Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

49 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I mean its like West Virginia in the Big 12 with the closest team in Iowa. At least they will have Cincinnati in between them next year.

Except SMU is small private university (would have smallest undergrad and total enrollment in the Pac-12)  that only ended it's religious affiliation a few years ago. And it's located in Texas. 

I do hear they have trouble with filling their stadium though too, so at least they have that in common with the rest of us.

For the sake of the Pac-12, I hope the UC Regents block UCLA from going to the B1G. 

I think Bill Walton has my favorite take on this whole ordeal...

"every argument made by these senior AD’s and why they like it, is about money, these same proponents of moving to the Big 10, are the first people I have ever encountered in my life, who have claimed economic hardship and limitations in Los Angeles, and that the solution lies in the Midwest"

• Like 4

In other news, outside of the FBS or D-I or the NCAA, there is some realignment news from the NAIA, as former D-III school Iowa Wesleyan will re-join back to the American Midwest Conference (AMC), beginning the 2023-24 school year.

https://www.victorysportsnetwork.com/Clip/news/iowa-wesleyan-university-rejoins-american-midwest-conference.htm

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

3 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

For the sake of the Pac-12, I hope the UC Regents block UCLA from going to the B1G. 

I think Bill Walton has my favorite take on this whole ordeal...

"every argument made by these senior AD’s and why they like it, is about money, these same proponents of moving to the Big 10, are the first people I have ever encountered in my life, who have claimed economic hardship and limitations in Los Angeles, and that the solution lies in the Midwest"

This is why this is a big deal.... it's either UCLA moves to the Big 10 or the Big 10 is going to go on a massive spree to get 4 teams to make sure USC don't feel lonely.

12 hours ago, heavybass said:

This is why this is a big deal.... it's either UCLA moves to the Big 10 or the Big 10 is going to go on a massive spree to get 4 teams to make sure USC don't feel lonely.

They're going to anyway. I expect Stanford, Oregon and Washington to join. Utah may be the 5th team if UCLA is forced to stay in the LAME-12 (with Stanford being the immediate replacement). Or maybe the Big Ten goes ahead and accepts both UCLA AND Cal to appease the regents.

As I said, it's highly unlikely that UCLA's Big Ten move gets blocked today...the Board of Regents knows that if they do it, there'll be plenty of lawsuits that drag through the courts for years.

What's more likely is that the Board and the Big Ten will make a deal that allows the Bruins to join while the conference gives the Board a good number things.

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Burkell007 said:

Well then…..https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35216756/atlantic-sun-wac-teams-pairing-move-fbs-sources-say

looks like the Asun-WAC wants to go to FBS as a football only conference.

Note in the article that it appears the NCAA would be willing to recognize that conference as an FBS one...the only problem is that nobody seems to know what the procedure is to admit an entire new FBS conference these days (it hasn't happened since the Mountain West started in '99).

If that conference does happen, something tells me that Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State and Sam Houston's coming stays in C-USA could be short ones.

And finally, if that conference gets approved, it means we get even MOAR bowl games (a big conference is gonna need tie-ins, you know)...

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

3 minutes ago, Burmy said:

Note in the article that it appears the NCAA would be willing to recognize that conference as an FBS one...the only problem is that nobody seems to know what the procedure is to admit an entire new FBS conference these days (it hasn't happened since the Mountain West started in '99).

If that conference does happen, something tells me that Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State and Sam Houston's coming stays in C-USA could be short ones.

And finally, if that conference gets approved, it means we get even MOAR bowl games (a big conference is gonna need tie-ins, you know)...

Good point about the 3 cusa schools. Would NMSU & Liberty also jump back “home”?

18 minutes ago, Burkell007 said:

Good point about the 3 cusa schools. Would NMSU & Liberty also jump back “home”?

I think that could be a possibility, but for Liberty what money are they leaving on the table to go to the new conference? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Here's what I can't understand. Why would it make sense to be an FBS-only conference? Don't the other sports of those schools matter? Like basketball or other Olympic sports such as baseball or soccer, etc. And for what, for just ONE automatic bid and possibly WITHOUT a chance for an at-large?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

3 hours ago, Burkell007 said:

Well then…..https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35216756/atlantic-sun-wac-teams-pairing-move-fbs-sources-say

looks like the Asun-WAC wants to go to FBS as a football only conference.

That would make the number of FBS schools in Texas......17 if Abilene Christian, Stephen F. Austin, UT-Rio Grande Valley and Tarleton State all become FBS football schools.  

3 hours ago, jlog3000 said:

Here's what I can't understand. Why would it make sense to be an FBS-only conference? Don't the other sports of those schools matter? Like basketball or other Olympic sports such as baseball or soccer, etc. And for what, for just ONE automatic bid and possibly WITHOUT a chance for an at-large?

What?

FBS only exists in football. FCS is still a Division I level, so all schools would probably still be Division I in all other sports, if they so choose. 

All sports: Division I

Football: Division I (FBS)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, McCall said:

What?

FBS only exists in football. FCS is still a Division I level, so all schools would probably still be Division I in all other sports, if they so choose. 

All sports: Division I

Football: Division I (FBS)

Yeah, but why a football-only conference WITHIN the FBS? It seems odd and unheard of. I wonder what will be next, a basketball-only conference?

3 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

Yeah, but why a football-only conference WITHIN the FBS? It seems odd and unheard of.

It works in the FCS. Just ask the Pioneer Football League or the Missouri Valley Football Conference

• Like 3

Signature intentionally left blank