2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this on SI's website...

In another, 11th-hour BCS development, sources tell me the Fiesta Bowl committee took an unexpected turn in it deliberations this week and is now leaning heavily toward a matchup of the two undefeated mid-majors, TCU and Boise State. That would leave the Orange Bowl free to select Iowa or Penn State and send Cincinnati to the Sugar Bowl to face Florida.

That would make everyone happy right?

BB52Big.jpg

In another, 11th-hour BCS development, sources tell me the Fiesta Bowl committee took an unexpected turn in it deliberations this week and is now leaning heavily toward a matchup of the two undefeated mid-majors, TCU and Boise State. That would leave the Orange Bowl free to select Iowa or Penn State and send Cincinnati to the Sugar Bowl to face Florida.

I would be very happy with that. Florida-Cincy would be an epic game and so would the Fiesta Bowl. I see Boise-TCU putting butts in couches for sure and even if the fan bases don't travel well, I think many interested people would buy tickets to the game.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I would be very happy with that. Florida-Cincy would be an epic game and so would the Fiesta Bowl. I see Boise-TCU putting butts in couches for sure and even if the fan bases don't travel well, I think many interested people would buy tickets to the game.

Oh my gosh I love your Avatar!!! haha

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Meh....I'd rather pit TCU against Florida out of sheer curiousity. Boise State can take the Big Ten runner up, and the Orange can get Cincy again.

That gives us the potential for 4 undefeated teams when the smoke clears, as well as giving the midmajors some rather impressive platforms on which to "prove" themselves.

Of course, I also am one of those that tends to get hacked off at the NCAA's unfortunate recent habit in the basketball tournament of pitting good midmajor teams against each other in the first round. I'd rather not see this habit spread to the football field.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Boise-TCU would be a cool match up but is problematic in that regardless of who wins there will be people who do not feel the win is valid due to their inherent prejudices against mid-majors.

One of them will win and complete an undefeated season but there will still be many who simply see it as one mid-major beating another.

That was why Utah-Alabama was so great last year. They pretty much dominated a team that was ranked #1 in the country for a good portion of the year, in what was essentially a home game for Bama. Personally I still consider Utah to be last years national champions, because they were the only team that won every game they played. Isn't that what is supposed to determine a championship?

This year we face a potential four teams finishing undefeated. And the fact that Boise State getting passed over by a three loss team is a real possibility is such a perfect example of how twisted college football has become-- men in suits using these athletes as their playthings, manipulating them to make the most money possible, without any concern for the integrity of the sport.

I love college football, but it pains me so much that it is completely controlled by soulless bureaucrats.

This is how it will shake down

Nat'l Champ: Alabama vs. Texas

Rose: Oregon vs. Ohio State

Fiesta: TCU vs. Boise State

Orange: Georgia Tech vs. Iowa

Sugar: Florida vs. Cincinnati

I don't think any school can complain, Iowa beat Penn State so why should they get in and Virginia Tech didn't come close to even competing for a conference title I would take Oregon State ahead of them.

It should be a rule if you don't finish in the top two of the major conferences you shouldn't even have an opportunity to play in a BCS bowl game.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Meh....I'd rather pit TCU against Florida out of sheer curiousity. Boise State can take the Big Ten runner up, and the Orange can get Cincy again.

That gives us the potential for 4 undefeated teams when the smoke clears, as well as giving the midmajors some rather impressive platforms on which to "prove" themselves.

Of course, I also am one of those that tends to get hacked off at the NCAA's unfortunate recent habit in the basketball tournament of pitting good midmajor teams against each other in the first round. I'd rather not see this habit spread to the football field.

My point was that both teams were getting a BCS bid. I wasn't thinking about the match up. I'd rather see TCU play Alabama.

BB52Big.jpg

I'd be very disappointed if the BCS put TCU and Boise State in the same game for a couple of reasons. First, neither of the two would get to play a BCS conference opponent, which is one of the main attractions of the BCS Buster aspect and second, this will be a rematch of the bowl game from a year ago with much of the same players playing in the game. So again, even though it could turn out to be a good game, the one last year wasn't bad, I would seriously be disappointed if TCU and Boise State are pitted against one another.

Other than that, I am very excited for the Oregon vs. Ohio State matchup. Not neccesarily because I think it would be a good game, but mainly because I just love watching Oregon's offense when they are hitting on all cylinders.

JoseART

My point was that both teams were getting a BCS bid. I wasn't thinking about the match up. I'd rather see TCU play Alabama.

I think Boise State would be getting an at large with or without the midmajor death match. Taking a 3 loss Virginia Tech team, whose Wins of Most Note are Miami and Nebraska over the Broncos is just asking for Congress, which is looking for non-controversial things to tackle this year, to get itself involved.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think Boise State would be getting an at large with or without the midmajor death match. Taking a 3 loss Virginia Tech team, whose Wins of Most Note are Miami and Nebraska over the Broncos is just asking for Congress, which is looking for non-controversial things to tackle this year, to get itself involved.

That's what I've been saying all along. The BCS is getting way too much heat to screw anyone. They know it and I believe it's why we're seeing rumors of a TCU - Boise State Fiesta Bowl. TCU and Boise are both getting bids. The BCS has no choice.

BB52Big.jpg

I asked this question yesterday: If these schools and/or conferences have this contract with the BCS and it's procedures and selections, what can Congress really do? Boise State is well aware that they aren't a particularly attractive draw, as far as travel is concerned.

For these bowls, it's about business/economics over the matchup itself.

Sure, Boise State beat Oregon...who else of note?

It shouldn't be shocking if Boise State doesn't get selected. And I don't think a TCU-Boise State game is what either team wants. The main thing about playing in a BCS game is seeing how you match up against one of the "big boys"...playing two mid-majors against each other doesn't accomplish that.

Many of these schools get governmental funds and grants. Congress can cut those. Alternatively, Congress could pull the "Anti-trust" card and go after the NCAA that way.

Today, we are all otaku.

I asked this question yesterday: If these schools and/or conferences have this contract with the BCS and it's procedures and selections, what can Congress really do? Boise State is well aware that they aren't a particularly attractive draw, as far as travel is concerned.

Well there are several things first are anti-trust issues. One can argue that the Big 6 conferences in creating the BCS acted as an illegal cartel to severely block competition from the other conferences and basically prevent them taking place not only in BCS games, but also the "national championship" game thus preventing them to possibly receive the financial awards (both prize money and money that comes from extra recognition).

In addition because many of these schools are public university ultimately the government power of the purse. Congress could threaten to withhold an amount of federal funding to states that have schools in their systems that are apart of the BCS conferences. That puts the heat on those states, which in turn puts heat on those schools because those funds withheld would be passed on to the schools in the form of budget cuts. I've seen funding for schools threaten for a lot less and the schools react.

I don't want any part of TCU vs. Boise State, as Hedley said, the whole point is seeing how the little brothers match up with the big boys. What made Boise/Oklahoma or Utah/Alabama so great was that it was like David vs. Goliath. Plus, what did the Fiesta Bowl do to deserve that fate? Why punish them by having two teams that don't travel well?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well there are several things first are anti-trust issues. One can argue that the Big 6 conferences in creating the BCS acted as an illegal cartel to severely block competition from the other conferences and basically prevent them taking place not only in BCS games, but also the "national championship" game thus preventing them to possibly receive the financial awards (both prize money and money that comes from extra recognition).

In addition because many of these schools are public university ultimately the government power of the purse. Congress could threaten to withhold an amount of federal funding to states that have schools in their systems that are apart of the BCS conferences. That puts the heat on those states, which in turn puts heat on those schools because those funds withheld would be passed on to the schools in the form of budget cuts. I've seen funding for schools threaten for a lot less and the schools react.

But here's the thing....there's no actual National Champion in FBS solely decided by the BCS. The National Championship is still decided by polls. The AP still has their post-bowl poll that determines their national champion. The Coaches Poll still has a post-bowl poll that decides their champion....only that they're contractually obligated (as to their agreement with the BCS) to vote the winner of the BCS National Championship Game as #1 in the final poll. This is how LSU and USC got a split national championship a few years ago.

Before the Bowl Alliance and BCS came along, teams outside of the Big 6 conferences (and Notre Dame) had absolutely no shot of playing in the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, & Orange Bowls, and furthermore, no chance of playing for a national championship. Also, every bowl game was setup according to their agreements and affiliations with individual conferences/schools. Fans of these smaller schools and conferences raised enough of an uproar to create a system to where it wasn't just voters deciding the rankings and bowl placements.

With the institution of the BCS, it combined the biased human polls with the less-biased computer polls that treat every team as individuals. This opened the door for the teams in smaller conferences to play in more prestige games, and also gave them more respect for the human pollsters.

Here's why I believe Congress won't get involved if Boise doesn't get taken: You can't use the anti-trust argument. No matter how you cut it, Boise State is nothing more than a 13-0 at-large team. The BCS isn't excluding the non-BCS conferences completely. TCU earned the automatic qualifying spot for the non-BCS conferences. As per the agreement between the FBS conferences/schools and the BCS and the BCS bowls, these BCS bowls are free to select any at-large team that's BCS-qualified, as long as those that have earned the automatic qualifiers are placed in a BCS bowl. If a team in the top-14 is available to be taken, and all the automatic qualifiers are still able to be placed in a bowl, the BCS bowls are free to take any team they so choose.

Now if, say, the Fiesta Bowl takes Oklahoma (a team that's obviously not qualified this year) over Boise State, then they can claim anti-trust all they want. But if the Fiesta wants to take Virginia Tech (a team that figures to be BCS qualified), and all qualified teams have spots taken, then this is well within the rights of the Fiesta Bowl.

In short, the BCS opened the door for the small schools to play in the top-tier bowls that they never had before. To claim that an at-large team not getting selected in favor of another at-large team that's also qualified is a clear sign of "anti-trust" is, in a word: stupid.

I can't wait until the BCS Coverage on Fox is over and done with next season, why wait to find out the National Championship which we all know will feature Texas even if they needed horseshoes up there :censored: to beat A&M and Nebraska.

Very thankful that the National Championship will be on ABC.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived