Iverson is a Sixer again

DOech714

Those uniforms are a disgrace.

That's all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It'll be weird seeing him in cornrows but no blue/black sixers unis. He was "the man" when i started paying heavy attention to the NBA, and its nice to see him get another chance with Philly. Despite how ugly those uniforms were, Iverson made them an iconic and recognizable look

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Those uniforms weren't really that bad, once you get past the whole BFBS thing (which does have some validity.) If black was historically one of their colors, I don't think anyone would have had a problem with those unis.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It'll be weird seeing him in cornrows but no blue/black sixers unis. He was "the man" when i started paying heavy attention to the NBA, and its nice to see him get another chance with Philly. Despite how ugly those uniforms were, Iverson made them an iconic and recognizable look

Ditto. The last time I remember him wearing red, he was fresh outta college with no cornrows, headband, armsleeves, or a lot of tattoos.

I still can't adjust to these new uniforms even though they're old uniforms at the same time. The 76ers had a good identity with red, blue, and black... Now they just look like the Clippers, Pistons, and Hawks. It's a good thing the Wizards aren't still the Bullets.

It's a good thing the Wizards aren't still the Bullets.

Rumor around DC has it that Ted Leonsis is thinking about changing it back.

He better. If there's one thing he needs to do (aside from winning a championship, of course), it's to undo the one big mistake that Abe Pollin made in his 40-some years as owner of the team and rename the team the Washington Bullets.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I personally think it was lame. If it was so bad, he shouldn't have named them that in the first place.

He named them that because at the time, Baltimore was the biggest artillery manufacturer in the US, IIRC. And changing back from Wizards to Bullets would be seen as a huge insult to Pollin's memory. Just change the colours and logo.

I still can't adjust to these new uniforms even though they're old uniforms at the same time. The 76ers had a good identity with red, blue, and black... Now they just look like the Clippers, Pistons, and Hawks.

No, the old black and gold identity was a holdover from a previous owner who wanted to rename the team the Philadelphia Pirates (seriously). The plan was to slowly introduce the new identity with a black and gold colour scheme and go from there. The Pirates change was nixed, but the black look remained, and in my opinion was just awful.

I disagree. Wizards is a terrible name. I'm not so much advocating going back to Bullets, or even the old red white and blue colours*. They should, however, work on a new name and logo set.

*Though I wouldn't object to the team going back to that identity. The reasons for changing the name were pretty dumb.

I still can't adjust to these new uniforms even though they're old uniforms at the same time. The 76ers had a good identity with red, blue, and black... Now they just look like the Clippers, Pistons, and Hawks.

No, the old black and gold identity was a holdover from a previous owner who wanted to rename the team the Philadelphia Pirates (seriously). The plan was to slowly introduce the new identity with a black and gold colour scheme and go from there. The Pirates change was nixed, but the black look remained, and in my opinion was just awful.

I disagree. Wizards is a terrible name. I'm not so much advocating going back to Bullets, or even the old red white and blue colours*. They should, however, work on a new name and logo set.

*Though I wouldn't object to the team going back to that identity. The reasons for changing the name were pretty dumb.

I agree on a new name for the Wizards. While the sediment for Bullets is there for many fans I feel they shouldn't go back to it in respect to Abe. I think whatever the new name is it needs to be patriotic and use the nation's colors. Just some quick thoughts ... Stars, Eagles, Revolution, Generals (lol), Squires, Americans or Colonels. I also think using either Washington, D.C. or even Capital (Capital Bullets in 1973) could work for most of the names.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I still can't adjust to these new uniforms even though they're old uniforms at the same time. The 76ers had a good identity with red, blue, and black... Now they just look like the Clippers, Pistons, and Hawks. It's a good thing the Wizards aren't still the Bullets.

You?re not talking about these are you?

eofnizaewf7fggbcjmucedat9.gif

gr3uocp0qmgzpcglffrgftaev.gif

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

No, the old black and gold identity was a holdover from a previous owner who wanted to rename the team the Philadelphia Pirates (seriously). The plan was to slowly introduce the new identity with a black and gold colour scheme and go from there.

What? Where did you hear this?

The Sixers were bought from Harold Katz by Comcast back in '96. The team is run by Comcast-Spectacor, which is chaired by Ed Snider, who owned the Flyers (before his company Spectacor was sold to Comcast.) The new uniforms came after the '96 - '97 season, so it was still under the current ownership. The team "president" (and extreme-minority owner) was local fitness mogul Pat Croce, who very likely inspired the color change, as he was a master of marketing and promoting. He made the arena a great place to be around. After he left (he wanted more power, but they weren't going to make him the chairman of the board, lol) the team has floundered.

At no time have I ever heard about the Pirates thing. I can't believe that Croce would ever have even though of that, since he was a long time fan before becoming a trainer and eventually president. Either way, the black and gold colors were NOT holdovers from a previous owner.

Archived