of shape if someone thinks something deserves it's own thread. There's not some scale of "major news-ness" that a story needs to reach before it becomes worthy of its own thread. Essentially what fiasco!, STL FANATIC, et al. are trying to say is there's no problem with having individual threads for specific events in the world of sports, even if it's been mentioned in the massive threads.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

The next time you call someone a fool, take a look at the team you root for.

Because the true measure of a man is the on-field performance of the teams he supports.

God, you're a mindless tool. Let me guess: Raiders?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Quick question to hopefully clarify things because I can imagine this being an issue. What constitutes "major news?" Some things may be obvious (I.E. Alex Rodriguez gets injured and is out for the year) but other things may fall in to that middle territory where it could be a new thread or just go into regular season discussion.

Kinda echoing Epiphanic, it's really just if you think it warrants/will turn into a worthwhile discussion, then go for it.

And don't get me wrong, I don't like clutter, but if someone posts something, and nobody wants to talk about it, it'll go away pretty quick.

Kinda echoing Epiphanic, it's really just if you think it warrants/will turn into a worthwhile discussion, then go for it.

And don't get me wrong, I don't like clutter, but if someone posts something, and nobody wants to talk about it, it'll go away pretty quick.

Perfect. I like the changes.

BB52Big.jpg

I like Official Threads, I like having a place to be able to drop in and share my thoughts of a game I happened to watch or some of the minor goings on in whatever league. But it's especially nice to be able to react and share my opinion on a big happening -- Shanahan being fired, Mark Teixiera signing, are a few that come to mind -- in it's own thread, where the flow of the conversation isn't being interrupted by someone's post about a completely seperate thing. The new NBA uniform thread and the NHL Edge uniform threads were absolutely ridiculous, and impossible to find what you were looking for after a while. I'm glad you've set guidelines. It'll be nice not having the discussions interrupted by "Already being discussed in thread X!" (unless of course there's two threads dedicated to the same thing) and the "In before the lock!"s that follow.

And since we're here right now... can we make "In before the lock" a bannable offense? ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

I like Official Threads, I like having a place to be able to drop in and share my thoughts of a game I happened to watch or some of the minor goings on in whatever league. But it's especially nice to be able to react and share my opinion on a big happening -- Shanahan being fired, Mark Teixiera signing, are a few that come to mind -- in it's own thread, where the flow of the conversation isn't being interrupted by someone's post about a completely seperate thing. The new NBA uniform thread and the NHL Edge uniform threads were absolutely ridiculous, and impossible to find what you were looking for after a while. I'm glad you've set guidelines. It'll be nice not having the discussions interrupted by "Already being discussed in thread X!" (unless of course there's two threads dedicated to the same thing) and the "In before the lock!"s that follow.

And since we're here right now... can we make "In before the lock" a bannable offense? ^_^

You've got my vote.

BB52Big.jpg

You've got my vote.

I'm for that too.

As for twi's assertion that I "cut and run" yesterday, if you'll notice what time I posted, it was 5pm eastern time. That's what time I get off work. While I would have loved to stay and debate the merits of having or not having "official" threads (and who gets to say what is "official" or not? Any random poster?), I didn't really feel the need to stay in the office to do so.

Was my approach "hamhanded"? I'd say it was. Did I get a point across that we are tired of people telling other posters that their topic is already covered in some huge sprawling thread that many of us would rather not navigate. I think so. The thing is, and it's pretty obvious, I don't really care what you (and I mean the royal "you") think about me. I'm trying to do what I think is best for this place. If you think I'm doing a poor job, call for my ouster. Thank you very much.

so I haven't read most of this thread, but is it cool to start a new NHL season thread?

Yes, as long as you don't go into other NHL news threads and say its being discussed in the NHL season thread.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

You've got my vote.

I'm for that too.

As for twi's assertion that I "cut and run" yesterday, if you'll notice what time I posted, it was 5pm eastern time. That's what time I get off work. While I would have loved to stay and debate the merits of having or not having "official" threads (and who gets to say what is "official" or not? Any random poster?), I didn't really feel the need to stay in the office to do so.

Was my approach "hamhanded"? I'd say it was. Did I get a point across that we are tired of people telling other posters that their topic is already covered in some huge sprawling thread that many of us would rather not navigate. I think so. The thing is, and it's pretty obvious, I don't really care what you (and I mean the royal "you") think about me. I'm trying to do what I think is best for this place. If you think I'm doing a poor job, call for my ouster. Thank you very much.

I didn't see your original post on the matter but if this new policy was the result of it then you were right. How you said it is just theater. I think it's a bit much when anyone but a mod "takes someone to the woodshed" over something that really doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of anyone but a mod. I don't want some rookie telling me I should have posted such and such here or there. I'll know I :censored:-ed up when a mod tells me I :censored:-ed up. Otherwise I think we should have the option of starting a new thread outside some War and Peace sized "official" thread. 99% of us are smart enough to know what calls for a thread and what doesn't.

I've been here long enough to know that this place ran along just fine long before everyone started racing to post the first "official" thread on anything. It's January 10th and we already have an official MLB thread for the 2009 season. Shouldn't we have at least waited until spring training for that one?

You did good dude. Nice work.

BB52Big.jpg

I still think an OFFICIAL PRO WRESTLING thread makes a lot of sense, independent of the rest of this stuff, if only because PPV conversation gets split up because of the new thread firestarters.

But whatever, I get it. There have been many times that I wanted to posted something in an NFL thread, but found that I was weeks or months behind when I clicked the little orange box. I think week-by-week threads make more sense. We'll see what happens with baseball/hockey/basketball, when it's not as easy to separate out like that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Part of the problem is that some people seem to get an "ego trip" from being the ones to start the new "super" threads. They seem to be started earlier and earlier for each sport. It's even transcended to the wrestling threads in the Lounge, where someone started a thread for a new PPV before the current one even happened. I'll never understand the need to be "first". I guess it's like some people want that feeling like "wow - 100+ pages in my thread! I r0xx0rz!!!"

Last year I started the MLB Season thread on the day after the first game. It may be different for other sports but I do recall that.

Listen, I really don't care about individual threads and if they exist over that's fine, but I rather resent the merging and locking of the larger threads currently going on. I really don't see why news can't be posted in both the thread an in an individual thread, but discussed more extensively in the individual threads. It seems that is the general idea of this new "guideline" change and that those threads were merged and deleted only to cause controversy. There was a lot of good discussion in there and it doesn't seem to me like that was anywhere near necessary to make this known and this thread would certainly suffice. It's the only reason I care.

I think we should have weekly threads for the NFL, like using my weekly preview thread to start the weekly thread for games.

Or you could just have one running trivia/predictions thread instead of starting a new topic each day/week. You do have the ability to update the sub-title.

• 3 months later...
Who's deleting my favorite topics. I don't think I've ever started a topic that hasn't been moved to the graveyard before the day is over. Why, seriously?

Because you're an irrational, drug-addled troll?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived