The 5 year no change rule

Claystation360

Well this is more of a question then a statement. Im just wondering if the 5 year rule applies to teams that relocate. Lets just say the Jaguars were to move to another city following the 2010 season , They changed their uniforms for the 2009 season so that would only have them going into year 3 of their current uniform when they start play in " LA" would they be exempt to it, would they be allowed to change the uniforms if they see fit again as this would be a major change im not counting them changing the Jacksonvile to Los Angeles above the Jaguars on the uniform, Im talking about a major change.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Well this is more of a question then a statement. Im just wondering if the 5 year rule applies to teams that relocate. Lets just say the Jaguars were to move to another city following the 2010 season , They changed their uniforms for the 2009 season so that would only have them going into year 3 of their current uniform when they start play in " LA" would they be exempt to it, would they be allowed to change the uniforms if they see fit again as this would be a major change im not counting them changing the Jacksonvile to Los Angeles above the Jaguars on the uniform, Im talking about a major change.

Does that rule account for small changes and alterations? IOW, if a team has passed the 5 year mark and they make a small alteration does it count as their "change" and therefore they wouldn't be able to change again for 5 years? Just wondering.

Not sure of the exact rule, but if they approved the move, i'm sure they'd approve altering the logo, it may not be an immediate change...i.e:

4632.gif

However, in that case didn't they use this patchwork name/logo because of the immediate nature of the move to Tennessee? If I'm remembering correctly the Oilers thought they were going to have to stay in Houston through 1998 to finish out their lease on the Astrodome. The fan reaction was so swift against the ownership they worked out a buy-out and left ahead of schedule. With the stadium in Nashville under construction they chose to play in Memphis (at the Liberty Bowl, a larger facility than anything extisting in Nashville) as the Tennessee Oilers with the assumption they would take their new identity of the Tennessee Titans when they finally settled in Nashville. When the attendance was poor in Memphis (who in Memphis wanted a "loaner" team for two years?) they moved on up to Nashville a year early and played at Vanderbilt's stadium (still as the Oilers) until the new one opened in 1999.

Are we even aware that this rule exists?

The Lerners said, when they unveiled the Bucs throwback, that a team has to stick with its alternate for five seasons. But as far as I know, the actual specifics of the rules remain secret.

Are you trying to say that this "rule" may not be a rule or maybe it is? If I didn't know any better, I would say that Gothamite may have found where this rule exists, the NASCAR rule book that supposedly only exists in the hands of the top NASCAR officials.

The Lerners said, when they unveiled the Bucs throwback, that a team has to stick with its alternate for five seasons. But as far as I know, the actual specifics of the rules remain secret.

I think that in Bucs' case it means that the orange creamsicles are their only alternate option for five years. They could still opt not to wear them though.

There is no 5 year "rule".

There are plenty of examples to refute it.

Start running 'em down to us, cat.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Start running 'em down to us, cat.

...I hate stripes.

I believe there is a 5 year rule for a total uniform/identity redesign...alterations to an existing design I'm sure are permitted wihin that limit like mods to pants striping/socks...what I think is ridiculous is the 2 year notice required to make a change...given the speed that guys on here can whip up solid concepts you'd think a team could get a solid design done and approved in 6 months but I guess it's really the lead time for merch that causes the headaches.

Yea like when the eagles added black drop shadows to their numbers, I wonder if that counted (I know the black jersey did)

The Eagles made minor changes to their uniforms for the first three years of their identity switch in '96, even prior to the more major mods in '03. If there is such a rule, it obviously doesn't include "minor" changes - just a full logo and major uni overhaul.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Five years have come and gone... So what are you waiting for, Buffalo?

No kidding. You'd think they would have ditched those things the very second that they became able to.

Could it be that the Bills are merely waiting on the decision to jump ship to Toronto? *shrugs shoulders*

Honestly, why waste money on something when you may have to just redo it all over again? I'm mean c'mon, do you seriously think that if they ever moved to Toronto they'd be the 'Toronto Bills'????

I can't envision it.

I think that in Bucs' case it means that the orange creamsicles are their only alternate option for five years. They could still opt not to wear them though.

That is my reading of Lerner's statement, as well. We don't really know anything else about the NFL's uniform regulations, so far as I know. Just a lot of surmising and speculating.

Five years have come and gone... So what are you waiting for, Buffalo?

No kidding. You'd think they would have ditched those things the very second that they became able to.

Could it be that the Bills are merely waiting on the decision to jump ship to Toronto? *shrugs shoulders*

Honestly, why waste money on something when you may have to just redo it all over again? I'm mean c'mon, do you seriously think that if they ever moved to Toronto they'd be the 'Toronto Bills'????

I can't envision it.

Either Toronto Red Coats or don't move at all. I would LOVE to watch those Patriots vs Red Coats games.

Archived