Detroit Lions Rebranding Concept

GFB

Hey everyone... it's been a while.

So this whole project started about 3 weeks ago when I got word that my hometown team, the Detroit Lions, were considering implementing a new logo. After giving it some thought, I finally decided to pick up the drawing pencil and give it a go... But first we need to address why this is necessary...

Now a phrase that has been brought up is "evolutionary, not revolutionary." While that sounds nice and dandy, we are talking about the worst organization in professional sports. A team that did not win a single game last year. Not one game.

When someone brings up the term "evolution", they usually mean "a change following a continuing trend". In fact, one of the dictionary.com's definitions of "evolution" is: "a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development..." So that brings up the question: "So what in the world is this franchise going to evolve into?"

What's the answer? An arena football team? Why in the world would we as Lions fans want this trend to continue?

A REVOLUTION is exactly what the Lions need. To completely change course. To do a 180°. To turn from losing and look to winning.

Now that we know why this is necessary, we need to realize that change is never easy. When the Buccaneers rebranded 10 years ago, there were alot of fans who didn't want to let go of Bucco Bruce. Same thing with the Denver Broncos. However, looking back, we now realize that it was for the best (or at least most of us do :P )

So what do Lions fans need to let go of? Bubbles. The symbol of 50 years of losing. Sure Bubbles is a nice logo. But Bubbles was also designed almost a half century years ago. Even half the people who look at it can't even tell the shape of the lion because of its major flaws (from purely a design standpoint.) It has symbolized poor management, underperforming teams, and even a death on the field. It is practically begging to be put down...

There you go... put Bubbles down nice and slowly... There! Was that so hard?

Now let me introduce you to the new mark of the Detroit Lions. A mark that will represent change. A mark that will represent the new dawn. A mark that will represent REVOLUTION.

Detroit_Lions_Logos.png

Together, Andy and I have put together the ultimate identity package for the Lions.

The first bit of business was to ditch any black. Instead, the black was replaced by gunmetal silver. We also richened the traditional honolulu blue to more of it's original state...

The primary logo is the product of studying several modern lion logos. You name a logo that contains a logo, it was probably searched and studied. Structure, facial postioning and expressions, highlights, everything, was carefully crafted.

The wordmark features a Verlander-esk update. Circus points were incorporated into the letters, a specific reference to the era of the greatest running back in NFL history, Barry Sanders.

Now onto the uniforms.

Detroit_Lions_Home_Road.png

Detroit_Lions_Alternate.png

We have made several changes to the uniforms. First off, the big, ugly sleeve stripes are gone. They just cannot be saved in today's NFL. They big, bulky, and look awful.

The second change was to eliminate the helmet stripes. Why? Because of the new waves of helmets entering the game. Each new helmet is safer for the players, but they often have a ton of funky curves and edges that take it's toll on the helmet stripes. And while there hasn't been a helmet that has completely messed up with helmet stripes yet, there could very well be one in the near future... (Side reason for no helmet stripes... I like helmets without stripes. ^_^ )

The third change was to silver numbers on the home uniform. With the changes we made to the honolulu blue, there is now enough contrast between the two to allow a switch.

The fourth change is the striping, especially on the pants. While asymetrical designs are sometimes frowned upon, I think that if done correctly, they can be brilliant looking. So in this case, we have straight stripes (not curved or tailored) that match the striping on the sleeve cuffs and the socks, that brings the whole uniform into glorious unity and provides for one sleek look.

Fifth, the nameplate. We decided to go with a different choice than normal athletic block. This gives the uniform a little bit more of a modern feel and adds to the flow of the uniform as a whole.

Lastly, we brought back the honolulu pants with the away jersey. These are not meant to be used all the time, just on special occasions. And yes, there will be special occasions under this new identity.

And finally, the field.

FordField.jpg

We brought back the honolulu blue endzones. Other than that, nothing was really changed.

Here's an in-game mock up of Ford Field:

FordFieldMockUp.jpg

And that's about it... what do you think? Did Andy and I succeed?

~Matt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

real sweet cuz.

few things that stand out for me.

* the eye looks just a touch high and just a touch too large making it a little pedomorphic.

* the whiskers could possibly converge or diverge a bit? at the moment they all seem to run parallel.

* the two greys are very close. perhaps you could use one and the white to add form to the hair?

just a few details. reckon it looks really sharp. you gonna make a whole body?

The only thing I don't like is how there's no secondary logo! I want more! Great job, although the jerseys are a bit plain (you gotta figure the players would cut the cuffs of anyways, so it'll end up just looking like the Raiders uniforms, which isn't necessarily bad).

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Okay, I really like the logo and uniforms. I really, really like the uniforms. The few things I would change are making the sleeve numbers a little less slanted and smaller, and like chestnutz said, you probably couldn't see the stripes well. Also the nameplate font I think should b a little bit bolder somehow, or a bit smaller in comparison to its width. On the logo, I think the whiskers should be a bit longer and the eyes a bit shorter.

My main problem is the double grays. I really, really hate the two grays in the design. The grays don't contrast with each other very well and the dark gray conrasts awfully with th blue, IMO. It really ruins the nice mane. Also, only one grey seems to be used in the uniforms. and if there are two, it should tell you that they are too close together. If you replaced the darker grey with a nicer, more different color, I think it would raise this up. Again, it's beautiful work. The wordmark is great, the field is great, the helmet is great, the uniform design is great, and the logo design is great. It's much better than what they have now. But while you have those greys together, it will just have to be "almost there" for me.

I'm a big fan of these. Like others, I have concerns that the cuff stripes wouldn't be visible. I don't love the removal of the helmet stripe. It leaves the helmet looking a bit empty, but I don't see how you could have helmet stripes with the asymmetrical striping pattern you've chosen and I understand your argument about the shape of helmets.

Beyond that, the only thing I can criticize is the inclusion of blue pants. They look great, but the team would clearly pair them with blue jerseys at some point to create a gross monochrome look. If it was up to me, I wouldn't give the team that option.

I really like this concept. I could see them really using this. I would add some more logos to the set though. Maybe a full bodied lion with the word mark incorperated with it. Or maybe a modernized logo with the vertical stripes of the old 50's/60's logo. Overall it is great work. Great to see you back on here.

This is one of the best logo concepts I've ever seen on here, fantastic job. The thing I don't love is the uniforms. You said this was a revolution, yet the uniforms aren't COMPLETELY different. They still have block numbers, they still have straight stripes in a traditional pattern and the look is basically the same (blue top, silver pants). What I am saying is that a casual fan might not even notice the jerseys being different. I'd go with something a little more daring and innovative for the uniforms. I'll leave that up to you though since I am absolutely in no place to tell you how to design anything.

The logo--whole concept, really--is very, very nice. Great job on that front.

If I could get nitpicky, I would scale back the midfield logo. As is, in my opinion, it seems a couple notches too big. Otherwise, this Lions' concept ranks very high for me. Excellent work.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I was so excited when I saw this thread. I saw the names of the designers and thought this will be the best concept ever! The thought process and rendering are perfect. The design, however, isn't. The first thing I saw was Loyola. I know there are only so many ways to draw a lion. Trust me, I've spent the last 20 years trying to come up with an update for the Lions. I think the idea of revolution instead of evolution is absolutely the way to go.This just doesn't seem to revolutionary to me. I know I couldn't do any better, but this a little less inspired than I was hoping for.

Cripes, man. This is great. Like Joel said, if this was a reality, I'd have a ton of Lions' merchandise. I do, however, have a few minor critiques.

- Davidson mentioned the eye, and I totally agree. It's a bit too big. I'd also see how it looks without the pupil in the eye...right now it's just a bit too cartoony. Other than that, though, the logo's pretty much flawless. Beautiful job. The wordmark is great as well.

- The uniforms, although I like the simplicity, leave me wanting a bit more. I think with such a modern Lions logo, maybe slightly more modern uniforms are in order.

I don't believe it's a matter of the direction of the lion.To me, it's the fact that the first thing I thought of was LMU. And even though the Lions are worse than most college teams, I don't think the NFL would ever open themselves up to a potential lawsuit over copyright infringement. There are absolute differences, and I actually think GFB's lion is great. It's just too similar to LMU.

Archived