Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

On 12/10/2022 at 4:29 AM, jlog3000 said:

Well that's a true fact. However, at least C-USA didn't and had never become a football-only conference when it was formed. It was an all-sports league that had teams with football like Cincinnati and Louisville and Southern Miss plus teams with basketball spekks such as DePaul and Marquette and Saint Louis, including those without football but would eventually later add them like UNC Charlotte and South Florida and UAB. That's why I would suggest (if I was a staff member of either the WAC or the A-Sun) that the merger should be for full membership instead of just only football. And over time, the non-football schools would need to defect for other regional conferences (because that's also how it occured in C-USA during the 2005-06 conference realignment).

I still don't think you're grasping what exactly is happening.

You have football schools from two, FCS conferences, wanting to form an FBS conference, while maintaining their membership in the separate, DIVISION I, conferences for all other sports. This new FBS conference is just that , A NEW FBS CONFERENCE. No schools are being left out. Any school from these two separate FCS conferences that want to go FBS were probably invited to join. If they aren't, then it's probably because they want to stay FCS. These schools are not leaving these two separate conferences for any sport other than football, the only sport where FBS exists.

You're literally complaining about nothing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, McCall said:

You're literally complaining about nothing.

So what if I am? Hence I have a reason for it cuz it's my opinion. And it's cuz I don't personally like the idea of two D-I conferences (whether FCS or FBS alike or non-football if it's just for other sports within D-I alone) merge just for one sport only (being football in this case, just for one bid for the postseason), when they have potential to expand candidates to get to the needed or required amount of schools.

As if now leagues from the FCS for football want to follow the FBS method; hence the super-conference method of attempting to go over 16, and eventually a possibility to shrink smaller leagues into bigger ones within college sports.

It would had been better like the old times when only expansion had a maximum amount of schools to like stay at 10 members (leading to a full round-robin conference-play schedule of 9 games for each team) or at 12 members (with or without 2-division play [even if it's pseudo-technical for scheduling purposes] with 8 conference-play games [facing 5 'intra-division' foes plus 3 'non-division' foes for 2 years on a home-and-home basis on a 4-year span]) instead of going past 12. Hence no wonder not every team would face everyone in a yearly basis.

Plus, what happened to agreeing to disagreeing on certain things just because one has an opinion than others. Or what, you guys are willing to impose me to deal with it by force without my consent?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

6 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

So what if I am? Hence I have a reason for it cuz it's my opinion. And it's cuz I don't personally like the idea of two D-I conferences (whether FCS or FBS alike or non-football if it's just for other sports within D-I alone) merge just for one sport only (being football in this case, just for one bid for the postseason), when they have potential to expand candidates to get to the needed or required amount of schools.

As if now leagues from the FCS for football want to follow the FBS method; hence the super-conference method of attempting to go over 16, and eventually a possibility to shrink smaller leagues into bigger ones within college sports.

It would had been better like the old times when only expansion had a maximum amount of schools to like stay at 10 members (leading to a full round-robin conference-play schedule of 9 games for each team) or at 12 members (with or without 2-division play [even if it's pseudo-technical for scheduling purposes] with 8 conference-play games [facing 5 'intra-division' foes plus 3 'non-division' foes for 2 years on a home-and-home basis on a 4-year span]) instead of going past 12. Hence no wonder not every team would face everyone in a yearly basis.

Plus, what happened to agreeing to disagreeing on certain things just because one has an opinion than others. Or what, you guys are willing to impose me to deal with it by force without my consent?

You're complaining about an issue that's not there, though. You keep saying schools are being left behind. They aren't. You keep saying other sports are being kept out of FBS. They aren't,  because FBS is a football-only division that has no effect on other sports. All sports in these conferences (that are currently division I) REMAIN division I. If you don't like the idea of them forming an FBS conference, ok. But all of the reasoning you've listed for this, that you put out there for scrutiny and criticism, is not accurate. This has NO effect on schools in the two conferences that may not want to go FBS. It has NO effect on other sports within those two conferences. None. Nobody's being left behind nor screwed over. It's just not the case.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, raysox said:

So uhhh what do you guys think this new conference is gonna be named?

EDIT: i'm sure this got mentioned but 17 FBS schools in Texas alone is NUTS

All the good options appear to already be taken...

bYhYmxh.png

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Have there been any updates on Gonzaga to the Big 12?

If it ever happens a big IF as I don’t ever see it happening) I would go after Grand Canyon, Denver and Seattle as their replacement. But if I’m the WCC, I would find a replacement for BYU

15 hours ago, raysox said:

So uhhh what do you guys think this new conference is gonna be named?

EDIT: i'm sure this got mentioned but 17 FBS schools in Texas alone is NUTS

My brain has already auto-filled the new conference as the WACSUN.

• LOL 1

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

12 minutes ago, LAWeaver said:

My brain has already auto-filled the new conference as the WACSUN.

Could be the Sun Athletic Conference! Sun Belt may not like that
Could be the Western-Atlantic Conference! Wait no

Could be a third American-based named conference! How about the Alliance of American Football!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, raysox said:

Could be a third American-based named conference! How about the Alliance of American Football!

America-based name that references the large geographic footprint and the fact that it's a football-only group? National Football Conference. There we go, we did it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

America-based name that references the large geographic footprint and the fact that it's a football-only group? National Football Conference. There we go, we did it.

The United States National Xtreme Football Alliance

Signature intentionally left blank

I say this a lot about high school sports where I think it's really true, but college sports would probably be better on the whole if football conference affiliation was split off entirely from other sports. Football is unique in that it's a once-a-week, big-money endeavor — the death of the original Big East is obviously the biggest example, but this landscape where the Big XII will have teams in West Virginia, Florida and Utah and the Big Ten will have two California schools and a New Jersey school is just unnecessary for pretty much every other sport.

The MVFC works pretty well as a proof-of-concept IMO by not forcing a school like Youngstown State into a conference for other sports where they aren't within 6 hours of another league member (compare this to the Horizon League, where 8 of the other 10 members are within ~5 hours of YSU).

I can't necessarily endorse the concept of schools lighting money on fire to play at the FBS level, but the idea of a football-only conference of misfits is a hell of a lot smarter than an all-sports conference of misfits.

• Like 4

6fQjS3M.png