Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

This helps C-USA get to an even number of teams and they really don't have to do anything special.

On the other hand... the A-Sun may want to think about merging their football league with the WAC at this point, because this plan is literally dying on the vine.

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

This helps C-USA get to an even number of teams and they really don't have to do anything special.

On the other hand... the A-Sun may want to think about merging their football league with the WAC at this point, because this plan is literally dying on the vine.

With Kennesaw waiting until 2024, I'm curious as to how C-USA plans to make do with 9 in '23?

Same way they're making do with 11 this year, I suppose.

bYhYmxh.png

• 3 weeks later...

This would be a pretty big deal.  It would be the first time a Power 5 conference added a non-football school.

I know Notre Dame isn't a member of the ACC for football (2020 excluded).  However, they at least play FBS football as an independent and are also contractually obligated to play five games per year against ACC schools.  Gonzaga literally adds nothing from a football perspective.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think there's gonna end up being a PAC-12/BIG 12 merger someday, anyway, with the PAC schools that are leftover after the Big Ten (more than likely) picks off who they want to join UCLA and USC, joining the Big 12. So this seems like it would have eventually happened anyway. And seems to really drive home the notion that the PAC is not long for existence.

• Dislike 1

Gonzaga going to the Big XII would be a massive L for the Pac-12 (and of course the WCC), they should have been working on adding the Zags as soon as USC and UCLA announced they were leaving.

Meanwhile, Sports Illustrated is reporting that the Pac-12 and San Diego State have had ongoing communication. 

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/college-football-pac-12-and-san-diego-state-have-had-ongoing-communication

3 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Gonzaga going to the Big XII would be a massive L for the Pac-12 (and of course the WCC), they should have been working on adding the Zags as soon as USC and UCLA announced they were leaving.

Meanwhile, Sports Illustrated is reporting that the Pac-12 and San Diego State have had ongoing communication. 

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/college-football-pac-12-and-san-diego-state-have-had-ongoing-communication

Agreed and also PAC-12 needs SDSU to get back to the SoCal market

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Agreed and also PAC-12 needs SDSU to get back to the SoCal market

I would love for the Pac-12 to add San Diego State and Fresno State. 

Some of you will probably laugh at adding Fresno State but they currently have the highest average attendance in the MW, third highest in the G5, and second highest in California behind USC. The Bulldogs btw are 4-4 and lost to UConn after getting hit hard by injuries. College football may be losing popularity in much of California, but not in the San Joaquin Valley.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

I would love for the Pac-12 to add San Diego State and Fresno State. 

Some of you will probably laugh at adding Fresno State but they currently have the highest average attendance in the MW, third highest in the G5, and second highest in California behind USC. The Bulldogs btw are 4-4 and lost to UConn after getting hit hard by injuries. College football may be losing popularity in much of California, but not in the San Joaquin Valley.

What else is there to do in central California on a Saturday?

But who will the MW would grab to replace Boise State, Hawaii and UNLV (as well as San Diego State)? Plus shouldn't the Big XII get another non-football school to have an even number of member schools?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

2 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

But who will the MW would grab to replace Boise State, Hawaii and UNLV (as well as San Diego State)? Plus shouldn't the Big XII get another non-football school to have an even number of member schools?

There's not much the Mountain West could do since there's not that many D-I schools in that area. Denver might be an option, but that's a non-football school. There's many D-II schools in that area that the Mountain West could look at, but I highly doubt any of them makes the jump to Division I.

On the Big XII side... sure. They could. But, who that could be is anyone's guess.

8 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Gonzaga to the Big 12 would be huge. San Diego State to the Pac 12 may be what it needs to save the conference.  Get Boise State, Hawaii, UNLV and the Pac 12 might just survive.

Hawaii plays in a temporary ~ 10,000 seat stadium and is one of the worst FBS teams this year. They play basketball in the Big West.

UNLV football has only been to two bowl games in the past 25 years and has never been ranked in the AP Poll. The basketball team hasn't been to a NCAA Tournament in 10 years and hasn't won a regular season conference title since 2000 or a conference tournament title since 2008.

I don't think either are the greatest additions, but the case could be made for UNLV based solely upon the Las Vegas market (which probably doesn't even care about UNLV sports, especially with every pro league moving there now). If I'm George Kliavkoff, I'm adding schools that bring in the most success and fan support, two things that the Pac-12 has lacked recently.  Without a doubt the best three available options in the West are Boise State, Fresno State, and San Diego State. To get to 14 teams you then either dip into Texas and add SMU or you stay in the West and take a big chance on UNLV or maybe Colorado State. And all that's only if the current Pac-12 members realize they can't afford to be strict on academics anymore (highly unlikely).

14 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

New Mexico State and UTEP.

Probably add a couple schools from the Big Sky too if they're willing to make the jump up to FBS.