Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

45 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

There are rumors of the Pac 12 getting San Diego State and SMU.  

Yeah lol I know.

Not really hyped on SMU but I understand it. I'm happy with SDSU though, they're already an affiliate member in mens soccer and will also be fun additions for basketball and baseball.

8 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Yeah lol I know.

Not really hyped on SMU but I understand it. I'm happy with SDSU though, they're already an affiliate member in mens soccer and will also be fun additions for basketball and baseball.

And the conference is desperate to maintain some presence in Southern California.

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

What if the power 5 created and sold a “Saturday red zone” package? That would print ,money, no?

All the different television contracts for the conferences prevent that, and NCAA v. Board of Regents might prevent that too though I guess it being up to the conferences would get around that

• Like 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

10 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Yeah lol I know.

Really wish Boise was getting hardcore consideration from the Pac-12. I know their academics aren't up to par with most Pac-12 schools, but they've been the most deserving G5 school to get bumped up this century. I'd say Cincy, UCF, Utah and TCU (up until 2012 and 2022) were close runners-up. I feel as if their baseball team hadn't been decimated by COVID, they'd probably get more consideration (though Colorado and SMU don't have baseball programs either).

• Like 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

58 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Really wish Boise was getting hardcore consideration from the Pac-12. I know their academics aren't up to par with most Pac-12 schools, but they've been the most deserving G5 school to get bumped up this century. I'd say Cincy, UCF, Utah and TCU (up until 2012 and 2022) were close runners-up. I feel as if their baseball team hadn't been decimated by COVID, they'd probably get more consideration (though Colorado and SMU don't have baseball programs either).

It kinda feels like Boise State's football program has leveled off at a bottom Top 25/just outside the Top 25 team. Respectable, no doubt, but given that football is really the only legitimate positive for that school, are they really worth targeting for a power 5 conference? If the Pac-12 managed to keep the remaining schools plus add SDSU and SMU, I'd say no. They'd still be a power 5 conference, albeit, not as strong, but would probably have higher standards than Boise state. If they split up with the "4-corner schools" going to the Big 12 and Oregon/UW + maybe Stanford to the Big Ten, then I could see them bringing in Boise State, but moreso simply for numbers.

7 hours ago, McCall said:

And the conference is desperate to maintain some presence in Southern California.

I don't think desperate is the right word, maintaining a presence in the most populated region on the West Coast is just an absolute necessity. That being said if SDSU was UCSD they would be in the Pac-12 already. It was always a Cal and UCLA didn't want a CSU in their conference issue for SDSU. Los Angeles and San Diego are two different places just in the same region, USC and UCLA already accounting for the San Diego market was always just an excuse. 

I view adding SMU as the more desperate move. Is a small private school with limited football success located in a very crowded CFB market really going to "capture the Dallas market and open up Texas recruiting pipelines" for the Pac-12? Nope, but hey they have rich alumni! I doubt people in Dallas will even care that Pac-12 teams are playing in their city and why would they. 

5 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Here's the Pac-12's options based on football success, research status, and market size. 

Football Success (Past 10 Years)                                            R1 Research                                 Desirable Market

Boise State (3 MW Titles, Six 10 Seasons, 1 NY6 Win)               Colorado State                       San Diego State (3.3 Million)

Fresno State (3 MW Titles, Five 10 Win Seasons)                       New Mexico                                 SMU (7.7 Million)

San Diego State (2 MW Titles, Five 10 Win Seasons)                       Nevada                                       UNLV (2.2 Million)

SMU (One 10 Win Season)                                                          UNLV

Utah State (1 MW Title, Three 10 Win Seasons)                          Utah State

If the Pac-12 is going off football success then you're absolutely right, Boise State is in along with Fresno State or San Diego State. Or add all three plus one more that's probably based on market, so either UNLV or SMU. This probably should happen. 

If they're going strictly off R1 research status then UNLV, Utah State, and Colorado State are probably the top 3. They could continue with the travel partner thing they already have established and add Utah State to pair with Utah and Colorado State to pair with Colorado but that adds no new markets. So UNLV would probably be in for sure here plus one more off that list. No way this would happen. 

Or they go based on market size which SDSU and SMU are the obvious winners here, or they decide against SMU since it isn't in the West and go with UNLV. This is what's going to happen.

Honestly, no one will be happy because every option kind of sucks. It all feels lackluster and definitely not Power 5, kind of like the new Big 12 but they had some better options. The only way to get the best of all worlds and make everyone in the Pac-12 happy would be if UC Davis and UC San Diego (or even UC Irvine ) somehow had near Power 5 level football teams/athletics and large fanbases. Both bring very high level academics in large metro areas (Sacramento 2.3 Million for Davis). But that's not reality.

• Like 1

The more I see from the MLS and Apple TV deal the more I want that for the Pac-12. MLS still gets some regular season games on Fox plus the playoffs and they get their own tab on the Apple TV app, each team has it's own page and content, the studios look amazing, plus the great visual quality of the broadcast we saw last year with MLB. All the Pac-12 sports in one easy to get app instead of the then hassle of cable, count me in.

1 minute ago, TBGKon said:

This should go over real well with the rest of the teams in the ACC

So I guess this starts the countdown clock on Clemson and Florida State joining the SEC and Miami joining... the Big 12? Maybe Big Ten if they're desperate enough to get down into Florida?

I absolutely HATE the idea of Miami going to the B1G. I know our fans don't like the ACC, but it makes the most sense geographically. If we did have to move, I would be open to joining the Big 12 since they've got UCF and we could start an actual football rivalry. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I absolutely HATE the idea of Miami going to the B1G. I know our fans don't like the ACC, but it makes the most sense geographically. If we did have to move, I would be open to joining the Big 12 since they've got UCF and we could start an actual football rivalry. 

I'd only see Miami in the Big Ten if they just wanted to get a Florida team that badly and missed out on Florida State.

• Like 1

What makes you say that? The 500 million endowment gap to the lowest current Pac 12 member, or the 150 school gap in the US News college rankings to the lowest current Pac 12 member?

it's just where their conference championship game is. Hell, it would be nice geographically for UNLV and Nevada to join but it's the same reasons Boise State never really got considered either.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TBGKon said:

This should go over real well with the rest of the teams in the ACC

Someone (the CIA? UN? NATO? SOMEONE PLS) needs to step in and blow up the conferences in football. Let all the other sports go back to their traditional conferences that actually make sense and have football only go to some new system based on whatever ESPN and FOX want, or maybe some kind of performance based system. 

2 hours ago, Burmy said:

In other news, the Pac-12 Football Media Day has been moved to Las Vegas.

If you can read between the lines, this bit of of understated news makes 'em look vigorous.

Man as soon as UNLV moves into a NFL stadium that they'll never fill it makes everyone over look the fact that they've never had any success in football (talking one of the worst G5's historically) and have barely had any success in basketball since Tark left.

11 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Someone (the CIA? UN? NATO? SOMEONE PLS) needs to step in and blow up the conferences in football. Let all the other sports go back to their traditional conferences that actually make sense and have football only go to some new system based on whatever ESPN and FOX want, or maybe some kind of performance based system. 

Since conferences are about to lose all

meaning, I’d rather everybody just be an independent and schedule whoever they want. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience