2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple quick thoughts -

1) The logo is a huge upgrade. Huge. I only wish that the Yankees would do something like that with their "Bat in the Hat" logo.

2) The sleeveless version has a smaller wordmark - real, or just in the PDF?

3) Do they really need three alternates? Blue, pinstriped sleeveless, retro? Come on.

Couple quick thoughts -

1) The logo is a huge upgrade. Huge. I only wish that the Yankees would do something like that with their "Bat in the Hat" logo.

2) The sleeveless version has a smaller wordmark - real, or just in the PDF?

3) Do they really need three alternates? Blue, pinstriped sleeveless, retro? Come on.

Blue will probably be used on the road a lot, as the twins script blue was used on the road this year.

Liriano is crazy about the sleeveless when he pitches, but really, it looks like crap, i think it should be scratched.

Retro is the Sunday Alternate

256dy87.jpg

Three jerseys, three completely different scripts. Just horrible.

For one thing, the road script should be red, not navy. For another thing, THE SCRIPT SHOULD AT LEAST RESEMBLE THEIR HOME JERSEY / PRIMARY LOGO / WORDMARK!!!

It's one thing when you have a custom script at home, and then a "generic" block text on the road. That's fine - it's kind of an old timey baseball thing, and having block text on the road actually complements the custom script on the homes, in a way (I'd rather have custom script on both though.)

But this? The scripts are so close that they clash. It adds a certain ambiguity to the identity, which is not a good thing. Plus, it's too close to the throwback script, making it even worse. All three of these uniforms are OK on their own, but as a set, it's really, really, bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I see what they are going for here. Most of the old uniform is so closely associated with the Metrodome, they are trying to return to things that are associated with outdoor baseball in MN. The cream pinstripe alts and the script roads scream this. The reason the keep the homes primarily intact is because of the success associated with them and the idea that they are a "classic" look. The home and road wordmarks don't necessarily match, but the overall idea behind the look makes sense.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

count me in as someone who thinks the twins kind of failed here. while the home wordmark looks great, it gets kind of muddied when you bring in all of the alternates and that god awful navy alternate. plus, this is going to be said a lot, but that road jersey is just essentially indentical to the nationals new road treatment.

quick note: how did the alternate being cream pretty much slide right under the radar? so we're looking now (after the mets unveil) at the tribe, twins, phillies and mets all with cream alts and the giants with cream primaries. anyone sensing the next powder blue trend?

sig2024.png

I thought I read the team would not have the sleeveless as an option this season.

Me neither. Liriano was the only starter choosing them for the most part (although Perkins did for a couple of starts).

Since both weren't starting anymore, no one else picked them.

I guess I will keep wearing the one I have. Not going to buy a new home/blue/vest since the tweak isn't enough to spend $$ on.

Three jerseys, three completely different scripts. Just horrible.

For one thing, the road script should be red, not navy. For another thing, THE SCRIPT SHOULD AT LEAST RESEMBLE THEIR HOME JERSEY / PRIMARY LOGO / WORDMARK!!!

It's one thing when you have a custom script at home, and then a "generic" block text on the road. That's fine - it's kind of an old timey baseball thing, and having block text on the road actually complements the custom script on the homes, in a way (I'd rather have custom script on both though.)

But this? The scripts are so close that they clash. It adds a certain ambiguity to the identity, which is not a good thing. Plus, it's too close to the throwback script, making it even worse. All three of these uniforms are OK on their own, but as a set, it's really, really, bad.

at least they ditched the road pinstripes though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Blue will probably be used on the road a lot, as the twins script blue was used on the road this year.

This is another reason why the new road jersey just doesn't make sense. It's just ridiculous to know that this team could be wearing two completely unrelated wordmarks on the same road trip.

I'm not sure the blue alt will even look right on a pants that aren't pin-striped.

I like the new Minnesota script and the retro homes. I'd really prefer that they just used those two. Like I've said, navy with red trim would've been unique. Nobody else does that. So yeah, elements are good, but the whole package is a mess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is another reason why the new road jersey just doesn't make sense. It's just ridiculous to know that this team could be wearing two completely unrelated wordmarks on the same road trip.

I'm not sure the blue alt will even look right on a pants that aren't pin-striped.

Just make sure I understand the point some people are making about wordmarks-apparently what the Twins have done between the home and road is wrong, but that's not the same as the Yankees, Tigers, or Giants for example?

i know this is a twins day, but i've been looking around at mets stuff and i found a blog tidbit that looks like when the mets shift the snow whites to primary, they will be ditching the blue piping. so i expect to see the snow white sans blue piping as the primary home, cream pinstripe as the alternate and the remainder of the black with the road unchanged.

sig2024.png

There's a standard for unified design that wasn't there when the Yankees' uniforms were developed. You know that. If you design new uniforms in the 21st century, it's expected that there's harmony among the various elements. If the Tigers came out with their uniforms now, which don't use the nickname anywhere, have two hats that are the same except for the color of the monogram, have two different versions of the letter D, drop an entire team color from the home uniforms, and so on, people would howl with dismay over what a slapdash mess it was. Some people still don't like it. These quirks are grandfathered in. To be that disparate on a modern uniform is either an affectation or shoddy workmanship.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived