Iowa football ditches script

BigDmo

Huh I wasn't aware that Hayden Fry actually gained permission from the Steelers to use this design and when I see Iowa football I see the black with the gold stripes and that's what makes them still in my mind one of the best sets in college football.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

How anyone can feel that sleeve stripes are still appropriate for football uniforms is beyond me. There is simply no rational reasoning that can be used to justify their inclusion on this particular uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How anyone can feel that sleeve stripes are still appropriate for football uniforms is beyond me. There is simply no rational reasoning that can be used to justify their inclusion on this particular uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They need a major overhaul to separate themselves from the Steelers.

Agreed. Not that the Steelers look all that fresh to begin with, but it defines who they are. And up to this point, with the six rings and legacy they've made for themselves, that uniform shoud be exclusive to Pisstburgh. I guess, if anything, at least Iowa slaps a Hawkeye sticker on both sides their helmet.

6uXNWAo.png

Minor change for their uni's this year

3800177529_808515eb40_o.png

I kind of liked the Iowa better but these just look the same so no real upgrade/downgrade

I think the collar logo could've done without the white outline.

I, for one, think a team with the name "Hawkeyes" could actually use a modern, original design.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I kind of liked the Iowa better but these just look the same so no real upgrade/downgrade

I, for one, think a team with the name "Hawkeyes" could actually use a modern, original design.

Not without updating their logo first

93098172_0bc1b310ce.jpg

You're damn right they could.

And agreed with BBTV on the "stripes" on these. They're as wide as they are tall at this point. Let 'em go, and come up with something that actually fits the uniform. Preferably something that doesn't involve just changing the shade of gold on the Missouri unis and calling it a day.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd prefer nothing on the collar, but this is fine I guess. Based on Hawkeye fans' responses to the new logo and those crazy feather uniforms, I doubt people would be too happy about a major change. The new cut of uniforms makes the stripes look pretty bad, but I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon...

Yes the stripes look bad.

But they still made the Steelers uniform look better than the Steelers do.

They made the sleeve stripes look a bit better than this monstrosity...

Max_Starks.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

93098172_0bc1b310ce.jpg

You're damn right they could.

And agreed with BBTV on the "stripes" on these. They're as wide as they are tall at this point. Let 'em go, and come up with something that actually fits the uniform. Preferably something that doesn't involve just changing the shade of gold on the Missouri unis and calling it a day.

Those uniforms were about 7 years ahead of their time

TimMSU.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Since when does rational thought go into designing football uniforms?

oregon_ducks_uniforms.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I agree. White outlining yellow just doesn't work, especially on something so small. And if they don't need it on the helmet -- or basketball jerseys' collar -- why in the world did they add it there? I prefer what they had before, but agree they need a non-Apex modernization.

However, I like the effect of yellow outlining white. These jerseys are my personal favorites, although they screwed up the tigerhawk in exactly the same way. They modernized the Steelers look into their own version that says Iowa (literally):

sshaw5.jpg

Dwight.jpg

iadf6.jpg

I think the white jerseys distribute the colors better.

Agreed. Those uniforms from mid-late 90s, just after the Apex 1 monstrosities, were their best look. I am all for tradition, but I wouldn't mind seeing a change to something along those lines.

I doubt if they'll be changing for a while. Kirk Ferentz is big on tradition. He changed the uniforms back to the Steelers look after he took over as head coach and he just signed a seven year extension to keep him at Iowa until 2015. Of course that doesn't mean he'll stick around that long, but as long as he's there, they uniforms won't be changing much.

Archived