Lions uniform changes

Proc

Really? The eye is drawn to different aspects? That's your grand plan to ruin those Oiler uniforms for me? :D Please... try harder.

The Oilers' numerals were blue surrounded by a single red stripe. Every stripe on the Oilers' uniforms were blue surrounded by white, and then red stripes, making the Oilers' uniforms, you guessed it, inconsistent. They looked all right, but having the same design element all over the uniform like that seemed very amateur to me, like it was the easiest possible route the designer could have taken. It wasn't interesting to look at and it was as if I was being beaten over the head with this 'consistency,' which I took as an insult to my intelligence and to my visual acuity. Give me something a little bit quirky and a little bit inconsistent any day, like the Browns, Texans or the Oilers in a blue helmet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're discussing changes to the Lions uniforms... I posted this a while ago, but here it is again...

detroit_lions.png

This is the logo that was leaked on NFL.com. I enlarged it a little bit.

Also, the Lions are holding a press conference on April 20, and said that they are revealing the new logo and uniforms. So it'd be interesting if they whipped up a last minute logo to replace this leaked one.

Since we're discussing changes to the Lions uniforms... I posted this a while ago, but here it is again...

detroit_lions.png

Also, the Lions are holding a press conference on April 20, and said that they are revealing the new logo and uniforms. So it'd be interesting if they whipped up a last minute logo to replace this leaked one.

You haven't kept up with this thread, have you?

:D

I haven't read through the whole topic, no. But I did see that some people think the new logo would look better with the old blue outline, rather than the newer black one, so that's what I did. And I agree. I do think the blue outline looks better, especially now that the black uniforms have been retired.

detroit_lions.png

You haven't kept up with this thread, have you?

:D

evidently not :P

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

The unveiling is at a Dunham's store right down the street from where I live. Too bad it's not earlier in the day. If it was 9 a.m. or so, I would've been there. Gotta be at work by 11:30, though.

Where abouts do you work? I work in the Rochester area and was thinking about heading down on my lunch.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

New wordmark will be in the endzones... no more Copperplate.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nice move by the guy to bring up the kids, and admit that they haven't been good since they've been alive. Pretty funny moment. Cool to give them new Lions shirts.

EDIT: The shirts actually look really good with the new wordmark on them.

Got a big laugh out of this quote, when he was discussing what the new lines in the Lion and the new wordmark mean:

Don't forget about Detroit:

We're tough.

We've got character.

We've got motion.

We've got animation.

?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Number font isn't exactly the old Jags font, the 1s and 4s are different, and there's "slices" cut out in all of the other numbers. IMO it looks pretty cool, but will get old very soon.

These uniforms prove beyond any shadow of a doubt why no new uniform should include old-fashioned sleeve stripes. Just looks awful how they're cut off to accomodate the cut of the shirt. Also, as previously discussed, way to much of a contrast between the modern numbers and wordmark, and the "classic" sleeve stripes.

Looks like the "tear drop" from the old logo has found its niche--quite literally--in the inside top right corners of the Lions' numbers (except in the case of the 5, and I'd presume, the 6.) It also looks like Industria was the starting point for these numbers.

Either way it goes, to my eyes, they look like ass.

Look--I'm probably the biggest advocate of unique numbers around here, but there's a way to do it and make it look good and a way to do it and have it end up looking forced...these are most definitely the latter. it's almost as if they tried too hard and still didn't try hard enough, if that makes any sense.

The uniform base itself (everything else minus logo and numbers) is virtually identical to what it's replacing, so that's a push. But the one thing about this whole "new" identity that irks me to no end is how the wordmark is sans outlines while the uniform itself features DOUBLE outlines throughout...which only heightens the "static" look of the uniforms as opposed to the motion and animation of the logo and wordmark.

Overall...not impressed. Not even a little bit. I see no cohesion in this overall identity. But that's jsut my opinion.

Picture12.png

Frog foot, anyone???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I predict the first thing changed will be the numbers font. That built in swoosh will become dated quick.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived