New Pirates Uniforms

dahatman

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really dig the black one.

I've never been a fan of sleeveless jerseys. There is just something so minor league about that look.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of someone not old enough to know who Roberto Clemente was. ^_^ Kidding aside, there's something about seeing the Bucs in vests, or in pillbox hats, that makes me think, "Now this is how God would outfit his own baseball team." Whereas the Bucs in plain old sleeved uniforms, or plain old round-topped caps, puts me in mind of a glorified triple-A team. Which also pretty well sums up how the Pirates have performed while wearing the uniform elements in question, so it's probably just the conditioning of my 1970s/1980s childhood at work.

I'm with you on digging the black one, too, and in fact I'd love to see that, or the same jersey but with gray fabric, as the road jersey. With no number on the front.

20082614447.png

I don't think the pirate head logo is going away just yet as some earlier posters had hoped. My only reason for saying this is that the WV Power just created that new alt logo with the baseball with the bowler hat and red bandana, tying itself both to local baseball history and the parent organization. I just think it'd be weird for the Power to come out with a logo recognizing their affiliation by using a design element no longer used by the Pirates, if the Pirates were to ditch the pirate. It'd be even weirder for it to happen in the same year. You'd think the Pirates would give them a heads up on something like that. So, for that reason, I think the pirate head will stick around for a little longer. But fortunately, the red in the uniforms is gone. That's a plus.

I've never been a fan of sleeveless jerseys. There is just something so minor league about that look.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of someone not old enough to know who Roberto Clemente was. ^_^ Kidding aside, there's something about seeing the Bucs in vests, or in pillbox hats, that makes me think, "Now this is how God would outfit his own baseball team." Whereas the Bucs in plain old sleeved uniforms, or plain old round-topped caps, puts me in mind of a glorified triple-A team. Which also pretty well sums up how the Pirates have performed while wearing the uniform elements in question, so it's probably just the conditioning of my 1970s/1980s childhood at work.

Vests in baseball look minor league the way T-shirts under jerseys in basketball look minor league. I'm weird about that, and would rather see the Pirates in sleeved jerseys. That replica posted upthread is preferable.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Both of the two jerseys posted are very nice and obvious improvements over the red vests. And I like that the Pirates are still wearing vests as their primary jerseys, they look really nice in them. They are just improving their case as one of the best looking teams in the league.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I just said in the Cubs thread that I don't much care for sleeve logos, but I could most def get behind the Pirates wearing the Pittsburgh coat of arms on their jerseys.

pittsburgh_city_coa_n4488.gif

Inasmuch as the three teams are already wearing Pittsburgh's black and gold (the Penguins just left their clothes in the wash too long. "They need brightened," a yinzer might say), getting the teams on board with wearing the coat of arms would be an awesome extension of civic pride for a pretty unique city. The Pirates should definitely do it, though, and with the Orioles incorporating the Maryland flag, there's a little bit of precedent for local iconography that's not quite as obvious as, say, a big honkin' outline of Texas.

Here's a decidedly more ridiculous idea: honor the mix-n-match Pirates of the 1970s AND the Pittsburgh Steelers by wearing black hats, black shirts, and yellow pants. I could go for that maybe once a year in September.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm with you on digging the black one, too, and in fact I'd love to see that, or the same jersey but with gray fabric, as the road jersey. With no number on the front.

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

It's the 30th anniversary of the 1979 World Series win. Go back to the future and resurrect the mix-and-match combos!

nav-logo.png

So now we have NO teams with vests as their primary home and/or road jerseys.

- Angels and Rockies for sure have alt vests.

- Rangers, Twins, White Sox, Indians, and now Pirates, I'm unsure of whether or not those teams still/will use alt vests. (Someone can fill them in if they do or do not still use them)

The Twins still have the white vest in their arsenal of 6 different jerseys for 2009.

I think I need to buy a Pirates red vest. It's the "Wild Wing" of baseball jerseys.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

So now we have NO teams with vests as their primary home and/or road jerseys.

- Angels and Rockies for sure have alt vests.

- Rangers, Twins, White Sox, Indians, and now Pirates, I'm unsure of whether or not those teams still/will use alt vests. (Someone can fill them in if they do or do not still use them)

The Indians, I believe, no longer wear the vests.

Here's a decidedly more ridiculous idea: honor the mix-n-match Pirates of the 1970s AND the Pittsburgh Steelers by wearing black hats, black shirts, and yellow pants. I could go for that maybe once a year in September.

They used to have quite a few '79 throwback days in the first 4 years at PNC Park, but they seem to have gone away in the last 3. I think ive only seen them wear negro league throwbacks along with the opposing team for a handful of games between the three seasons.

... wow, PNC Park and Heinz Field are both 7 years old now.

oBIgzrL.png

Speaking of Roberto Clemente, am I the only one in the world who loved the mustard yellow hat with the black bill?

Archived