New Pirates Uniforms

dahatman

I just said in the Cubs thread that I don't much care for sleeve logos, but I could most def get behind the Pirates wearing the Pittsburgh coat of arms on their jerseys.

pittsburgh_city_coa_n4488.gif

Inasmuch as the three teams are already wearing Pittsburgh's black and gold (the Penguins just left their clothes in the wash too long. "They need brightened," a yinzer might say), getting the teams on board with wearing the coat of arms would be an awesome extension of civic pride for a pretty unique city. The Pirates should definitely do it, though, and with the Orioles incorporating the Maryland flag, there's a little bit of precedent for local iconography that's not quite as obvious as, say, a big honkin' outline of Texas.

Here's a decidedly more ridiculous idea: honor the mix-n-match Pirates of the 1970s AND the Pittsburgh Steelers by wearing black hats, black shirts, and yellow pants. I could go for that maybe once a year in September.

I would have loved to have seen them wear the city crest last year for the 250th Birthday of Pittsburgh but instead they wore a very boring yellow patch. The same for the Pens as well. It would have been neat for all the clubs to wear the same logo for the anniversary.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really dig the black one.

I've never been a fan of sleeveless jerseys. There is just something so minor league about that look.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of someone not old enough to know who Roberto Clemente was. ^_^ Kidding aside, there's something about seeing the Bucs in vests, or in pillbox hats, that makes me think, "Now this is how God would outfit his own baseball team." Whereas the Bucs in plain old sleeved uniforms, or plain old round-topped caps, puts me in mind of a glorified triple-A team. Which also pretty well sums up how the Pirates have performed while wearing the uniform elements in question, so it's probably just the conditioning of my 1970s/1980s childhood at work.

Vests in baseball look minor league the way T-shirts under jerseys in basketball look minor league. I'm weird about that, and would rather see the Pirates in sleeved jerseys. That replica posted upthread is preferable.

I couldn't agree more, and I'll take it one step further -- vests look Little League-ish. I get that the Bucs wore the vests for a long time a while back, and I've always been fond of the Bucs. But I've never been fond of the vest, even if Bill Mazeroski is whooping it up after a World Series-winning HR.

One man's humble and unimportant opinion, but I'd be happy with a plain, sleeved uniform set. I love the current "PITTSBURGH" on the road set and the "PIRATES" on the home set. Just put some sleeves on those babies, and I'd be pleased.

I am a fan of vests. I think the Pirates are one team that looks great in them. With that being said...they don't look bad with sleeves either. I guess it all depends on the person. I have always been a fan of vests, and some people may think they look ridiculous.

I've never been a fan of sleeveless jerseys. There is just something so minor league about that look.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of someone not old enough to know who Roberto Clemente was. ^_^ Kidding aside, there's something about seeing the Bucs in vests, or in pillbox hats, that makes me think, "Now this is how God would outfit his own baseball team." Whereas the Bucs in plain old sleeved uniforms, or plain old round-topped caps, puts me in mind of a glorified triple-A team. Which also pretty well sums up how the Pirates have performed while wearing the uniform elements in question, so it's probably just the conditioning of my 1970s/1980s childhood at work.

I'm with you on digging the black one, too, and in fact I'd love to see that, or the same jersey but with gray fabric, as the road jersey. With no number on the front.

Speaking of Roberto Clemente, am I the only one in the world who loved the mustard yellow hat with the black bill?

No, I loved the mustard colored yellow hat as well. I think that they should incorporate the bright yellow hat with black bill & "P" as a home hat, the mustard colored as a Sunday alternate and use the black hat on the road.

I am a fan of vests. I think the Pirates are one team that looks great in them. With that being said...they don't look bad with sleeves either. I guess it all depends on the person. I have always been a fan of vests, and some people may think they look ridiculous.

I agree. I love vests, and in general the Pirates have my favorite set (except for the hideous red which they are getting rid of).

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

I'm with you on digging the black one, too, and in fact I'd love to see that, or the same jersey but with gray fabric, as the road jersey. With no number on the front.

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

It's the 30th anniversary of the 1979 World Series win. Go back to the future and resurrect the mix-and-match combos!

You're darn tootin'.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Pirates Introduce New Jerseys for 2009 Season

The Pittsburgh Pirates today unveiled their complete lineup of jerseys for the 2009 season, which includes a new black alternate jersey as well as the addition of sleeves to the team's home white and road gray jerseys. The sleeveless white pinstripe jerseys that the Pirates wear on Sundays at home, as well as the team's batting practice jersey, remain unchanged for 2009.

"We return this year to the sleeved jersey worn by four of our five World Championship teams, including our 1971 and 1979 Championship Clubs, as part of our return to championship-caliber baseball," said Pirates President Frank Coonelly. "The new black alternate jersey is a great representation of the Pirates and our history. Like our fans, we take pride in wearing the 'black and gold'. Some of our great early teams wore the 'P' on the front or sleeve of the jersey."

pmlb25456252dtie0.jpg

09jerseys250x261xx5.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Being a FOG here, I can remember going to Three Rivers Stadium back in the early 70s when I was kid. The Pirates wore the mustard yellow caps with the black brims. Those were awesome. The, the mix and match uniforms with the pillbox caps came out. I love them, but they seemed to get old and dated pretty quick. My grandparents lived in Pittsburgh (Upper St. Clair) and I still have fond memories of going to Pirate games. I still root for the team (after my beloved Detroit Tigers).

The Pittsburgh Pirates today unveiled their complete lineup of jerseys for the 2009 season, which includes a new black alternate jersey as well as the addition of sleeves to the team's home white and road gray jerseys. The sleeveless white pinstripe jerseys that the Pirates wear on Sundays at home, as well as the team's batting practice jersey, remain unchanged for 2009.

"We return this year to the sleeved jersey worn by four of our five World Championship teams, including our 1971 and 1979 Championship Clubs, as part of our return to championship-caliber baseball," said Pirates President Frank Coonelly. "The new black alternate jersey is a great representation of the Pirates and our history. Like our fans, we take pride in wearing the 'black and gold'. Some of our great early teams wore the 'P' on the front or sleeve of the jersey."

pmlb25456252dtie0.jpg

09jerseys250x261xx5.jpg

The number on the front and the sleeve patch ruin that jersey IMO.

pmlb25456252dtie0.jpg

09jerseys250x261xx5.jpg

Love the alt, except that I wish the number was at the same eye level as the letter.

pmlb25456252dtie0.jpg

09jerseys250x261xx5.jpg

Yep, coulda done without the number on the front. So they DID in fact add sleeves to the regular sets. And is that the game hat, with the black and white oulines around the "P"? It matches the alternate, but I don't know how I feel about it as the all around cap. Thought the yellow "P" alone worked well, and would still look alright with that black alt.

I like the look of the cap, but if it is just an alternate, that has to be the smallest difference between a primary and alternate or home/road ever seen in MLB. It is common for teams to make small changes, like using different colored bills between caps (Indians, A's, Rockies) and the Tigers simply use a different colored logo, but adding a thin white outline around the logo? Unless you are in the first row of the stands or watching a closeup on a hi-def TV, will anyone be able to tell the difference? What's the point of even having two caps?

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

PirateFest, Day 1: Sleeves are back

In addition to the uniform changes mentioned above, the spring training caps will ditch the little red arc that was above the ear, known by some more cynical people in this world as the Tony Armas Bluetooth insignia.

20090123smpiratesuniforty7.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived