Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

What are the chances that the SWAC becomes an FBS conference in the next decade?

Personally, I'd love to see it, but based on current criteria, there are only a handful of schools in the conference that could do it at the moment. What legislation do you think would have to change to get these schools up to FBS?

https://footballscoop.com/news/coach-prime-deion-sanders-hbcu-swac-expansion

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

What are the chances that the SWAC becomes an FBS conference in the next decade?

Personally, I'd love to see it, but based on current criteria, there are only a handful of schools in the conference that could do it at the moment. What legislation do you think would have to change to get these schools up to FBS?

If the power conferences separate from the NCAA or become their own level under the NCAA or whatever, then it's possible some FCS conferences could move up to FBS.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:55 AM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

On 8/26/2022 at 10:06 AM, McCall said:

If the power conferences separate from the NCAA or become their own level under the NCAA or whatever, then it's possible some FCS conferences could move up to FBS.

I doubt it. Most of the schools are not up for the challenge. The Celebration Bowl will also play a factor. Maybe something like the top schools of the SWAC and MEAC team up, hop to FBS, and take the Celebration Bowl with them? The Jackson States can shake the Coppin States. Activate the money printer.

I suppose its possible that some of them could move up as the "American Heritage Conference" or something that would just take the top HBCUs. Something like:

East

Alabama A&M

Alabama St

Florida A&M

Howard

Morgan St

NC A&T

West

Grambling St

Jackson St

PVAMU

Southern

Tennessee St

Texas Southern

This is based on no actual research, just vibes

• Like 3

Look at some of the bottom tier dregs of FBS, the broke arse teams struggling as independents or the new Conference USA.

Those athletic departments and their associated academic institutions have far better academic and financial support than just about any SWAC or MEAC team could muster due to structural issues related to why those schools exist in the first place.  No way in hell could they hack a jump up en masse; Florida A&M, which is probably one of the best off, tried for 1 season in 2003 and it ended in financial disaster.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Question. Could two conferences execute a trade of member schools if they wanted to?  If all parties involved were in agreeance over a trade, is that a thing that could theoretically happen? Aways wondered.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Question. Could two conferences execute a trade of member schools if they wanted to?  If all parties involved were in agreeance over a trade, is that a thing that could theoretically happen? Aways wondered.

In theory it could work...in practice, it would be a complicated matter.

And this is coming from the guy who always jokes about how the Big East can easily get Loyola by offering DePaul to the A10.

bYhYmxh.png

Word has it that Indianapolis (D2 GLVC) will be voting at their September 30 meeting on whether or not to move up to Division 1 and FCS football.

If the reclassification vote is yes, then they'll move to the Ohio Valley Conference...but if it's no, then they'll move to the Division 2 Great Midwest Athletic Conference.

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if the Big East is being methodical about things when it comes to conference realignment. As of, like waiting patiently to make their move to have a 12th member (whether it would be Dayton or Saint Louis) to finally solidify that west divisional branch), and if it wants to, it would go for 14 by taking Dayton and another east coast-based school with recent success in some sports (with basketball being the primary focus).

On a sidenote, I didn't know that according to the D-II moving up ladder that involved that schools from the GLVC would move to the G-MAC, as in the last few years that their new members came from the Michigan-based GLIAC; that's if UIndy remains committed to D-II over D-I.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

2 hours ago, jlog3000 said:

I wonder if the Big East is being methodical about things when it comes to conference realignment. As of, like waiting patiently to make their move to have a 12th member (whether it would be Dayton or Saint Louis) to finally solidify that west divisional branch), and if it wants to, it would go for 14 by taking Dayton and another east coast-based school with recent success in some sports (with basketball being the primary focus).

On a sidenote, I didn't know that according to the D-II moving up ladder that involved that schools from the GLVC would move to the G-MAC, as in the last few years that their new members came from the Michigan-based GLIAC; that's if UIndy remains committed to D-II over D-I.

TBH, I didn't even know Dayton still had a football program until the Chargers hired Brandon Staley as their head coach.  

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

TBH, I didn't even know Dayton still had a football program until the Chargers hired Brandon Staley as their head coach.  

To be fair, Dayton does have football for a while, but in the non-scholarship PFL, alongside Butler. Besides the Big East of today doesn't sponsor football as a conference sport (hence Villanova plays in the CAA, Georgetown  in the Patriot and UConn as an FBS indy). Obviously I also mentioned them as a possible candidate (like Saint Louis) for expansion should the Big East plan to go for 14 instead of 12.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

IMHO, the Big East should look at Loyola of Chicago, St. Louis and Dayton if they want 14.

It would be a win-win for both sides. The Big East adds in schools that are focused on basketball, adding in schools that would help out for Creighton and it would alleviate the bloat that the Atlantic 10 is going through right now.

9 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

IMHO, the Big East should look at Loyola of Chicago, St. Louis and Dayton if they want 14.

It would be a win-win for both sides. The Big East adds in schools that are focused on basketball, adding in schools that would help out for Creighton and it would alleviate the bloat that the Atlantic 10 is going through right now.

I believe that Loyola (Ill.) would be an excellent choice too, to be quite honest.

2 hours ago, jlog3000 said:

To be fair, Dayton does have football for a while, but in the non-scholarship PFL, alongside Butler. Besides the Big East of today doesn't sponsor football as a conference sport (hence Villanova plays in the CAA, Georgetown  in the Patriot and UConn as an FBS indy). Obviously I also mentioned them as a possible candidate (like Saint Louis) for expansion should the Big East plan to go for 14 instead of 12.

I knew Villanova had a football team because I remember watching the national announcers mention that former Eagles RB Bryan Westbook went there.  

Butler and Georgetown have football teams.  I also did not know that.  Also learned last year that Duquesne has a football team.  

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I knew Villanova had a football team because I remember watching the national announcers mention that former Eagles RB Bryan Westbook went there.  

Butler and Georgetown have football teams.  I also did not know that.  Also learned last year that Duquesne has a football team.  

What's crazy about Villanova Football is that right after producing HOFer Howie Long, they abruptly shut the whole program down, without hardly anyone in the athletic department being involved in the decision or having any fore warning.  The president / priest and the board decided they didn't want to pay for football anymore so they shut it down, and all the players showed up for practice one day and the gym was full of assistant coaches from all other colleges who were basically there to "draft" the remaining players who were any good.

I think they were without football from '81 - '84 or '85.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

D1 New Orleans is strongly considering adding football and would build a new privately funded stadium on the NOLA waterfront to host such a team if a November student fee increase referendum passes.

Privateer football could kick off as soon as 2025, and would play in the FCS Southland (with UNO's other sports teams)

bYhYmxh.png

6 minutes ago, Burmy said:

D1 New Orleans is strongly considering adding football and would build a new privately funded stadium on the NOLA waterfront to host such a team if a November student fee increase referendum passes.

Privateer football could kick off as soon as 2025, and would play in the FCS Southland (with UNO's other sports teams)

That would be a definite boost for the conference, but even with that, they could still potentially add an extra pair of schools (with or without football alike, as long as their current core group of members still have access to compete in the FCS playoffs; which is something the WAC would need to figure out once they lose New Mexico St. and Sam Houston St. after this season ends, plus losing Lamar back to the SLC so quickly and UIW chose to remain in the SLC instead of going to the WAC).

Crazy for an athletic department that almost went D3 due to financial impacts of a D1 department then almost went D2 (to the point of competing a year as a D2 independent and being accepted into the Gulf South) before ultimately deciding to keep D1 athletics. This was only a decade ago and now they're almost certainly adding football. 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I saw some rumor tweets that Le Moyne might be heading to D-I as a full member (not just baseball), and might eventually join either the MAAC or the Northeast (NEC). And might wait to see if it's true or not that UIndy is planning to move upto D-I (and eventually joining the OVC) or rather stay in D-II.

On 9/29/2022 at 4:38 AM, jlog3000 said:

I saw some rumor tweets that Le Moyne might be heading to D-I as a full member (not just baseball), and might eventually join either the MAAC or the Northeast (NEC). And might wait to see if it's true or not that UIndy is planning to move upto D-I (and eventually joining the OVC) or rather stay in D-II.

Apparently UIndy's Board of Trustees meeting is tonight...so we will have an answer very soon in that regard.

bYhYmxh.png