Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome No Longer

BJBerthiaume

Substantive question: Have any other stadiums sold naming rights to other places, rather than to more run-of-the-mill businesses that provide products or services? This isn't all that different from, say, the Nats selling the naming rights at Nationals Park to the Redskins to yield FedEx Field Park. Just kind of odd. On the plus side, you can actually take light rail from the Dome to the Mall, so there's some connection.

Subjective response: If you're gonna do this, then at least have the decency to take Hubert Humphrey's name off the place. You can't sell naming rights to a stadium you've already named as a memorial to an actual person. Might as well let the Park Service make a little cash to sell the rights to the Sons of Confederate Veterans Lincoln Memorial and the British Airways Washington Monument. If they want to make it the Mall of America Metrodome, fine. But take Humphrey's name off it at find something else to name after one of Minnesota's most important dead people.

20082614447.png

I understand the desire to get money and all, but I always think its a pity when an arena or stadium thats named after someone or something historic gets a sponsor. Why can't it just be Candlestick Park and RFK Stadium (though the 'Skins have moved now right??) and Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome and Jack Murphy Stadium??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I understand the desire to get money and all, but I always think its a pity when an arena or stadium thats named after someone or something historic gets a sponsor. Why can't it just be Candlestick Park and RFK Stadium (though the 'Skins have moved now right??) and Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome and Jack Murphy Stadium??

Actually Candlestick Park is back to being Candlestick Park lol.

UT has a couple of long stadium names. They play football on Joe Jamail Field at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Their baseball team plays at University Federal Credit Union Disch-Faulk Field, while the basketball stadium plays at the Frank C. Erwin, Jr. Special Events Center. Its a good thing people use shorter names when refering to these buildings.

UT has a couple of long stadium names. They play football on Joe Jamail Field at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Their baseball team plays at University Federal Credit Union Disch-Faulk Field, while the basketball stadium plays at the Frank C. Erwin, Jr. Special Events Center. Its a good thing people use shorter names when refering to these buildings.

Well, you know the saying...everything is bigger in Texas.

Even stadium names.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

They get around it by christening the playing sufrface one thing, the building another. "Jack Murphy Field at Qualcomm Stadium." I can't wait for the "T-Mobile Coaches' Boxes at Jack Murphy Field at Qualcomm Stadium." "Nationwide Insurance Home Plate at Mall of America Field at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome."

Coming soon. And you know it, Jim.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

They get around it by christening the playing sufrface one thing, the building another. "Jack Murphy Field at Qualcomm Stadium." I can't wait for the "T-Mobile Coaches' Boxes at Jack Murphy Field at Qualcomm Stadium." "Nationwide Insurance Home Plate at Mall of America Field at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome."

Coming soon. And you know it, Jim.

It has already occurred. The 49ers had the "SlingBox Pressbox" at Bill Walsh Field at Candlestick Park. I do not think that SlingBox is still teh sponsor, but the press box still is sponsored.

And once again, I am reminded of how much I love the Bengals for taking the classy route with Paul Brown Stadium.

Yea, so classy to front load your total amount of rent to pay the city. Bengals only agreed to pay $11.7 million total over nine years for use of a $455MM facility. Selling naming rights could have assisted to pay off cost overruns.

True, but you never hear the Joe Jamail thing on TV/radio like you do the others. As a local I would say the football stadium is referred to as "DKR" or sometimes "Memorial," baseball it's almost always "the Dish" and in basketball/concerts the Erwin Center is called just that....or "the Drum" based on the building's appearance.

This stadium nicknames thing could be a fun topic in it's own right. The new Cowboys place already has at least five.

newsig.jpg

It looks like some kind of quasi-sub-lease kind of thing. The Vikings don't own the Metrodome, so they really don't have the right to rename it. Since this is only a naming of the playing surface, it apparently falls under the terms of what they're allowed to do in their lease with the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, and I'm guessing the name therefore probably only applies to Vikings games (even though the Gophers have moved out, there are still some small-college and high school games that are held there every year).

So can they sell the rest of the stadium's rights to someone else?

The Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Concourse at Mall of America Field at the Herbert H. Humphries MetroDome perhaps?

The Target Corporation Concession Stand in the Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Concourse at Mall of America Field at the Herbert H. Humphries MetroDome...

Edit: Looks like tommy had the same idea I did a few posts ago! Read them all Ryan!

Archived