things you hate in sports

goalieboy82

'NoHoJoe' date='Monday, June 8th, 2009 - 16:29:37' post='1173252']

1. NCAA Division I Football Overtime. The OT period should be a 15 minute period in which the team with the higher score at the end of the OT period wins the game!

2. The Jump Ball/Possession arrow rule crap in College Basketball. If the ref calls a Jump Ball, then the ball should be jupmed up- no possesion arrow crap!!!

1. DISSAGREE

2. AGREE!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do people really honestly care as much about the NBA fudging on traveling calls as Internet discontent would seem to indicate? I mean, to hear it from some people, they're just running around with balls under their arms. I can enjoy the NBA without fretting about traveling not being called in every single instance. The NFL doesn't always call holding, and the NHL doesn't always call any number of infractions. How do you bear to watch sports?

It just seems like "they don't call traveling!" is one of those reliable "NBA sucks" tropes that people trot out without really meaning it.

Well, it's mostly due to the fact that I can't dribble well. If I knew I could just stroll to the rim with the ball tucked away and my killer shooting, I coulda been the biggest star in the NBA! Anything is possible!!! (except a 5'11" man with a .5" vertical getting in the NBA) :D

Fans who claim that when their team loses in a series that they would beat the team that the team they lost to is playing. (Sorry for the terrible sentence, but I could not find any other way to word it). If "your team" was that great they would have beaten the team they just lost to!

Fans who claim that when their team loses in a series that they would beat the team that the team they lost to is playing. (Sorry for the terrible sentence, but I could not find any other way to word it). If "your team" was that great they would have beaten the team they just lost to!

A Facebook friend of mine still insists the Rockets were the best team and should be in the Finals. He's pretty delusional. He also thinks the Rockets would have beaten the Bulls in 1994 and 1995 if Jordan hadn't retired, just to give you a frame of reference.

(I call him a "Facebook friend" because he's a tool and not a real friend.)

He also thinks the Rockets would have beaten the Bulls in 1994 and 1995 if Jordan hadn't retired, just to give you a frame of reference.

The Rockets and Bulls matched up in a weird that went in the Rockets favor during that era. Of course, it doesn't mean the Bulls couldn't have adjusted during a series and overcome them. It would've been cool to see.

MLS who keeps claiming they are superior to the USL. Until they prove it I think it's total bs.

Uh... MLS is superior to USL. That's not really much of a debate. And in case you think I'm an MLS fanboy and hate the USL, kindly check my sig.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

MLS who keeps claiming they are superior to the USL. Until they prove it I think it's total bs.

Uh... MLS is superior to USL. That's not really much of a debate. And in case you think I'm an MLS fanboy and hate the USL, kindly check my sig.

Well Toronto FC loses to the Montreal Impact and the Vancouver Whitecaps more often then they beat them. Just sayin'.

In any case, both leagues would probably lose to European amateur clubs.

thecatch.jpg

The inability of a mediocre-to-bad MLS team to win the Canadian Championship against two of the better USL-1 teams doesn't really extrapolate to USL being better overall than MLS.

Oh, and... no, MLS teams would not likely lose to "European amateur clubs" on a regular basis, given their reasonably good performances against first- and second-division European clubs. Now, the Thunder, on the other hand... let's not talk about that.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

And aluminum bats should be banned in college baseball.

ALL OF BASEBALL!!! You get a 8 or 9 year old that can hit...and the kid pitching or the 3rd baseman can be a sitting duck. Also the cost, come on a $300 bat for a Little Leaguer and the damn thing is only good for a season and can break when it is too cold. I know they can make wood composite bats for the youth leagues that don't cost a fortune. Metal bats are bad for baseball.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Bunting foul with 2 strikes = out.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind that rule, never really have.

Other than the fact that someone could sit there and bunt all day.

The DH rule; either keep it for both leagues (which would never fly in the N.L.), or neither.

Over and back in the NBA; what's the point?

NFL Overtime; death to sudden death!

adopt the college overtime system.

The BCS

Just adopt a tourney bracket.

And I agree why can't they just have jump balls in college (and high school) instead of the possession arrow thing, which I still don't understand.

And finally. flagrant fouls. Either call a foul, or don't. Or eject the guy. Don't do all this flagrant 1, 2, and 3 crap.

Timeouts to ice the kicker drive me nuts in football.

And 12 fouls in the last 59 seconds of a basketball game drives me nuts too.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Brat Farve.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well Toronto FC loses to the Montreal Impact and the Vancouver Whitecaps more often then they beat them. Just sayin'.

In any case, both leagues would probably lose to European amateur clubs.

Please tell me the last time Toronto FC has lost to Montreal.

I beg you!

1zqy8ok.gif

top 5 nfl draft picks that get multi million $ contracts before playing a single down in the NFL.

I've never really understood this. Yeah, some players get paid more than they're worth, but why blame the players? Wouldn't you want as much money as possible? And if you were a top five pick who might get seriously injured on your very first down, wouldn't it be nice to have a guaranteed $5 million (or whatever) to live on while you figure out the rest of your life?

People talk like they'd turn down pro money. If you wouldn't, why should a player?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Interviews with athletes who flap their gums but say nothing.

Intentional fouls in basketball extending the ends of the games.

The mis-use of the phrase "unaswered points". If a team was down 4-0 and score 6, their first four points were their answers to the other teams original 4, meaning they have scored six consecutive points, but only 2 that are "unanswered".

Brett FaRve.

Allowing the hand pass in the defensive zone in hockey. Why on Earth you would allow a player to do something at one end of the ice and not the other is stupid. If all the rules changes in the NHL were designed to increase scoring chances, why leave in a rule that helps the defense? By the way, the whole point of hockey is to move the puck with the stick, not fling it with your hand like a spaz. It goes against the entire basis of the sport and is an aesthetic nightmare to watch happen.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

When you consider how much money we, as fans, pump into the NFL, the truth is that most players are paid market value. Some are paid more, more are paid less, but complaining about the scale of the NFL seems foolish. We made the monster.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When you consider how much money we, as fans, pump into the NFL, the truth is that most players are paid market value. Some are paid more, more are paid less, but complaining about the scale of the NFL seems foolish. We made the monster.

And the alternative is old rich white guys getting older and richer. And presumably whiter.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The mis-use of the phrase "unaswered points". If a team was down 4-0 and score 6, their first four points were their answers to the other teams original 4, meaning they have scored six consecutive points, but only 2 that are "unanswered".

I don't think this is correct. You're overanalyzing it by calling the first four points "answers," as if scoring really represents some sort of dialogue. It's descriptivist of me, I know, but when they say "unanswered," they really mean "successive" or "uninterrupted." If someone told me "the Braves, down 4-nothing, scored two unanswered runs to take a 6-4 lead," that would be confusing and of no semantic value. I've never perceived any sort of ambiguity in the use of "unanswered." Not that that alone should take an error off the hook: I know full well what they mean by "winningest," but that doesn't make the user sound like any less of a buffoon for using it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In US sports where teams will walk of the court/field before the final siren/whistle/air horn/buzzer. Sure there may only be seconds left, but play them out. And then the teams will walk off without shaking hands. Show some respect for your opponent and shake hands after the game, win or lose (or draw).

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived