2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Curt Schilling retires via blog.

Not really a stunner there.

Good mother :censored: ing riddance.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, Gary MattHGHews Jr. is complaining that he wants to play outfield every day for the Angels. First, Gary, so do I, but it's just not in the cards. Second, when you're FIFTH (behind Vlad, Torii, Abreu, and Rivera....Reggie Willits can't be that far off) on the outfield depth chart, you probably shouldn't expect to play every day. Third, you suck, and you make too much money. Rather then complaining about playing time, why don't you get yourself traded, or at least take a hefty pay cut. It's a recession, after all.

[/rant]

On another note, Matt Brown and Brandon Wood are having an awesome spring. Hopefully, this means we won't have to see Erick Aybar. Ever. Jeff Mathis is looking good too, but, well, he's not Mike Napoli, so he can stay on the bench.

[/high hopes]

No kidding.

Ok....since you're a Red Sox fan, why the angst towards Schilling?

All the guy did was help Boston win two World Series titles (I believe), including the Series that ended that so-called Curse.

MLB Network unveils "Thursday Night Baseball" schedule and announcers

MLB Network has announced the first 8 games of their Thursday Night Baseball. I'm pretty excited that the 8 games feature 16 different teams. It always seemed like ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball would always have the same couple of teams.

Yea, I already like MLBN 100 times more than ESPN baseball coverage, especially because of this.

saBS.png

MLB Network has announced the first 8 games of their Thursday Night Baseball. I'm pretty excited that the 8 games feature 16 different teams. It always seemed like ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball would always have the same couple of teams.

Yea, I already like MLBN 100 times more than ESPN baseball coverage, especially because of this.

Agreed. No way in hell ESPN would show a Kansas City home game ever, and they're going do it by May. Awesome, this gives those small market teams just a little bit more visibility.

Agreed. No way in hell ESPN would show a Kansas City home game ever, and they're going do it by May. Awesome, this gives those small market teams just a little bit more visibility.

...Especially a game against the Orioles.

saBS.png

They aired a Red Sox-Royals game on Opening Day '07, as I recall. Gilgamesh beat Schilling, right?

Retrosheet agrees with you.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Apparently, Gary MattHGHews Jr. is complaining that he wants to play outfield every day for the Angels. First, Gary, so do I, but it's just not in the cards. Second, when you're FIFTH (behind Vlad, Torii, Abreu, and Rivera....Reggie Willits can't be that far off) on the outfield depth chart, you probably shouldn't expect to play every day. Third, you suck, and you make too much money. Rather then complaining about playing time, why don't you get yourself traded, or at least take a hefty pay cut. It's a recession, after all.

[/rant]

On another note, Matt Brown and Brandon Wood are having an awesome spring. Hopefully, this means we won't have to see Erick Aybar. Ever. Jeff Mathis is looking good too, but, well, he's not Mike Napoli, so he can stay on the bench.

[/high hopes]

Amen, I was a fan of Matthews and still am, I think his defense is superb, but his offense is really lacking. When your getting paid that kind of money, you should be producing on both levels, offense and defense. Matt Brown has been really impressive, correct me if i'm wrong, but he's hitting somewhere around .500, right? But he really came out of nowhere, and Wood has shown an ability to lay off some bad pitches, having Abreu can only help him with plate discipline. If I were the Angels, I would have a rotating first basemen spot split between Morales and Brown, both have shown promise this spring. The only thing i disagree with for the most part is the hate for Aybar. I think he is a good defender with his biggest problem being his range. He is slightly undersized but he is a good contact hitter with good baserunning skills. But I think the Angels infield is actually going to be a strong part of the team this year, especially if my favorite player, Howie Kendrick, can stay healthy and produce like everyone knows he can.

[/rant]

[/high hopes]

Amen, I was a fan of Matthews and still am, I think his defense is superb, but his offense is really lacking. When your getting paid that kind of money, you should be producing on both levels, offense and defense. Matt Brown has been really impressive, correct me if i'm wrong, but he's hitting somewhere around .500, right? But he really came out of nowhere, and Wood has shown an ability to lay off some bad pitches, having Abreu can only help him with plate discipline. If I were the Angels, I would have a rotating first basemen spot split between Morales and Brown, both have shown promise this spring. The only thing i disagree with for the most part is the hate for Aybar. I think he is a good defender with his biggest problem being his range. He is slightly undersized but he is a good contact hitter with good baserunning skills. But I think the Angels infield is actually going to be a strong part of the team this year, especially if my favorite player, Howie Kendrick, can stay healthy and produce like everyone knows he can.

I don't hate Aybar exactly, but I really don't want him starting at short. I'd prefer to have Maicer there every day, and Brandon Wood or even Brown, after what he's been doing lately, backing him up. I really think Kendry Morales can have a great year. He's not an incredible-average guy, but he can probably get 20+ homeruns. I'm praying Howie and Napoli stay healthy for a whole year. Howie can hit well over .300, and I don't doubt that Napoli can hit 35+ homeruns. The guy has 46 homeruns in a little over a year's-worth of at-bats.

No kidding.

Ok....since you're a Red Sox fan, why the angst towards Schilling?

All the guy did was help Boston win two World Series titles (I believe), including the Series that ended that so-called Curse.

It's possible to love the player while disliking the person... I personally have very mixed feelings towards Curt's extended presence in the mainstream but what he did during the 2004 season and especially postseason is something I will always be in debt for... Nothing could take that away or the pure love or happiness I have towards that team and everyone on it, and Curt is one of the most important of those people because of what he did. That doesn't mean he was annoying in a few of the years since, namely the last year and a half, and I take that into consideration but there can certainly be 2 sides to this.

You surely must love John Rocker, then, since he was such an enormous part of a team that went to the World Series, and never did allow a postseason run?

Archived