NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

Well that sucked!

Does Pittsburgh have the character to force a Game 7?

Will Crosby show up?

-Dan

Find out on the next episode of "Stanley Cup Finals!"

Cue theme music! Roll credits!

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Starring

Sidney Crosby as himself

Evgeni Malkin as Tony Soprano

Marc Andre Fleury as himself

Chris Osgood as himself

Pavel Datsuk as himself

Mike Babcock as himself

Gary Bettman as The Count

Executive Producer

Gary Bettman

Director

Gary Bettman

Senior Editor

Gary Bettman

Make-Up artist

Colin Campbell

An NHL Production

Copyright MMIX

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what show did NBC have to show tonight?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Another year, another Stanley Cup celebration in an arena other than Joe Louis, what a shame. While I like it for the Wings to win game 6, I'd like to see them win at home.

Well, at least you're feeling the Pengiuns' pain (such as it is). Both their Cup wins came during the Lemieux years, and both were clinched on the road (Minnesota in '91 and Chicago in '92). And of course, the only Cup celebration in Pittsburgh was last year... by Detroit.

CCSLC signature.png

Another year, another Stanley Cup celebration in an arena other than Joe Louis, what a shame. While I like it for the Wings to win game 6, I'd like to see them win at home.

Well, at least you're feeling the Pengiuns' pain (such as it is). Both their Cup wins came during the Lemieux years, and both were clinched on the road (Minnesota in '91 and Chicago in '92). And of course, the only Cup celebration in Pittsburgh was last year... by Detroit.

The last time any Pittsburgh team won a championship at home was the 1960 World Series, the last two Steeler Super Bowl wins were sorta home games since the crowd at both was about 75% Steeler fans.

So, if Detroit pulls it off tonight who gets the Conn Smythe?

The homers and hefty girls wearing Osgood jerseys that are smaller than common sence would dictate will pull for Osaverage but I think it would have to go to Zetterberg... again.

1. He led the team in scoring

2. He really stepped up when Datsyuk went down

3. He shut down Crosby while also out scoring him

-Dan

Also, will we see another rematch in 2010?

Will the Wings have enough gas to make it back? (Two long play-off runs in a row plus Olympics)

Will any UFA pull a Hossa and go to Pittsburgh (they could beat any of the other 14 teams in the West)

What about Hossa's (I'm here on a mission to win) virtual playoff no-show? I'm guessing a bottom feeder would over pay for him. I expected more out of Hossa (like 10 to 12 goals).

Hopefully though Pittsburgh will pull the upset and make the above poings moot, except Hossa.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

So, if Detroit pulls it off tonight who gets the Conn Smythe?

The homers and hefty girls wearing Osgood jerseys that are smaller than common sence would dictate will pull for Osaverage but I think it would have to go to Zetterberg... again.

1. He led the team in scoring

2. He really stepped up when Datsyuk went down

3. He shut down Crosby while also out scoring him

Conn Smythe's a tough call. I can see Datsyuk getting it despite being out for part of the series; after all that award is for the most valuable player in the playoffs, and the Wings' two Finals losses without Datsyuk illustrate how valuable he is to them. That said, goalies have tended to get a disproportionate number of Smythe trophies in recent years (2 of the last 5; one of which even went to the '03 series-losing goalie), so if Detroit wins it, as I expect they will*, my money's on Osgood for the Smythe.

Also, will we see another rematch in 2010?

Will the Wings have enough gas to make it back? (Two long play-off runs in a row plus Olympics)

I have my doubts about a Pens-Wings III in 2010. Detroit may actually have some competition to win the Central next year with the Hawks and Blues coming on strong. And the Sharks are reminding me a lot of the Wings of the early '90s; at or near the top of the league in the regular season but always making an early playoff exit. It's just a matter of time before they finally break through. And of course you can never count out Anaheim either. As for the Pens, they're the class of the East but the Bruins and Caps are each probably just one or two missing pieces away from being able to unseat them.

Will any UFA pull a Hossa and go to Pittsburgh (they could beat any of the other 14 teams in the West)

The Rangers are supposedly set to offer Marian Gaborik a huge wad of cash to come to MSG, but I wonder if he might not take less money to go to a top Cup contender like Pittsburgh instead.

---

* though to hedge my bets, I have made v4.1 championship sigs for both teams, ready to post whichever one actually wins of course.

CCSLC signature.png

1-0 Pengins after 2.

To all who've pretty much ceded the cup to them dang Wangs already, well...what is that that Lee Corso like to say all the time on College GameDay?

"Not so fast, my friend."

(Though it's entirely possible for them dang Wangs to go off and put two or more biscuits past MAF29 in the final frame.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1-0 Pengins after 2.

To all who've pretty much ceded the cup to them dang Wangs already, well...what is that that Lee Corso like to say all the time on College GameDay?

"Not so fast, my friend."

(Though it's entirely possible for them dang Wangs to go off and put two or more biscuits past MAF29 in the final frame.)

The extra day off probably helped the Pens.

As will the extra day off before Game 7.

:censored: you NBC. Nobody wants to watch your crap programming anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the Pens win, I think Crosby gets the Conn Smyth. Sure Malkin is leading the playoffs in scoring, but he is playing like an idiot with all these stupid penalties. Crosby led them to the finals, and if he has a big game 7 I think he gets it.

If the Wings win, hands down Osgood wins. He's played on his head for the Wings and he deserves it, even though Im not a fan of him.

beLEAF

If the Pens win, I think Crosby gets the Conn Smyth. Sure Malkin is leading the playoffs in scoring, but he is playing like an idiot with all these stupid penalties. Crosby led them to the finals, and if he has a big game 7 I think he gets it.

If the Wings win, hands down Osgood wins. He's played on his head for the Wings and he deserves it, even though Im not a fan of him.

No kidding. Even in the loss tonight Osgood stood on his head the whole time, as did Fleury. My kind of game. Let's have one more.

CCSLC signature.png

IF the road team is to prevail, then they got a serious question to ask:

DO THEY REALLY WANT IT???

I mean, it's one thing to say you want it. Sure, feed the press the lines they want to hear. But do the Penguins really believe, after that assrapery that was Game 5, that they can go into the Joe Louis Arena, knowing FULL WELL how the home team plays and holds their home ice, impose their will, take it to them dang Wangs from the very first drop of the puck, dole out the hits, keep up the forecheck, push them dang Wangs around, knock a few on they butts, be the more physical squad--and get more shots on net? They may say they can do these things...but can they? WILL they? Right out the gate, they got to let them Wangs know they ain't playin, that they is there on a MISSION. Detroit is one resilient club--they ain't finna just roll over after being down after two periods. BUT, maybe the Pens can get inside their heads a little bit. Shoot the puck with reckless abandon. Murk any Red Wing who dares skate into the Pens' defensive zone as soon as they cross that blue line (so long as it's a LEGAL hit, of course). I mean...take the fight to THEM.

THey should know full well how it feels to watch another team celebrate on their home ice. I'd like to think they'd use that as added incentive...so that they can "return the favor" this year.

We'll see what happens in a couple days, won't we?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

On an entirely different note, between these playoffs and the NBA postseason, I can't recall a more exciting--or at least suspenseful--perios in sports postseason history, what with several NBA and NHL series having gone the full seven.

I think it's stuff like this that pulls fans back into their, uh, fandom of sports.

Archived