Best, most fitting team nicknames

hawk36

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every team posts some convoluted explanation for why their name is significant to their region. This thread is destined to just be one "cut and paste" after another.

That being said, the most fitting nicknames are clearly the Utah Jazz (Utah being the hotbed of jazz music), the Los Angeles Lakers (a tribute to the many lakes in Los Angeles), the Los Angeles Dodgers (since back in the day, people had to dodge all the trolly cars in Los Angeles), and the Memphis Grizzlies (since grizzly bears terrorize downtown Memphis, and have become almost symbolic of not only the city, but the entire state.)

Curmudgeon! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

New York Islanders, considering they play in the NYC metro area on Long Island

I was thinking about some college teams that fit nicely. A lot of schools on the east coast use the "Colonials" nickname and it works because of the original 13 colonies. UPenn with the Quakers also works if you look into the history of Pennsylvania and everything. Lastly for now, Hofstra used to be the Flying Dutchmen (unofficially I believe) until they used the "Pride" nickname, which makes sense because Nassau County used to be a Dutch colony. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Rutgers didn't adopt a Dutch moniker.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

While I wouldn't consider it necessarily the best example of a uniqe nickname, I'd say this one is pretty close to the top. It comes from the NCAA world.

The Purdue Boilermakers.

It makes perfect sense to me, seeing as to how Indiana is/was often referred to as the "Crossroads of America", and well, we all know rail travel was the big thing back in the day. Well, in order for these trains to go, someone had to build the engines. And it just so happens that most train engines (shoot, engines period) were steam engines in those days. And we all know how steam is made...boiling water. Enter the boilermakers--which, by the way, is a trade I think still exists today.

(I know there's a better story/history that goes along with this, but I don't feel like looking it up; instead, I'll go off what I can remember. I'm sure someone in here can produce the full story.)

Weird a name as it is, I've always thought that to be among the most unique nicknames in all of sports. And, like I described up above, it certainly fits.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That being said, the most fitting nicknames are clearly... the Los Angeles Lakers (a tribute to the many lakes in Los Angeles)

Such as Debs Lake, Echo Park Lake, Hollenbeck Lake, Lake Balboa, Lincoln Park Lake, MacArthur Park Lake, Ken Malloy Harbor Park Lake and Reseda Park Lake. And those are just in the City of Los Angeles. In Los Angeles County you'll find Baldwin Lake, Bouton Lake, Caldwell Lake, Castaic Lake, Crystal Lake, Elderberry Lake, Elizabeth Lake, Hansen Lake, Harbor Lake, Hidden Lake, Holiday Lake, Hughes Lake, Jackson Lake, Lake Enchanto, Lake Lindero, Lake Palmdale, Lees Lake, Legg Lake, Lower Van Norman Lake, Upper Van Norman Lake, Malibu Lake, McGee Lake, Middle Lake, Monteria Lake, Munz Lake, Pyramid Lake, Quail Lake, Redwing Lake, Santa Ynez Lake, Toluca Lake, Tweedy Lake, Una Lake and Westlake Lake.

... the Los Angeles Dodgers (since back in the day, people had to dodge all the trolly cars in Los Angeles)

Those were the days! It was before the era of the freeways and Los Angelenos falling in love with their automobiles. Back then a vast network of rail lines and electric streetcars connected points in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. Such achievements in mass transportation: the first Los Angeles streetcar system was established in 1874... Los Angeles Consolidated Electric Railway was formed in the 1890s... Pacific Electric Railway came into being in 1901. Whether one of the Los Angeles Railway's "Yellow Cars" or part of the Pacific Railway's "Red Car" system, streetcars were ubiquitous throughout Greater Los Angeles! The Old Mission line ran from Los Angeles to the San Gabriel Mission, Pasadena, Busch Gardens and back to LA. The Balloon Route ran from Downtown Los Angeles through Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Redondo Beach and back to LA through Culver City. The Triangle Trolley ran south from Los Angeles to San Pedro, Long Beach and Balboa, then east to Santa Ana and back north to LA. Why, at its peak the Pacific Electric Railway had 900 cars running through four counties on over 1,100 miles of track! Pedestrians beware!!!

:P

While I wouldn't consider it necessarily the best example of a uniqe nickname, I'd say this one is pretty close to the top. It comes from the NCAA world.

The Purdue Boilermakers.

It makes perfect sense to me, seeing as to how Indiana is/was often referred to as the "Crossroads of America", and well, we all know rail travel was the big thing back in the day. Well, in order for these trains to go, someone had to build the engines. And it just so happens that most train engines (shoot, engines period) were steam engines in those days. And we all know how steam is made...boiling water. Enter the boilermakers--which, by the way, is a trade I think still exists today.

(I know there's a better story/history that goes along with this, but I don't feel like looking it up; instead, I'll go off what I can remember. I'm sure someone in here can produce the full story.)

Weird a name as it is, I've always thought that to be among the most unique nicknames in all of sports. And, like I described up above, it certainly fits.

And with Purdue being a huge engineering school, that could have something to do with it...

6fQjS3M.png

The Purdue Boilermakers.

And with Purdue being a huge engineering school, that could have something to do with it...

Which further feeds into what I was saying. See, I ain't even know that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That being said, the most fitting nicknames are clearly... the Los Angeles Lakers (a tribute to the many lakes in Los Angeles)

Such as Debs Lake, Echo Park Lake, Hollenbeck Lake, Lake Balboa, Lincoln Park Lake, MacArthur Park Lake, Ken Malloy Harbor Park Lake and Reseda Park Lake. And those are just in the City of Los Angeles. In Los Angeles County you'll find Baldwin Lake, Bouton Lake, Caldwell Lake, Castaic Lake, Crystal Lake, Elderberry Lake, Elizabeth Lake, Hansen Lake, Harbor Lake, Hidden Lake, Holiday Lake, Hughes Lake, Jackson Lake, Lake Enchanto, Lake Lindero, Lake Palmdale, Lees Lake, Legg Lake, Lower Van Norman Lake, Upper Van Norman Lake, Malibu Lake, McGee Lake, Middle Lake, Monteria Lake, Munz Lake, Pyramid Lake, Quail Lake, Redwing Lake, Santa Ynez Lake, Toluca Lake, Tweedy Lake, Una Lake and Westlake Lake.

... the Los Angeles Dodgers (since back in the day, people had to dodge all the trolly cars in Los Angeles)

Those were the days! It was before the era of the freeways and Los Angelenos falling in love with their automobiles. Back then a vast network of rail lines and electric streetcars connected points in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. Such achievements in mass transportation: the first Los Angeles streetcar system was established in 1874... Los Angeles Consolidated Electric Railway was formed in the 1890s... Pacific Electric Railway came into being in 1901. Whether one of the Los Angeles Railway's "Yellow Cars" or part of the Pacific Railway's "Red Car" system, streetcars were ubiquitous throughout Greater Los Angeles! The Old Mission line ran from Los Angeles to the San Gabriel Mission, Pasadena, Busch Gardens and back to LA. The Balloon Route ran from Downtown Los Angeles through Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Redondo Beach and back to LA through Culver City. The Triangle Trolley ran south from Los Angeles to San Pedro, Long Beach and Balboa, then east to Santa Ana and back north to LA. Why, at its peak the Pacific Electric Railway had 900 cars running through four counties on over 1,100 miles of track! Pedestrians beware!!!

:P

Well played, sir. But, you did forget Machado Lake, home of Reggie the Alligator for many months, and who Steve Irwin would have gone after had he not met his maker.

And, strangely, Malibu Lake is really spelled Malibou lake. Don't know why the heck that's the case.

VmWIn6B.png

Many good ones but what is THE best. A name that could not exist anywhere else except for the city it exits in? Seattle Sounders are great but there are Sounds (type of body of water) in many places. Is there any that do, and only could, exist in THE one place?

Philadelphia Phillies?

FWIW, the New York Yankees used to be called the NY Highlanders, a nod to Hilltop Park, their original home. Coincedentially, Hilltop Park rested upon the highest (and northernmost) part of Manhattan.

Also, the New York Mets...Mets being short for Metropolitans, of course.

The New York Jets, who originally played at Shea Stadium, which was located under a major flight path going into LaGuardia Airport.

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

Many good ones but what is THE best. A name that could not exist anywhere else except for the city it exits in? Seattle Sounders are great but there are Sounds (type of body of water) in many places. Is there any that do, and only could, exist in THE one place?

Philadelphia Phillies?

This is a stretch, but if you changed the spelling to "Fillies", then it could work in Louisville, Baltimore, and Elmont, as it'd represent the horse racing industry. But I'm not sure why you'd want a team named after female horses.

I know that they started in Fort Wayne, but Detroit Pistons sounds like a perfect match. Granted, it's lost it's meaning over the past few years, but try putting "Pistons" with another city, and it really makes no sense what-so-ever.

Winnipeg Jets: We're named after the WHL team in honor of the city's booming transportation industry

The WHL team might have used that excuse, but the WHA and NHL Jets were named as such because they originally got a sweet deal on the uniforms and equipment from the junior team.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Houston Texans because Houston is full of... ya know on a certain level, I still hate the name. If the logo they reveled hadn't been so instantly likable, I'd probably be going through the misery of being a Saints fan.

New England Patriots

Boston Celtics

New England Revolution

New York Yankees

Houston Rockets

Houston Texans

Minnesota Timberwolves

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Maine Red Claws

Washington Nationals

Philadelphia 76ers

Milwaukee Bucks

Phoenix Suns

and many more

Every team posts some convoluted explanation for why their name is significant to their region. This thread is destined to just be one "cut and paste" after another.

That being said, the most fitting nicknames are clearly the Utah Jazz (Utah being the hotbed of jazz music), the Los Angeles Lakers (a tribute to the many lakes in Los Angeles), the Los Angeles Dodgers (since back in the day, people had to dodge all the trolly cars in Los Angeles), and the Memphis Grizzlies (since grizzly bears terrorize downtown Memphis, and have become almost symbolic of not only the city, but the entire state.)

The Jazz started out in New Orleans (jazz is a hotbed in New Orleans), The LA Lakers started out in Minneapolis/St. Paul (Minnesota is called Land of 10,000 Lakes) The Dodgers moved from Brooklyn to LA and were originally knowed as the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers (for the people who had to dodge trolleys in Brooklyn), but just before they moved to LA, Trolley was dropped and they were called the Dodgers.

No effin way.

tongue.gif

You're no fun :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here are several more:
  • [
  • Kansas City Wizards (the nickname itself is not unique, but was chosen as a reference to The Wizard Of Oz, part of which was set in Kansas)

Except, of course, that Kansas City is in Missouri.

The Houston Astro(nauts) is a nice, inspirational one. Their prior name worked too.

And, of course, New York Red Bull, if there's one region that guzzles that swill like no other it's New York/New Jerz.

Archived