Bills White Throwbacks

SizzlinSabres

While I don't mind their current homes, I think we can all agree that their current road unis are probably the worst in football. I just wish they would go full time to their retros. Here is a new pic of the road jerseys, which I believe will be worn at the HOF game against the Titans.

whitethrowback1.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are those peculiar things hanging off the sides of the jersey? They appear to be made of fabric and would obscure one's view of the player's upper arm.

Odd.

Wasn't there another thread about these where someone pointed out that the Bills never actually wore a jersey with those stripes?

Yes, there is an entire thread already devoted to this topic:

Buffalo News: Expect White Bills Throwbacks

The long and the short of it is this: The Bills NEVER had a sleeve striping pattern like this. The other thread also shows pants with an incorrect striping pattern which they apparently plan to pair with these jerseys with an incorrect striping pattern. It's Buffalo, after all, so they're striving for consistency...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Wasn't there another thread about these where someone pointed out that the Bills never actually wore a jersey with those stripes?

The long and the short of it is this: The Bills NEVER had a sleeve striping pattern like this. The other thread also shows pants with an incorrect striping pattern which they apparently plan to pair with these jerseys with an incorrect striping pattern. It's Buffalo, after all, so they're striving for consistency...

The Bills did wear this striping pattern. Here's a picture of Cookie Gilchrist from 1964. The picture from the other thread appears to be a black & white photo that was re-colored, possibly incorrectly.

GilchristAway1964.jpg

The Bills did wear this striping pattern. Here's a picture of Cookie Gilchrist from 1964. The picture from the other thread appears to be a black & white photo that was re-colored, possibly incorrectly.

The Bills did NOT wear this pattern - they wore something close. It's ridiculous that an organization with the resources of the NFL can't get this stuff right. The Bills throwback is close but not accurate, and the same with the Chargers (the shade of blue). What possible explanation can there be for this? (On a lighter note, it's funny how the buffalo seems to be standing on Cookie's earhole. And look at the guy on the ground, it's a sharp angle but that just looks like a red blob on his helmet. Looks more like the Pats' old tri-cornered hat than the buffalo)

whitethrowback1.pngGilchristAway1964.jpg

Chargers' "1963 jerseys"

nfl_e_fisher-group_480.jpg

Chargers' 1963 jerseys (from their own website!)

12393.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

they just needed to thin out the red stripes and they would have had it!

. . . and make the red outline on the numbers thinner.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It's nice, but in a time where players are making their sleeves shorter and shorter, part of me thinks you'll only be able to really see the top two stripes, if any.

Which kinda makes this a really boring uniform, IMO. It's inevitable that the sleeves will be cut-off or unseen during game action, meaning this is basically a white jersey with blue numbers outlined in red.

Just occurred to me that the Owens jersey is likely a replica. We'll have to see if the striping is correct on the game jerseys. The Chargers' blue is just plain incorrect, no two ways about it. The shame is that their unis are much better looking with the Pacific Blue than the Powder Blue IMO.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Definitely take a look at the original thread.

It's all covered. Another photo, too, worn by a player for a photo shoot. Doesn't help.

I'll add this: It may seem minor, but having the red stripe the same size as the blue and, more importantly, the white stripe they surround makes all the difference in how your eye reads that pattern. At least it does for me.

The Bills did NOT wear this pattern - they wore something close. It's ridiculous that an organization with the resources of the NFL can't get this stuff right. The Bills throwback is close but not accurate, and the same with the Chargers (the shade of blue). What possible explanation can there be for this?

I think it's a fair statement to say that the people likely to care most about the authenticity of modern-day throwbacks populate this message board. The NFL is doing this to honor the AFL with the intent presenting a representative facsimile of that period's uniforms. The degree of authenticity is probably the least of their concerns.

That's not to say I wouldn't appreciate more details, I just think it's ridiculous to assume the NFL would care as much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived