Abraham Lincoln Logo

jaha32

I'm kind of on a presidents theme here as I just posted a logo I did with George Washington in it. So I decided while I'm at it I might as well post the only other logo I've done that has a president in it.

This one is a relatively young Abraham Lincoln with an axe since he was known to use an axe and chop trees and whatnot in his younger days. He was actually known as the "Railsplitter" and there is a college in the hills of Tennesee called the "LMU Railsplitters" named after Lincoln. Their colors are blue and gray.

In February they contacted me asking me to submit a logo for their logo contest. This is what I came up with but everytime I ask them the results of the contest they keep telling me that they havent decided yet and dont know what theyre doing. so I said 'f' it... if theyre never gonna decide Im just gonna post it here.

So here it is....

LMU.jpg

Beautiful. They'd have to be stupid not to adopt yours. Top left is best for the primary.

Sad to hear it's spec work though. They asked you to enter their contest? That's odd. It's like they are hiring you but not paying you for your design process in creating the 'entries' to their contest.

I thought it was odd of them too, just asking me to enter their contest and listing a price if chosen. (I was told I was in the final 2. but that was months ago) It is a very round-about way of getting a logo, but whatever Im done trying to do this kind of stuff for profit. just a hobby now and Im okay with that.

Anyways, I agree with your top left choice. the white LMU stands out more I think.

PS: I recently did a logo for a new hockey team in Madison joining the Midwest Hockey League. Got paid, but now the team's website is down and the day they said they were going to unveil the logo, May 1, came and went and no new news on the team has been posted. Im thinking they folded before they began! Do you think it would be ethical of me to post it here since it was never unveiled yet?? I no longer own the logo, the owner of the team does since I sold it to him and he can use it for what he wants I guess, but if it's never going to be used I want someone to at least see it.

I thought it was odd of them too, just asking me to enter their contest and listing a price if chosen. (I was told I was in the final 2. but that was months ago) It is a very round-about way of getting a logo, but whatever Im done trying to do this kind of stuff for profit. just a hobby now and Im okay with that.

Anyways, I agree with your top left choice. the white LMU stands out more I think.

PS: I recently did a logo for a new hockey team in Madison joining the Midwest Hockey League. Got paid, but now the team's website is down and the day they said they were going to unveil the logo, May 1, came and went and no new news on the team has been posted. Im thinking they folded before they began! Do you think it would be ethical of me to post it here since it was never unveiled yet?? I no longer own the logo, the owner of the team does since I sold it to him and he can use it for what he wants I guess, but if it's never going to be used I want someone to at least see it.

I'd be curious to see it. Just post a low-res jpg and you should be fine.

I think it looks great - I'd love to see a full identity package. The only thing I'm concerned about is it looks like Honest Abe might slice his neck open if that axe slips. ^_^ Maybe turn the axe around, like he's actually about to chop something?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Solid work, though it could definitely be simplified a bit and thus improved, especially in terms of reproduction and scalability.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Outstanding!!

The only thing is that Lincoln didn't have the beard until later into his presidency. But I bet you need the beard so people know it's Lincoln.

Well done!

Close. He grew it after the election, but before his inauguration.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

thats some great work. could you give us some insight as to how you created it? did you hand draw Abe and then trace it in Ai? that how i usually do mine, or trace it in Adobe Flash

I drew the body and axe, then scanned it into AI and traced it like you said. For the face I tried a technique I normally dont do and traced a picture of Lincoln to get the spacing and features right and then added my own shadows and stylized it. then made his mouth a scowl and his eyes mean

Archived