Best, most fitting team nicknames

hawk36

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many good ones but what is THE best. A name that could not exist anywhere else except for the city it exits in? Seattle Sounders are great but there are Sounds (type of body of water) in many places. Is there any that do, and only could, exist in THE one place?

Philadelphia Phillies?

This is a stretch, but if you changed the spelling to "Fillies", then it could work in Louisville, Baltimore, and Elmont, as it'd represent the horse racing industry. But I'm not sure why you'd want a team named after female horses.

I know that they started in Fort Wayne, but Detroit Pistons sounds like a perfect match. Granted, it's lost it's meaning over the past few years, but try putting "Pistons" with another city, and it really makes no sense what-so-ever.

I'm glad you brought this up because believe it or not, the town of Elmont is part of the Sewhanaka School District, which composes of 5 schools. None of them have a horse nickname, not even Floral Park High School which is literally across the street from Belmont

EDIT: Which reminds me of another LI High school that's got a bad nickname. Lawrence High School. It's both on the water and across a canal from JFK Airport. So they could've used Jets, right? Nope. Alright, how about Golden Hurricanes like Tulsa considering we get hurricanes from time to time and it's right in a storm surge area to boot?. Well, not quite. They're the Golden Tornadoes, because, you know, a school right on the water on Long Island's more prone to a tornado than a hurricane

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Here are several more:
  • [
  • Kansas City Wizards (the nickname itself is not unique, but was chosen as a reference to The Wizard Of Oz, part of which was set in Kansas)

Except, of course, that Kansas City is in Missouri.

Technically, Kansas City is also in Kansas. It is still KC on the other side of the bridge I believe.

Haha neither have I but, there's a guy that lives around here that has the world record for most corn shucked in a minute I believe. I saw him do it once.

Not sure why we needed that useless fact, but oh well. ^_^

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Technically, Kansas City is also in Kansas. It is still KC on the other side of the bridge I believe.

Well, sort of. They're two separate cities with the same name. The version in Missouri is larger, and serves as the anchor city of the metropolitan area.

They're not quite "on the other side of the bridge" either. In fact, there are parts where the two are adjacent by land.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Sydney Swans were originally called South Melbourne before they moved.

They were named the Blood Stained Angels for a while.

Then, in 1933 their President decided to buy a title by bringing players from interstate, offering them jobs, which in Depression Australia, was very valuable.

A newspaper writer commented "they have so many West Australians playing for them they ought to call them the Swans".

(The state bird of WA is the Swan, and the main river in Perth, the capital is the Swan River)

And the name still stands.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I think that Syracuse University has the most fitting nickname. They're the Orange, and their primary color is orange. How fitting is that?!!!

It's almost freaky.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think that Syracuse University has the most fitting nickname. They're the Orange, and their primary color is orange. How fitting is that?!!!

It's almost freaky.

Like how the Toronto Blue Jays wear blue on their uniforms?

Oh, wait... :blink:

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Orange, Cornhuskers, Cowboys... all fitting, yes, but unique, no. With tons of orange groves, many towns in Southern California or Florida could be the Orange. Likewise anywhere that grows corn or has a tie to the old west or ranches, etc. could be Cornhuskers or Cowboys.

Aside from a team being, say, the San Diego San Diegans, is there any nickname that could only be in one specific town? Does it exist?

chicago bulls

chicago bears

new england patriots

st louis blues

florida state seminols

miami heat

orlando magic

houston rockets

miami hurricanes

pittsburgh steelers

new jersey devils

tampa bay buccaneers

buffalo bills (cool name, dosnt fit the city much)

minnesota twins

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Orange, Cornhuskers, Cowboys... all fitting, yes, but unique, no. With tons of orange groves, many towns in Southern California or Florida could be the Orange. Likewise anywhere that grows corn or has a tie to the old west or ranches, etc. could be Cornhuskers or Cowboys.

Aside from a team being, say, the San Diego San Diegans, is there any nickname that could only be in one specific town? Does it exist?

I'd say that Knickerbockers is pretty much exclusive to the NYC area.

spacer.png

• Kansas City Wizards (the nickname itself is not unique, but was chosen as a reference to The Wizard Of Oz, part of which was set in Kansas)

Technically, they were the Wiz, till a lawsuit by the now defunct Nobody Beats The Wiz made them change it. Incidentally, Kansas City is in Missouri.

High Schools - Best Fit and Sound:

Speedway Sparkplugs - no one else comes close

BCS Schools - Best Fit and Sound:

California Golden Bears

Arizona State Sun Devils

Indiana Hoosiers

Oklahoma Sooners

Illinois Fighting Illini

Purdue Boilermakers

Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Notre Dame Fightin' Irish

Maryland Terrapins

North Carolina Tar Heels

Other NCAA - Best Fit and Sound:

UNLV Runnin' Rebels

Boise State Broncos

Navy Midshipmen

NBA - Best Fit and Sound

New York Knicks

Indiana Pacers

Seattle Supersonics

Portland Trailblazers

Orlando Magic

Boston Celtics

Detroit Pistons

NFL - Best Fit and Sound

San Francisco 49ers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

Seattle Seahawks

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Dallas Cowboys

MLB - Best Fit and Sound

Florida Marlins

Texas Rangers

Houston Astros

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Colorado Rockies

Baltimore Orioles

Washington Nationals

Random - Worst Fit and Sound

Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Utah Jazz

Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles Lakers

Charlotte Bobcats, now that "Bob" is gone

Worst Ever Award

IUPUI Jaguars - a school combined by two of the most original nicknames (Hoosiers and Boilermakers) comes up with Jaguars?? An animal that has never lived in Indiana and the nickname of a Colts division rival playing right down the street from Lucas Oil Stadium? What could they be?

IUPUI Racers

IUPUI Speed

IUPUI Rivals

IUPUI Boiler-Hoosiers

IUPUI Boosiers

...and as Comic Book Guy would say, "I've wasted my life..."

Technically, they were the Wiz, till a lawsuit by the now defunct Nobody Beats The Wiz made them change it. Incidentally, Kansas City is in Missouri.

Oh, come on, I just went over that. Seriously?

Alright, again... there are two municipalities in that area named Kansas City: one in Missouri and one in Kansas.

Besides, saying that KC being in MO means the name has nothing to do with The Wizard of Oz is silly.

Now, the interesting thing you brought up is the reason for the name change. I hadn't heard that one before, so I did some searching. This article seems to back up that theory.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Oh, come on, I just went over that. Seriously?

Alright, again... there are two municipalities in that area named Kansas City: one in Missouri and one in Kansas.

Besides, saying that KC being in MO means the name has nothing to do with The Wizard of Oz is silly.

Now, the interesting thing you brought up is the reason for the name change. I hadn't heard that one before, so I did some searching. This article seems to back up that theory.

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't see the whole "Kansas City is in MO" thing had already been covered till after I hit "post". Oh, I wasn't saying that the Wiz weren't named after the Wizard of Oz. It was more a shot at the Nike geniuses that came up with that reference. I hear ya about the two municipalities, but ask any American and they'll tell you they think of MO when you say Kansas City. That's really what I was poking fun at. That Nike thought a team from Missouri should be named after a movie that takes place in Kansas. And that it would be super duper cool if they shortened the name to 3 letters and incorporated Dorothy's rainbow in the logo. *sigh* Sorry, I get carried away when I think back about the logo/name disaster that Nike/MLS created. San Jose Clash? Rock the casbah? Really? Really???

chicago bulls

chicago bears

new england patriots

st louis blues

florida state seminols

miami heat

orlando magic

houston rockets

miami hurricanes

pittsburgh steelers

new jersey devils

tampa bay buccaneers

buffalo bills (cool name, dosnt fit the city much)

minnesota twins

Replying to Best, most fitting team nicknames

We need a name for the point at which a thread devolves into mindless listing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

We need a name for the point at which a thread devolves into mindless homerism listing.

Inevitability???

It's almost freaky.

The Stanford Cardinal would like to have a word with you.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived