things you hate in sports

goalieboy82

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star treatment in the NBA. Rules are made to avoid this kind of thing.

David Stern. He gave LA another All-Star Game (after only 7 years), yet none or one to either Portland, Sacramento, Orlando, etc. (Not sure on Orlando, but to me they are a small market Eastern Confrence team, and I'm not sure if they have hosted an All-Star Game). Stern used the warm-weather statement as an excuse to give another All-Star Game to LA. To him, it's quickly becoming more and more about the $-money-$. I wonder if he has some debt to pay to the mafia. :mad:

David Stern's willingness to trade in a loyal seasoned market (like Seattle) for a shiney new city (to his league).

Gary Bettman's (and the Board of Governers') seemingly strong favoring of U.S. markets over Canadian markets (even though I'm American); just see their treatment of the Phoenix situation now compared to the Winnipeg situation in 1996.

The Los Angeles Lakers (how'd they get Odom AND Gasol?!) :mad: If not for Memphis spoon-feeding the Lakers with Gasol, my Utah Jazz could have easily won the West in the 2008 Playoffs. They'll probably get O.J. Mayo eventually, despite the salary cap. :angered:

Bud Selig's seemingly indifferent stance towards the steroids scandal.

The Reebokification of the NFL, and now the NHL. Also, the New-Era-izing of MLB hats (they just want to jack up the price for a MLB hat so they can make their logo on it bigger) :angered: .

The over-glamorizing of Soccer in North America. It's all right anywhere in the world, but I feel that it's kind of being shoved down our throats; it just doesn't compare with the Big 4. Dave Checketts seems to do that a bit here in Utah. They actually scheduled an RSL game over a Stanley Cup Final game a couple years ago (when RSL games were on the NBC affiliate here; now they're on CBS). That, and also scheduling an RSL game over an NFL scrimmage at LaVell Edwards Stadium.

The apparent feud between the NBA and NHL. Many smaller NBA markets (like Salt Lake) have few places to get NHL apparel, and vice versa with smaller NHL markets, it seems. The two leagues never seem to get along. :(

The term "stuff".

"he had great stuff today"

"I think my stuff is there, it's just location I need to work on"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

DH

NBA flopping

What happened to traveling?

NFL preseason

NFL's year round presence on ESPN (it should be two games tops and have half priced tickets)

----------

I got roped into coaching my kid's little league team. It can go so smoothly if you don't have parents arguing every single call. You can't see better than the ump from your seat, a-hole!

When there is always the token idiot who yells "Get in the hole!" after every single Tiger Woods drive...especially on a Par 5.

I was at the second round of the Buick Open a few years ago, Par 5, Tiger smacks a drive and someone yells "Get in the hole", so I yelled "That's the point!". Crowd got a kick out of it.

And I'm going to add to the "Fans" suggestion, by saying whiny fans. Blame the refs for last night's loss Detroit! It's all their fault! While I do believe that there were a few calls that could have been made, I'm glad they weren't. It's the finals, don't let things be decided by penalties, as long as it goes both ways, as it did last night.

And I'm going to add to the "Fans" suggestion, by saying whiny fans. Blame the refs for last night's loss Detroit! It's all their fault! While I do believe that there were a few calls that could have been made, I'm glad they weren't. It's the finals, don't let things be decided by penalties, as long as it goes both ways, as it did last night.

These fans bother me too, especially when they represent your fanbase and create an image as constant complainers. I'm a die-hard Wings fan but still think the reffing from games 4 to 6 has been fine. Unfortunately there are always those immature ones that must blame the refs for every loss.

I hate watching Bettman try to shove "young stars" down people's throats; watching him scowl after the Winter Classic when his beloved Kane and Toews lost and glaring at the ice while the Penguins are down 5-0; and the fact that they want more people to tune into the NHL yet half of the fans don't get Versus and can't watch the playoffs.

Jerseys.png

People who think their favorite sports team is a reflection of them personally (See: Boston sports fans circa 2004-2008).

College football fans, especially the SEC.

ESPN-ification of sports highlights.

Does this make me an anti-fan?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Red Wing fans who think that Betman and the NHL is "out to screw the Wings" and is fixing games.

Don't believe me click the following links and have a read and a listen

Detroit News

or

Detroit Sports Talk Radio

-Dan

sounds like some of the coast to coast am conspiracy theorist guests/callers. some people can't accept the fact their team well, lost to the better team. no conspiracy theory, no evil bettman, no bigfoot and no mysterious Pen Island Seamen.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Here is a small gripe I have. I was at the opening game of the ICC T20 cricket world championships at Lords the other day, and the ICC (the guys who run international cricket) are hilariously paranoid about there sponsorship agreements. In the Lords shop, all the (adidas sponsored) England gear was locked away so you couldn't buy it, and all there was were cheap Tshirts to buy as clothing. And all the concession stands had there names covered over with signs that said things like 'Burgers' or 'Rum Bar' with a large prominent ICC logo next to them. Was all a bit pathetic.

And personally I think Pete Rose should be in the Baseball hall of fame NOW. Its hypocritical that he isn't, there are plenty of worse guys in the Hall already, and he holds one of the truly great records in the game. The Hall of Fame isn't about the character of a person, its about there Baseball achievements, IMHO.

And I am a fan of NFL overtime, my complaint is people who moan about it. You had 60 minutes to win the game in normal time. I might possibly start overtime with the team that gets possession starting with the ball on there own 30 yard line, rather than having a kick off, but thats it.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

People who think their favorite sports team is a reflection of them personally (See: Boston sports fans circa 2004-2008).

College football fans, especially the SEC.

ESPN-ification of sports highlights.

Does this make me an anti-fan?

That's it right there. That's why I hate fans.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

When basketball players jump into a defender and draw a foul. Grinds my gears.

I've never understood that. What is the defender supposed to do? Stay out of his way both where the shooter was and then anticipate that he's going to jump into him? How is any shot allowed to be contested if this is legal? To me it's like if every player leaned into a changeup over the plate in baseball. The defense did everything correctly within the basic rules and yet still get penalized.

PvO6ZWJ.png

What happened to traveling?

Do people really honestly care as much about the NBA fudging on traveling calls as Internet discontent would seem to indicate? I mean, to hear it from some people, they're just running around with balls under their arms. I can enjoy the NBA without fretting about traveling not being called in every single instance. The NFL doesn't always call holding, and the NHL doesn't always call any number of infractions. How do you bear to watch sports?

It just seems like "they don't call traveling!" is one of those reliable "NBA sucks" tropes that people trot out without really meaning it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Red Wing fans who think that Betman and the NHL is "out to screw the Wings" and is fixing games.

Don't believe me click the following links and have a read and a listen

Detroit News

or

Detroit Sports Talk Radio

-Dan

Of course Bettman is trying to screw the Wings. Their colours are red and white, which are the colours of the Canuckistani flag and we all know how much Bettman hates Canuckistan. Not to mention Detroit is just across the border. :upside:

I saw, I came, I left.

One of the things I hate is made up mascots or team names.

The ECHL was famous for this.

Long Beach Ice Dogs

Louisiana Ice Gators

Pensacola Ice Pilots

Louisville Icehawks

Mississippi Sea Wolves

Greenville Grrrowl :blink:

Mobile Mysticks :wacko:

I'm sure there are others but c'mon....

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Archived