ScottySprings' NCAA Football (08-09) Top 25 Countdown

scottysprings

So I'm going off on a little tangent here to show you guys a new (semi)action template I made over the course of the past 2 days. I had knee surgery on tuesday and I'm for the most part immobilized so I really have nothing to do besides lay around and play with electronic devices all day :P The team I'm using to model the template is the Binghamton Bearcats. Now, Binghamton doesn't even have a football team but I'm going there next year and, well, it's nice to see what they could look like. I really like how it turned out, both the template and the Binghamton concept. I'm kinda having a difficult time coming up with something for TCU but once I do it'll be up here. Thanks for looking!

Binghamton-1.png

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the look of the uniforms; cool font, and nice overall feel. But, while I'm impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail of the action template, it looks (to me) like he's, well, tipping over. Or he's Charlie Chaplin goose-stepping :). No offense meant at all, as it's really cool, but I just don't like the position he's in. Nice work.

scotland_fifasig.png

I know i just posted but im gonna post again, as i am so impressed with what you have done in this entire thread.

what I love about this design is that it's the team identity rather than generic piping and excess that makes this uniform...and yet it has absolutely no generic look to it.

A simple template, but the very distinct logos, wordmark, and numbers give it a very exclusive Binghamton feel. Also, I do not mind the action template at all, I think it looks fantastic.

Yeah, I like all of the work you have done so far. If there was one design that I had a small gripe about, it may be the addition of the logo on the Penn State helmet. This isn't a knock on you, but it just looks odd to me. However, the addition of the stripe on the pants is a terrific touch.

I think the simplicity of the action template is really what makes it work. It would be easy to picture this. The guy is walking forward but looking back. I look forward to seeing more of your concepts presented like this.

I'm actually going to go out on a limb here and say that, while I have mostly liked your concepts, one element has bugged me for the past 5 or so.

All of the numbers have seemed short and wide. Honestly, I'm not a big fan when they do that.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• 1 month later...

Well despite the fact that the AP Top 25 is different than it was at last season's end, I'm going to continue to try to finish off the series. I've had this TCU concept laying around on my desktop for a while and could never really come up with anything extraordinary to do with it but for the sake of finishing the series I'm going to post it anyway. My biggest dilemma was deciding whether or not I was going to ditch the black from the color scheme. Part of me says it's not an official color with the purple and white but at the same time, the black has been part of the uniforms for a while now and it looks very intimidating IMO. Not to mention the purple/black/white scheme is very unique as far as NCAA identities go. That said, the black stayed.I kinda think the current "horned trim" TCU has been using on their uniforms the last decade or so is a really unique trademark so I kept it but made the base color of the trim contrasting the color of the body of the jersey for a little more contrast. Next thing I did was drop the horned frog logo from the helmet because it made it look all too cluttered with the TCU mark, and of the two by themselves, the TCU looked better. You can also see I tried a gradient black to purple paint finish on the helmets similar to what San Diego State used to have. Lastly I modified the nike block they've been using a bit and dropped the drop shadow. I'd really appreciate some input on how to make this one better because I feel it has definite room for improvement, I just can't figure out what to do. Thanks for looking everyone.

TCU.png

Well, I've known what I wanted to do with Alabama all along so all it really was was a matter of rendering in illy. As with many other SEC uniforms, Bama is simple and iconic. The only thing I actually dislike about the uniform is the single color numbers, because on the plain stripe-less jersey it looks really boring. I added a gray outline to the numbers to expand the use of gray from beyond the facemask. Another thing I did was add the classic white helmet to go with the road whites. An all white look always looks awesome in my book and pays a little extra homage to Tide history. Lastly I changed the double stripe on the sides of the pants to a single red stripe to mirror the helmet striping. That's about it, let me know what you think.

Alabama.png

I love the Alabama concept, it looks really good and although I love the Houndstooth Trim, its been used in almost every Alabama concept you see now. I love the Silver trim on the numbers though and the white helmets look great as well, and lastly I really like the pants stripe. TCU looks preety nice as well, maybe try and throw the horned trim on the pants as a stripe or maybe render it around the legs like Hawaii's old Nike pants. Oh and the Action template looks awesome! Would love to see it for some more of your concepts.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Alrighty, here's Oklahoma. I made a return to the Northwestern stripes because I think they look great with the basic red & white jersey. I also added the pant striping pattern to the helmet for consistency's sake. Lastly I put the "OKLAHOMA" script on the white jersey in place of the "SOONERS". That's about all I really did, not much of a change but I think it's an improvement over before. Lemme know what you think.

Oklahoma.png

Archived