2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Im disapointed. He has done wonders for Cincinnati, now everyone here feels that they've been stabbed in the back. Oh well, its his choice to let his coaching carrer go down the drain at Notre Dame.

It's amazing how quickly people turned on Coach Kelly. He never (no that I can recall) came out publicly and said he was going to stay or leave, unlike that demon of a predecessor he had (my least favorite coach in college football Mark Dantonio). While I don't wish Kelly success at Notre Dame, it has nothing to do with him, it's more of a "lesson" I hope future UC coaches can learn that UC is a place they can stay.

But I don't get why Notre Dame gets literally hours of coverage on ESPN for their coaching search. Cincinnati's next head coach announcement will guranteed get less than 10 minutes.

Because it's Notre Dame. They command respect from the media because of the history of the program and their status as the lone wolf of the BCS schools. Why do you think they have the multi-billion dollar TV deal with NBC for their home games? Why do you they're an Independent in football while everything else is in the Big East?

Because it's Notre Dame. They don't ask for respect... They command it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just really feel for the kids on Cincinnati-- they just completed a 12-0 season, are playing the freakin' Florida Gators in the Sugar Bowl, and are one second more of Colt McCoy absentmindedness from playing in the National Championship, and their coach completely bails on them.

Now, if Kelly is as good of a coach as he seemed to be at Cincy, he should do fairly well with a much more talented team at Notre Dame. But I lost quite a bit of respect for him.

Anyone know if he is coaching in the Sugar Bowl?

Obviously, Kelly's a bum. Since he's left Grand Valley State, his "replacement" has gone 74-6, and is poised to win his third national championship. Plus, Grand Valley State actually plays in a conference, something that Notre Dame clearly cannot match.

I don't know why anyone would want to leave a Big East school for Notre Dame. Who could possibly want or need more money? These college coaches are lucky to be paid minimum wage. Anything they make above that should be donated back to the university's general scholarship fund anyway. Who wants a higher profile job? Clearly, Kelly should be happy to toil at a second rate football school in a second rate football conference (sorry Dilbert and fnz). Honestly, because he signed a contract to coach Cincinnati that he didn't honor, he shouldn't even be allowed to coach Notre Dame or anywhere else.

Okay...enough of that willmorrisian bullsh**, my head hurts. I'm just going to agree with 'Red.

I do have one question, why is that fans say these coaches "stabbed [us] in the back" anyway? Seriously, that is one of the silliest things I've heard. He didn't kill your dog, steal your wife, fire you, or take your house. He went from one job to another. Did you consider yourself to have stabbed your last employer in the back when you left?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I just really feel for the kids on Cincinnati-- they just completed a 12-0 season, are playing the freakin' Florida Gators in the Sugar Bowl, and are one second more of Colt McCoy absentmindedness from playing in the National Championship, and their coach completely bails on them.

Now, if Kelly is as good of a coach as he seemed to be at Cincy, he should do fairly well with a much more talented team at Notre Dame. But I lost quite a bit of respect for him.

Your point is well taken but let's not forget the reality of coaching at schools like Cincinnati. The idea is that you go there, do well, and move up. It's just the way the business works. Urban Meyer did the same thing to Utah, Rich Rodriguez did it at West Virginia, etc. It doesn't make how Kelly handled it right but it happens so often now that it's just accepted. It's always lousy when a coach pulls a stunt like this before the season is actually over.

If the AD at Cincinnati had any balls at all he'd pull a Bo Schembechler and tell Kelly "You're Notre Dame's coach now. Hit the road."

BB52Big.jpg

I've heard Offensive Coordinator Jeff Quinn will coach the Bearcats in New Orleans (and I'll be there!). But Quinn has been a member of Kelly's staff for like 16 years or something like that, so he could be gone as well. I'm hoping Turner Gill, Kevin Sumlin, and UC Defensive Backs Coach, Associate Head Coach and Cincinnati-area recruiting extraordinaire Kerry Coombs are the top candidates (in the order of Sumlin, Coombs, then Gill).

Unfortunately, he's not coaching the Sugar Bowl, or Cincy next year, where he belongs.

LvZYtbZ.png

Your point is well taken but let's not forget the reality of coaching at schools like Cincinnati. The idea is that you go there, do well, and move up. It's just the way the business works. Urban Meyer did the same thing to Utah, Rich Rodriguez did it at West Virginia, etc. It doesn't make how Kelly handled it right but it happens so often now that it's just accepted. It's always lousy when a coach pulls a stunt like this before the season is actually over.

If the AD at Cincinnati had any balls at all he'd pull a Bo Schembechler and tell Kelly "You're Notre Dame's coach now. Hit the road."

wow, I have seen it all an Ohio State person agreeing with ol' Bo

Watching the Final Score right now on FSN...WOW, the UC players have pretty much accepted it and are moving on. One guy basically said, "We were the ones out there on the field making the plays, he was just doing the signals." & Mardy Gilyard said, "I hope he gets to South Bend pretty quickly so that we can focus on beating Florida and winning this Sugar Bowl for the city of Cincinnati, with or without Kelly."

I highly doubt Kelly's gonna stick around for the Sugar Bowl.

wow, I have seen it all an Ohio State person agreeing with ol' Bo

Honestly, I think the point is that as NCAA coaching is the most unstable level of coaching which we have, seeing/hearing players calling total betrayal on a coach leaving is as if they have never been lied to ever in this lives. The are showing a bit too much entitlement to have live as perfect as possible each year.

Mardy Gilyard was just on Tony Bruno, and even as a Senior who is leaving he said that he did not want Kelly to coach them. In fact, he told Bruno that he left the team meeting before it was over. "I didn't want to hear it," he said. "I'm fairly disgusted with the situation -- him letting it last this long. ... Everybody and their mamma knew what was going on. I feel like he did our team an injustice. Hopefully he'll pack his things up and get to South Bend in a hurry."

The fact that Cincinnati is not playing for a National Title is why he's leaving. The Bearcats should be facing Alabama for all of the marbles regardless of how badly McCoy was channelling Les Miles on Saturday. They aren't, simply because Texas started above them in the polls, which is itself a function of Texas' much greater prestige than the Bearcats. Cincy did everything right, and they still get shut out.

Notre Dame would never face that problem, simply because of who they are. If Kelly did what he did in Cincinnati in South Bend, he'd be coaching in the national title game. His departure is merely him reacting to the system of college football.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know a lot of us here in Cincy are pretty peeved at him for leaving and are blowing everything out of proportion but the man flat out lied. He even told his players last week that he was staying. You coach your team to the best season in the schools history and you leave them high and dry right before the biggest game in the schools history? Not cool. Yes the players may have moved on so they can focus on the game, but we as the fans, this is a grudge that will last forever. To be honest, I still have a grudge against Dantonio when he left.

Signature intentionally left blank

The fact that Cincinnati is not playing for a National Title is why he's leaving. The Bearcats should be facing Alabama for all of the marbles regardless of how badly McCoy was channelling Les Miles on Saturday. They aren't, simply because Texas started above them in the polls, which is itself a function of Texas' much greater prestige than the Bearcats. Cincy did everything right, and they still get shut out.

Notre Dame would never face that problem, simply because of who they are. If Kelly did what he did in Cincinnati in South Bend, he'd be coaching in the national title game. His departure is merely him reacting to the system of college football.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Texas both started ahead of Notre Dame in the polls, and played a tougher schedule. I mean, Texas doesn't play patsies like Navy.

LvZYtbZ.png

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Texas both started ahead of Notre Dame in the polls, and played a tougher schedule. I mean, Texas doesn't play patsies like Navy.

If Notre Dame was coming off a trip to a BCS Bowl like Cincy, does any sane, rational individual think that would still be the case?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Damn straight. Texas plays powerhouses like Louisiana-Monroe and UTEP.

Don't forget Wyoming and Central Florida.

Today, we are all otaku.

Damn straight. Texas plays powerhouses like Louisiana-Monroe and UTEP.

Don't forget Wyoming and Central Florida.

I left them out because they, like Navy, are bowl eligible. So I suppose an argument could be made that they are ahem... tough opponents for Texas. It would be a laughable argument and WillMorris is the only person who would make that argument but I decided to leave them out anyway.

BB52Big.jpg

Notre Dame would have been left out of the national title, just like Cincy was. They wouldn't have been able to pass Texas.

If Notre Dame had gone 12-0 nothing short of world ending armageddon would have kept them out of the title game. The media would have driven them to the game themselves if that was what it took to get them there.

BB52Big.jpg

As a Pitt fan I am sorta mad he left aswell. I think that Pitt and Cincy could become a pretty good rivalry but with Kelly leaving who knows how Cincy will be with their new head coach. I know this all happened recently but is their any coaches linked to Cincy yet from any credible sources?

I understand Kelly couldn't come out and say when Weis was fired that he would take the job and all that but maybe he could have let his players know what he was probally going to be doing. He wasn't as bad as Saban or Petrino but you could tell by some of the players comments that it wasn't discussed a whole lot.

On a side note I wanted Urban Meyer to go to ND just because I like alot of offseason moves which is a little odd because I am happy that Randy Edsall didn't get the job so maybe he can become maybe just maybe a Bowden/Paterno type at UCONN......which brings me to a question for anyone that wouldn't mind answering....people that are mad at Kelly, would you guys be mad at Edsall too if he left his team after this years murder and all. Alot of people may have said he left his team hanging emotionally and all that. Its a little far fetched but I was just wondering.

Another side note....it seems as though Butch Davis is pretty secure in NC but how about Tom O'Brien at NC State? I just think that if NC State would become avalible before a nice NFL job that Bill Cowher would jump on that quick and more than likely instantly make NC State a school that could become one of the top schools....who knows with some crossover coaches not working out but I think Cowher would do great in NCAA.

Now that we have the one for the thumb, the other hand looks lonely........GO STEELERS

Another side note....it seems as though Butch Davis is pretty secure in NC but how about Tom O'Brien at NC State? I just think that if NC State would become avalible before a nice NFL job that Bill Cowher would jump on that quick and more than likely instantly make NC State a school that could become one of the top schools....who knows with some crossover coaches not working out but I think Cowher would do great in NCAA.

It's a cool idea to be sure but Bill Cowher's name pops up every time there's an opening in The NFL. He has his pick of where he'd like to go in The NFL. On the remote chance that he would even consider a college gig, why on Earth would he take a job at NC State of all places? I know he lives in North Carolina and all but NC State? I'd love to see it but it'll never happen

I've been saying it since the day he left and I'll say it again until he makes an ass out of me... Bill Cowher is not coming back.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived