Lions uniform changes

Proc

OK, I'm sorry to bring up the whole "consistent stripe" stuff again, but that sleeve stripe is still too big! At a glance it looks the same as last years, which keeps the jersey stripe from visually linking to the helmet/pants stripe as well as it could.

And I agree with the previous post about those numbers... trying too hard.

Still love the new Bubbles, though. We might have to even stop calling him that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started this thread a long ways back and am a lifelong, metro-Detroiter and Lions fan.

My impressions?

--Still a bit too much black, but much better than what was slapped on before. This looks more like it belongs now.

--I like the new "Bubbles". Alot even.

--I like the new wordmark.

--The sleeve stripes aren't that much different than what they had, but are much cleaner.

Overall, I like them. I'm not ecstatic about the uniforms themselves, but they work. The helmet with the new Bubbles is excellent.

At first glance, that number font made me think they just ripped off the Eagles' font and made some tweaks.

As for the stripes, I agree with the hatred toward classic striping that gets cut off on modern jersey designs. But isn't weird that the kicker would be able to have a jersey where the stripes are complete, like in the picture from the unveiling? I know kickers don't have the massive arms of linemen, but do they actually get a different cut of jersey than the rest of the team?

I can't help but wonder whether casual Lions fans look at this unveiling and wonder what has actually changed. That's not a criticism -- I like the new Bubbles -- but those of us who pay attention to these details are probably the only ones who care.

That Blue looks very different to me in the helmet picture. Waiting to see the official color-corrected graphics from Werx. As for the jerseys, I feel like we all can see it, they stink. Nothing has really been addressed, they kind of put these out and said, "Just buy these for a couple years, please. We are going to change again soon, but we need the money now." At least the logo is better I guess.

That Blue looks very different to me in the helmet picture. Waiting to see the official color-corrected graphics from Werx. As for the jerseys, I feel like we all can see it, they stink. Nothing has really been addressed, they kind of put these out and said, "Just buy these for a couple years, please. We are going to change again soon, but we need the money now." At least the logo is better I guess.

Went to the reveal.

Blue seems slightly darker in person than last years version, but that's just a visual impression and not based on any facts. If you look at pictures, it looks the same. I really like the logo, the wordmark is growing on me and the numbers really didn't bother me much.

I do wish they would have made a bit more of a change to the sleeve stripes or got rid of them altogether. Still hate the black but it works MUCH better now.

Overall, I like it. From an evolution standpoint, they scored and did what they set out to do.

Thumbs up.

Went to the reveal.

Blue seems slightly darker than last year, but that's just a visual impression and not based on any facts. I really like the logo, the wordmark is growing on me and the numbers really didn't bother me much.

I do wish they would have made a bit more of a change to the sleeve stripes or got rid of them altogether. Still hate the black but it works MUCH better now.

Overall, I like it. From an evolution standpoint, they scored and did what they set out to do.

Thumbs up.

Oh, forgot to add that the blue in the helmet has always been a slightly darker blue than what's on the jersey. THAT is the blue I would love them to use all the time. But again, the new version does seen to be a shade or two darker.

321_large6.jpg[

I can't help but wonder whether casual Lions fans look at this unveiling and wonder what has actually changed. That's not a criticism -- I like the new Bubbles -- but those of us who pay attention to these details are probably the only ones who care.

That's actually my definition of a pretty successful update - they managed to tweak the look, improve on it, but not go so far from the original that casual fans won't look at it and instantly know which team they are.

That's actually my definition of a pretty successful update - they managed to tweak the look, improve on it, but not go so far from the original that casual fans won't look at it and instantly know which team they are.

I don't disagree. I'm a big fan of minimalist updates.

But there's a level of aburdity in all the pomp that comes with these uniform unveilings. Some casual fan, waiting for the exciting new uniform, must be befuddled when they walk out essentially wearing what they wore last year. To them, this adds up to: Bubbles gets a facelift, team gets new numbers.

I'll post the graphics later on, but here's a Solid/Spot vs. Textiles color comparison:

DetroitLions_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

DetroitLions_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

Lions Unveil New Comprehensive Brand

Team modifies team logo and uniforms and introduces new branding elements

April 20, 2009

? Click here for a printable version of this release (PDF)

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions President Tom Lewand unveiled today the Detroit Lions? new comprehensive brand that includes a new logo and new uniforms during a press conference held today at Dunham?s Sports, the exclusive third-party retail partner for the new logo and brand launch, in Madison Heights.

As part of the new comprehensive brand, the Lions also introduced a new logotype and a new proprietary font, ?NFL Lions.? The new logotype is additional imagery that presents the Lions brand and will be featured in such prominent places as the endzone marking at Ford Field.

?We will consistently present the Lions as a first-class organization with a clear sense of mission and direction,? Lewand said. ?We have made several significant changes this offseason in accordance with that commitment. The introduction of this new brand identity is another element of that process. Today is an exciting and historic day for this franchise.

?The new identity retains many important aspects of our history in terms of our primary mark and our colors. However, the evolution allows us to present our Lions brand and visual identity in new, versatile and distinctive ways. We stand firmly committed to improving the team on the field. That success is always the most determinative factor of any NFL brand.?

The classic Honolulu blue, white and black colors remain unchanged.

NEW UNIFORM ELEMENTS

Home Honolulu Blue Jerseys

? The Lions new home jerseys are Honolulu Blue, a color first established in 1934.

? The numerals were developed and customized specifically for the Lions uniform. They are Honolulu Blue, trimmed in silver and black.

? Above the new numerals is the new Lions logotype.

? On the collar, there are three trim lines of equal width, with two black trim lines outside a silver trim line.

? The sleeves are a new knit sleeve that features a wide silver trim, inside two smaller white trims and those all inside two black trims of equal width as the white trim. The new material is improved and more flexible for players. The trim is part of the knit-sleeve material, which was changed from the previous silk-screened sleeve.

? Numerals remain on the shoulders but are now in the customized Lions jersey numerals.

? Players? nameplates on the back of the uniform have slightly modified block letters from the previous block letter names on the back of the uniform.

Road White Jerseys

? The road jerseys are the traditional ?road whites,? with blue numerals trimmed in silver and black.

? Included above the front numerals is the Lions logotype.

? On the road jerseys, the collar is in the same black and silver trim pattern as the home uniforms.

? Sleeves are of the same new knit-sleeve material that are on the new home uniforms. The trim on the sleeves includes a wide Honolulu blue trim, inside two smaller silver trims and those are all inside two black trims of equal width as the white trim.

Helmet

? With the introduction of the new Lions logo, the helmet now features the new logo on each side. It is the most significant change since the Lions logo was first placed on the team?s helmet in 1961.

? The facemasks will remain black, but the new Lions logotype will be included on the front and the back of the helmet.

? At the top middle of the helmet, the striping pattern has been modified. Instead of a thick white stripe, two Honolulu blue stripes and a very thin black accent stripe, the helmet striping pattern is now a 5/8-inch Honolulu blue stripe, two 3/16-inch white stripes and two 3/16-inch black stripes. Part of the new brand initiative is to create consistency and one example of this is that the striping pattern on the helmet, at a smaller scale, is the same striping pattern as the team?s game pants.

Pants and Game Socks

? Detroit?s game pants will remain in the team?s traditional silver. Like the striping pattern on the helmet, the pants vertical trim on the side of the legs are now a thick Honolulu blue stripe inside smaller white stripes, which are all inside black stripes that are the same width as the white stripes.

? The game socks, which are the same for the home and road uniforms, now have a 5/8-inch black stripe on the calf midline. The top half is Honolulu blue and the bottom half is white.

NFL Shield, NFL Equipment Logo and Reebok Vector Logo

? The NFL Shield, NFL Equipment logo and Reebok vector will be placed on the same parts of the uniform as in year?s past.

? On the back of the Lions? helmet, the NFL Shield is placed on the left (from a rear view).

? The NFL Equipment logo is prominently placed at the v-neck of both the home and road uniforms. It also appears at the top of the team?s left pant leg.

? Reebok?s vector logo appears on both top, side shoulders of the home and road uniforms, and the vector is placed on the top of the left pant leg.

from detroitlions.com

Archived