NFL Changes for 2009 season

bowld

The Patriots are (re)introducing throwbacks as their new thirds.

Yessssssss!

I actually don't dislike the silver like everyone here does, but that should be awesome. Great.

ImgDyncfms21977.jpg

My rant about red Pats jerseys aside, Pat the Patriot is really a terrible logo. Maybe if they gave him a Miami/San Fran-esque update.

But it is for the AFL's 50th anniversary, so I'll let it slide :D

I don't think I remember this, is it the whole British wore red so the Patriots shouldn't arguement? I kinda have that feeling too, but I love how those jerseys look (especially the striping going pretty much all the way around.) Maybe a blue version of this would be better to keep the Pats from wearing red. But Pat the Patriot needs at least a modernization before I would welcome it full-time to the helmet.

All it really needs is the red facemask. I can't even find a photo of when they wore them.

You mean like this?...

andre-tippett.jpg

Every time I can't find something, Curt's always got my back, LOL. Good lookin' out. That's exactly what I was looking for. I think those are the best uniforms the Patriots have ever had.

NOTE: By the way, I managed to find a photo of that year's uniforms, but in the white jersey. Also of Andre Tippett. Gotta love how they're playing the Oilers in one photo, and the old LA Rams in the other. =)

g258258bc9238c7e343f300546ca8935c30bc1bf26cd534.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it true the Texans are going with the red jerseys as the primary. On a side note I wish they would wear the red socks with the blue pants again and it would make sense if the primary jersey is red. Plus the red sock brings out the red numbers in the white jerseys and really pulls together the overall look for the road unis.

FYI, looking at the photos of Andre Tippett above, the red jersey photo is from 1991, and the white jersey photo is from 1992. The Pats wore sewn-on tackle-twill numbers in 90 and 91, and then switched back to the cheaper-looking press-on numbers in 92 (the last year of Pat Patriot.) Never understood why.

Uni Watch DIY Project: Outfitting an Entire Team
You know how I?ve been saying for years now that the Jaguars? uni set has a chance to become regarded as a classic if the Jags are smart enough not to mess with it? This just in: As of next season, they?re not smart enough.

Lukas is wrong: not a classic, just another product of the times: overuse of black, fancy numbers that don't really connote anything about the location or team name, fashionable teal, too prone to mix-n-match. That's not a classic to me, but neither was this year's Super Bowl, and everyone's raving about that too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anything new about the 49ers changing this year?

So what we have heard to date is:

Jags changing

Possible 49ers change

Lions in 2010

Bills going retro full time?

Texans to red as primary?

And I'm now starting not to believe my buddy and his rumor of the Skins adding black.

49ers in 2010 at the latest (retro look with modifications...pending)

Lions, exploring what to do with the logo, lot of lions fans on the radio prefer to revert to older style of uniform, 1961 style with the modifications,

Bills are exploring the full time throwback, fans love it

I don't think the redskins will make the mistake like detroit did and add black to their uniform

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

How about the long anticipated Saints changes?

I know someone from around the area of NO said they heard the G.M. on the radio at the end of last season talking about some tweaks not really a complete overhaul I would assume that might be on the list of something we might see.

Oh and 1 other thing does'nt anybody else find it weird that the Jaguars changed the striping on their white pants last year but then they are supposed to be changing everythinhg this year. Seems like a waste of time and money , no?

Wouldn't really call it a waste of money, as they never re-use uniforms as it is. Everything is brand new for every game so why not tweak?

Pretty much. Most teams order a new set of everything every season anyways, so it doesn't make that much difference.

Wouldn't really call it a waste of money, as they never re-use uniforms as it is. Everything is brand new for every game so why not tweak?

Pretty much. Most teams order a new set of everything every season anyways, so it doesn't make that much difference.

Unless you're Bill Bidwill of the Cardinals, who used to charge his players money if they used up more than 2 jerseys in a season.

And people wonder why that team stunk for 59 years... :blink:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

49ers in 2010 at the latest (retro look with modifications...pending)

Lions, exploring what to do with the logo, lot of lions fans on the radio prefer to revert to older style of uniform, 1961 style with the modifications,

Bills are exploring the full time throwback, fans love it

I don't think the redskins will make the mistake like detroit did and add black to their uniform

PLEASE tell me that the Bills are going to make the throwback thing happen. Their current home and road uniforms are awful but the throwbacks are among the best in the NFL.

This is floating around on the Lions team message board:

3251978803_cc80d945ac_o_medium.jpg

?LEGACY WEEKENDS? WILL CELEBRATE AFL?S 50TH ANNIVERSARY

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2009, 10:48 p.m.

In a news release announcing the team?s 50th anniversary logo, the Chargers revealed that, during the 2009 regular season, the original AFL franchises will each conduct multiple ?Legacy Weekends.?

On these occasions ? once at home and once on the road for each original AFL franchise ? the teams will wear a throwback uniform.

The Chargers will wear a uniform based on their 1963 AFL championship team.

Meanwhile, the 50th anniversary logo will be affixed each week to the Chargers? uniforms. Here it is.

chargerslogo.JPG

PLEASE tell me that the Bills are going to make the throwback thing happen. Their current home and road uniforms are awful but the throwbacks are among the best in the NFL

Geez, I hope not. The current throwbacks, are not any good either. They would need some serious "adjustments" to get into this century, if made "full-time" uni's.

The current Bill uniforms are a disaster. Most can agree on that. But, the throwbacks, would get tired in a hurry too.

What the Bills should do, when they change again, is to have a simple modernized uniform, that harkens back (a bit) to the throwback uniform.

Make the helmet royal blue (the white throwback helmet is boring and dull) with the current Bill logo. Go with either a royal blue or white facemask. NO grey mask, please. Enough, with that. No stripe on helmet.

Royal blue home uniform, with white numbers (outlined in red and silver). Simple striping pattern on sleeve or shoulders. Throwback logo on sleeve or shoulder. Red collar.

White road uniform, with royal blue numbers (outlined in red and silver). Simple striping pattern and throwback logo on sleeve. Red collar.

Choice of either royal blue pants (with same pant striping from throwback pants) or white pants. On the blue pants, it would be red/white/red. On the white pants, it would be red/blue/red. I go with white pants, to differentiate the Bill uni from the Giants and Pats uniform, who both use grey/silver pants.

Solid blue socks and black shoes.

This uniform, would be both "new school" and use elements of classic Bill uniforms. And, the simpler look (after the last redesign) is a must.

PLEASE tell me that the Bills are going to make the throwback thing happen. Their current home and road uniforms are awful but the throwbacks are among the best in the NFL

Geez, I hope not. The current throwbacks, are not any good either. They would need some serious "adjustments" to get into this century, if made "full-time" uni's.

The current Bill uniforms are a disaster. Most can agree on that. But, the throwbacks, would get tired in a hurry too.

What the Bills should do, when they change again, is to have a simple modernized uniform, that harkens back (a bit) to the throwback uniform.

Make the helmet royal blue (the white throwback helmet is boring and dull) with the current Bill logo. Go with either a royal blue or white facemask. NO grey mask, please. Enough, with that. No stripe on helmet.

Royal blue home uniform, with white numbers (outlined in red and silver). Simple striping pattern on sleeve or shoulders. Throwback logo on sleeve or shoulder. Red collar.

White road uniform, with royal blue numbers (outlined in red and silver). Simple striping pattern and throwback logo on sleeve. Red collar.

Choice of either royal blue pants (with same pant striping from throwback pants). On the blue pants, it would be red/white/red. On the silver pants, it would be red/blue/red. The silver pants, would be a shinier silver, then what the Giants use, for example.

Solid blue socks and black shoes.

This uniform, would be both "new school" and use elements of classic Bill uniforms. And, the simpler look (after the last redesign) is a must.

Thank God no one at the Bills could read this suggestion. They might be dumb enough to use it...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Thank God no one at the Bills could read this suggestion. They might be dumb enough to use it...

Yes, they wouldn't look like laughing stocks anymore, if they did.

My uniform suggestion, actually would look good and look like something a team in this century would wear. Simple, classic and something that will still look good years from now, while using modern touches.

[My uniform suggestion, actually would look good and look like something a team in this century would wear. Simple, classic and something that will still look good years from now, while using modern touches.

Allow me to respectfully disagree.

Royal Blue Helmet with no stripes? No thanks...

Silver/Nickle still involved? No thanks...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived