Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool part of the show...

Tom Lewand gets a bunch of kids up on stage with him before the uniforms were introduced.

He asks their ages and get's mostly from 5 to 9 years old.

He then looks around at all of them and says to the effect; "I want to apologize to all of you that we haven't won since most of you were born."

He then gave them all T-Shirts. :)

Good stuff.

? The sleeves are a new knit sleeve that features a wide silver trim, inside two smaller white trims and those all inside two black trims of equal width as the white trim. The new material is improved and more flexible for players. The trim is part of the knit-sleeve material, which was changed from the previous silk-screened sleeve.

So is this like the Steelers' durene sleeves?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pass >> logo, wordmark, stripe consistency (even if the stripes are bad), black shoes

Fail >> continued stupid use of black for black's sake, number font that looks like a Bears-Broncos love child, using "sleeve" stripes on jerseys that don't have sleeves thus giving a tape effect

Stripes no longer work on jersey sleeves, which we only call sleeves anymore because "skintight hole where arms come out" is kind of long and clunky. Why don't designers accept this and develop (or use existing) secondary logos on the sleeves? Like the Saints had with the state of Louisiana sleeve logo, which I guess is an ironic example to use because I couldn't stand those jerseys, but having the helmet logo on sleeves doesn't work either. How cool would it have been for the Lions to use an updated version of this on the sleeves? You could run those stripes to the collar for all I care, vertical would look better than the horizontal tape look.

lions%20logo.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Fail >> continued stupid use of black for black's sake.

Black is a part of the Lions color scheme, whether people like it or not.

The Lions use black as a TRIM color. And, they use it very well.

I still think they should have gone with Navy instead of Black in the first place.

I think its hard to dislike anything the Lions did here. Nothing to get excited about but a neat new logo, a modern number font that isn't intrusive and sure the black seems redundant, but actually it helps bring out the silver on the stripes. And its nice to see that Bubbles has grown up!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

So the only thing that I dislike about this is the number font (it's going to be dated in about 5 or 6 years) and the black facemask. Overall, this was a good update now that it's official.

How cool would it have been for the Lions to use an updated version of this on the sleeves? You could run those stripes to the collar for all I care, vertical would look better than the horizontal tape look.

I don't know anything official on this, but I'm getting the feeling that the NFL is doing away with secondary logos. Pretty much all of the newer sets have just a primary logo and a wordmark.

I'd love that number font if it weren't for those silly notches. Additionally, I feel like the home numbers should be white-black-silver, instead of white-silver-black. Does anyone else get annoyed by two light colors on top of each other like that? I have the same issue with the Patriots' home jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How cool would it have been for the Lions to use an updated version of this on the sleeves? You could run those stripes to the collar for all I care, vertical would look better than the horizontal tape look.

I don't know anything official on this, but I'm getting the feeling that the NFL is doing away with secondary logos. Pretty much all of the newer sets have just a primary logo and a wordmark.

Which makes sense...

Fail >> continued stupid use of black for black's sake.

Black is a part of the Lions color scheme, whether people like it or not.

The Lions use black as a TRIM color. And, they use it very well.

It wasn't always part of the scheme. My main objection is that black goes very nicely with some colors, not so well with others - like Honolulu Blue and Silver.

No harm in disagreement, you have your view, I have mine.

I did forget one item on my "pass" list - keeping the traditional look and not going all Minnesota on us. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Upon further inspection, I hate this a little more. The White uniforms' numbers match the sleeve stripes, but the Blue uniforms' don't. Bugs the hell out of me, probably my biggest pet peeve. If they look good matching on one uniform, what makes you think they will look good unmatched on the other uniform? There are just many small things that rub me the wrong way about these uniforms, but I know I should love that they kept it simple and didn't go the route the Jags are heading. I just get irritated when I look at them...even though I know they aren't horrible. Inexplicable I guess.

Also, since when were football pants worn like shorts? I thought they covered the knee at least?

I love these "still too much black" comments. The black is about as minimal as it can get. Such statements come off as sour grapes.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

None of this will matter about the uniforms when my Saints hand them their first official lost of the 2009 season!!!!!

Dub, I was in the Dome in 1977 when the 0-26 Tampa Bay Buccaneers came to town. Let's take them one at a time...... :rolleyes:

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Well the new logo looks good except for a few things for me...1) the random swoops in the mane seem out of place and 2) the snout looks like a beak. So with those things in mind, I made a couple of changes. Original is on the left, mine is on the right.

LionReWork.png

That looks much better than what they went with.

Archived