NFL Changes for 2009 season

bowld

The Patriots are (re)introducing throwbacks as their new thirds.

Yessssssss!

I actually don't dislike the silver like everyone here does, but that should be awesome. Great.

ImgDyncfms21977.jpg

My rant about red Pats jerseys aside, Pat the Patriot is really a terrible logo. Maybe if they gave him a Miami/San Fran-esque update.

But it is for the AFL's 50th anniversary, so I'll let it slide :D

I don't think I remember this, is it the whole British wore red so the Patriots shouldn't arguement? I kinda have that feeling too, but I love how those jerseys look (especially the striping going pretty much all the way around.) Maybe a blue version of this would be better to keep the Pats from wearing red. But Pat the Patriot needs at least a modernization before I would welcome it full-time to the helmet.

All it really needs is the red facemask. I can't even find a photo of when they wore them.

You mean like this?...

andre-tippett.jpg

Those are absolutely beautiful.

Just speculation here, but in addition to the Patriots celebrating their 50th anniversary, I would imagine since Andre Tippet just got elected to the Hall of Fame, the Patriots are also going to be wearing these uniforms in his honor- probably an "Andre Tippet Day" thing at one of their home games since this was the uniform he wore his entire career (except for his final year when the introduce blue jerseys and the Flying Elvis). Can't wait to see the bobble-heads of him they give out.

I'm pretty sure at this point he's still only a finallist. I don't think the actual inductees have been announced yet (unless it just happened, like, today).

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also I've heard that the Cowboys were thinking of some kind of an update as they enter into their new stadium. It's somewhat become a tradition the Pats did it as they moved into the Gillette stadium, the Bucs did it as they moved into Raymond James Stadium, the Cards did as they moved into U of P Stadium, Seahawks at Qwest Field. Anybody heard anything recently?

andre-tippett.jpg

Two absolutely stunning uni sets in that pic. Heaven.

I agree. I was taken back by that picture.

I like throwbacks. I do feel that they're getting abused lately, but I like it that teams are keeping in touch with their past, and get the younger generation see what the different looking unis of the past.

As for updates, I really hope the Lions get rid of the black by hopefully 2010. Just go back to the unis before the change... man those were beautiful. Matt Millen's gone, might as well get rid of the bad identity.

I don't like that the Rams are using the 90's jerseys as throwbacks. I want them to switch to those full time, but I realize that is NEVER going to happen.

I suppose this is a lil off topic and really not relative even, but....

I always found it a lil ironic that the Patriots had red jerseys when, in fact, the actual patriots were fighting the "Red Coats"...

Yeah, I know...way out there...

Did Icecap79 put you up to this?

That evil bastard. :cursing:

[Mr. Burns]Excellent....[/Mr. Burns]

Also I've heard that the Cowboys were thinking of some kind of an update as they enter into their new stadium. It's somewhat become a tradition the Pats did it as they moved into the Gillette stadium, the Bucs did it as they moved into Raymond James Stadium, the Cards did as they moved into U of P Stadium, Seahawks at Qwest Field. Anybody heard anything recently?

Didn't the Patriots change uniforms the year before they moved into Gilette Stadium? Watching the divisional playoff game against the Raiders a couple weeks ago, they were wearing the current navy jerseys and were playing in their old stadium.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Didn't the Patriots change uniforms the year before they moved into Gilette Stadium? Watching the divisional playoff game against the Raiders a couple weeks ago, they were wearing the current navy jerseys and were playing in their old stadium.

They changed uniforms in 2000 and moved into Gillette in 2002.

You are correct . I think what I'm trying to say is it might not always be the same exact year but it seems like alot of teams get new unis as they move into a new stadium as sort of ushering a new era. The Pats obviously had already begun construction on the new stadium before they got the new unis. It was almost like a complete make over a new stadium, new coach, new front office and new unis.

Unreliable source, but hey, I'll post it.

Some Texans fan told me that his lil team is switching primary jersey's to the red top because supposedly it is the "good luck" color. Come to think of it, he has a point. I dont think they've ever lost in red. And what is it with Texas football teams and the belief in good luck colors. Cowboys prefer white, now the Texans prefer red.....LOL

FTR. I told him the only way I would even think about the Texans were if they were to trade Andre Johnson our way for Wack-xico Burress.

NYCdog.png

andre-tippett.jpg

I agree, although I'm not a big fan of the white socks with the red jersey/white pants (they were perfect with the white jersey/red pants, though). If the socks were either solid red or red with the white-blue-white striping to match the jersey stripes, the look would have been improved IMHO. Any Photoshop aces out there care to do a mock-up?

The Patriots have a long history of interesting (and sometimes overdone) sock-stripes. For a number of years they even wore striped crew socks over the already plentifully striped stirrups:

BuonicontiNick38.jpg

Here's another Patriots-Oilers match-up, this time from 1966 (featuring my favorite Oilers set ever):

1966_Oilers-Patriots.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Same goes for the Bucs, changed in 1997, moved to RayJay 1998.

Same goes for the Bucs, changed in 1997, moved to RayJay 1998.

maybe the cowboys switch to black shoes following a trend by other teams, I like the white shoes on Dallas but I wouldn't mind seeing the boys in the black cleats

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I'll have to find the article, but I believe the Tennessee Titans will roll out a Houston Oilers throwback either next year or 2010. Hopefully it will be worn v. the Texans. :D

They are wearing the Oilers uniforms next season, and it would be totally classless to wear them against the Texans in my opinion....but of coarse we're talking about Bud Adams here, so they probably will.

Nothing wrong with them wearing Tennessee Oilers uniforms, though. Do we know what specific era they are throwing back to?

I'm not too sure. Here is an article from a Yahoo! football blog about it, but I cannot find the original article from TitansRadio.com. I think it may have mentioned an era they were considering, but the article has seemed to vanish.

Also, it looks like they'll be wearing the Oilers unis v. the New York Titans. Or New York Jets. New York Bretts. Whatever.

Hopefully all the way back to the AFL uniforms like they did in 1994...and if it's against the Jets then that would make sense. I'd really rather not see them in the Oilers uniforms I grew up with. The couple of seasons as the Tennessee Oilers was painful enough.

And although I know it will NEVER happen...it would be fun to see the Texans wear WFL Houston Texans throwbacks.

houtexansuni.gif

How bout a USFL throwback day in the NFL. Something like this.

The Bears could wear the Chicago Blitz.

The Lions, the Michigan Panthers.

The Cardinals, the Arizona Wranglers.

The Steelers. the Pittsburgh Maulers.

The Cowboys, the Oklahoma Outlaws.

The Raiders, the Oakland Invaders.

The Bucs, the Tampa Bay Bandits.

The Broncos, the Denver Gold.

The Dolphins, the Orlando Renegades. (Since the Renegades were originally suppose to play in Miami).

The Titans, the Memphis Showboats.

The Falcons, the Birmingham Stallions. (Close enough)

The Jags, the Jacksonville Bulls.

The Vikings, the San Antonio Gunslingers.(A tribute to Red McCombs)

The Texans, the Houston Gamblers.

The Rams, the L.A. Express.

The Eagles and Ravens can both be the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars.

Both the Jets and Giants could be the New Jersey Generals.

The Patriots, Saints and Seahawks, the Boston, New Orleans and Portland Breakers.

The Redskins and everybody else can be the Washington Federals.

What a waste of time this was!!!

Anyone have any info on a possible change for the 14 year old Panther jerseys? I know Jerry Richardson is a traditionalist, and the blue jersey is semi-recent, But there should at least be an update to the early 90's "Zubba Pants" Font .......

andre-tippett.jpg

Agreed. Can't wait to see them on the field in 09.

So long as the shoulder loops go all the way around like they SUPPOSED to...

(Note to Reebok: it IS possible...just ask the Carolina Panthers! Do NOT do the Indianapolis Colts thing with this jersey!!! :cursing: )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Tippet made it in last year where the hell have you been?

*Sigh....yes he did, but they really haven't had a day set aside to honor him yet in front of the home crowd which is especially odd since he still works for the team.

Anyway.....

They did not have an alternate/throwback uniform this year so it would seem to coincide...albeit belated.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

andre-tippett.jpg

With slight differences in striping widths and colors, that could be an intersquad scrimmage. The two teams basically have the same helmet in this picture, but that doesn't mean I don't love them both.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived