Detroit Lions Rebranding Concept

GFB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll echo everyone on here who loves this concept. Clearly, it's top-notch. I just don't think that it would stand the test of time.

I think if the club were to greatly deviate from its historic leaping lion, fans -- and people on this board -- will start calling for its return within two seasons, if not sooner.

That said, nice work. It's a classy concept.

I disagree with the LMU comparision. GFB and AH's Lion is saying "Hey!!! Aaron Rodgers! I'm going to teeth-rip your motherf-cking throat out!", while the LMU Lion is saying "Look at me, aren't I the most regal summabitch you've ever had the pleasure of laying your eyes upon? Stroke my magnificent mane and see what magic it possesses."

I like the direction that you took with the logo but I'm not feeling the uniforms. I agree with others that then Lion needed to be more 'fierce' looking than you had it so I took the liberty of tweaking your design to see how it could look. Also, you have pewter in your color scheme for the logo but nowhere else in the uni design. Didn't know if that was intentional or just how it was supposed to be.

Concept-DetroitLionsLogo.png

I also noticed the LMU resemblance, but wanted to wait to see if it was just my alumni bias making that opinion. I think what makes them similar is the shading style of the mane, since when I covered everything below the eye, it looked strikingly like a recolored LMU logo.

VmWIn6B.png

I'd like to step in and give Matt the vast majority of the credit for this rendering. I came in at the end quickly with a few minor adjustments, but not much more. He should get the, um, lion's share (?) of the applause. It's a pretty stellar-looking piece after only one go-round with the 'art director.' A few more revisions would probably do it well, but hindsight is always 20/20, I suppose. Great work, Matt.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I weep for my logo creating skills.

Top notch fellas.

I think you would have some issues with the LMU logo just because the NFL is such a high profile product. I know for a fact you didn't draw inspiration from it, but the NFL's trademark lawyers might think they are a tad too close. But you put anything else but "Detroit" on there you'd be A.O.K and you could sell this for a good chunk of change.

Its tough to even think about critiquing this work. it is superb. it is wonderfully rendered. my sticking point is that it doesnt say NFL. it looks like a modern collegiate rebrand. i like the leaping lion because its unique to NFL helmets. this is similar to jacksonville in that its a cat head, with a slightly oval appearance. i hate being critical here, because it is so great, but i just cant fall in love with it. if it is what it is (a lions head), id like to see less grey or even none. id like to see it with navy and honolulu blue, maybe some white. excellent concept. nothing constructive really, with exception of my own personal feelings of what the lions look like. i want to see a dolphins/seahawks/eagles update, this feels like an overhaul.

Not a bad concept. With the reduced sleeve area, the TV numbers probably should be moved to the shoulder. The logo is nice, but the uniform's simple design doesn't match up. A secondary logo would help. I'd prefer silver trim rather than silver numbers on the dark jerseys, but that is minor. I don't believe those solid color socks are going to fly with the regular uniforms.

Still, a solid concept.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I'll echo everyone on here who loves this concept. Clearly, it's top-notch. I just don't think that it would stand the test of time.

I think if the club were to greatly deviate from its historic leaping lion, fans -- and people on this board -- will start calling for its return within two seasons, if not sooner.

That said, nice work. It's a classy concept.

I second this. It's rendered very cohesively and thoughtfully, and your reasoning behind it is solid. The eyeball should be re done, it should look determined and detailed. Right now it looks kind of oblique and hollow, and too--playful. The eye in the Lions' old prototype displays that ferociousness and determination really well:

DetroitLionsPrototype.GIF

Everything else looks great. The wordmark is also solid.

However, I cannot see the Detroit Lions actually using this, because of what gosioux said, and it's similarity to LMU. I just don't think the NFL would let that slide.

As a concept for another Lions' team, by all means. If the NFL expanded and had a team called the Royals--by all means. Meaning it is professional level work, of course.

The current Detroit Lions are also one of the few teams that does not fall into the 'flying head' football logo category. I think what they have now is timeless, it works, and is easily recognizable. Sure it adheres to a losing history, but it's still a classic. Maybe a full bodied lion could work, in a completely different pose.

Regardless, great job, always a fan of both you guys' work. Keep it up.

I really like where this is going. I echo the feelings of others who say this is the best Lions "rebranding" concept I have ever seen on this board. That being said, I see the point about it being similar to LMU. I didn't think of them at first, I think because the LMU lion has a closed mouth and this concept was open mouth. Also, this is nowhere near the maroon/red that LMU used, so I didn't pick up the thought of similarity until it was pointed out. Even so, I think it is a LOT better that what they currently have. My first thought was maybe put a bigger grey/dark grey contrast in the elements. Like maybe the lighter grey is closer to white and the dark grey is closer to charcoal, almost a blackish-grey. I have to disagree with other's comments on the eye though. My first and second blush reaction was that is was well placed, and looked fierce enough to me.

The lighter grey can become the number color on the honolulu blue UNIs (thickly outlined in the charcoal) and you could do a light grey/charcoal/light grey stripe pattern on a honolulu blue helmet shell. For the white UNIs, I'd go with the honolulu blue numbers with charcoal outline. Pants would ALWAYS be the lighter grey for both UNI sets, with a charcoal-h.blue-charcoal pants stripe from the knee upwards. Just below the waistline, the letters DL would be in the Lions circus script in charcoal outlined by h.blue as a kind of secondary logo, only for the pants. The "DL" would be rotated by 90 degrees so that the back of the D was almost touching the pants stripe and the L was about 1/2 inch from the belt. The D was slightly offset (raised) compared to the L in the secondary logo, mostly for variety and to make it more visually appealing.

Anyway, just my 2 cents......

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

"pop" is a word the design-uneducated use that designers hate. let's see you make it "pop"

Thank you for calling me "design uneducated".

I didn't know you spoke for the entire design community.

I will now retire from these boards, because i used the word "pop".

Thank you good sir, for correcting me in my misguided ways.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived