Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

1 hour ago, LMU said:

A - Hawaii is only a football member

B - Hawaii's stadium situation is currently Northwestern without an end game or the uniqueness of playing immediately adjacent to water

C - Hawaii hasn't left Oahu for a non-COVID bowl since 2007 and hasn't exactly been raising any eyebrows lately

Basically Hawaii is screwed as an FBS school for full membership to a conference, no questions asked?

• Like 1
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

14 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

Basically Hawaii is screwed as an FBS school for full membership to a conference, no questions asked?

Essentially.  They have no set plans for a permanent football facility and all other sports are shacking up in the Big West with all of the mid-major UCs and Cal States.  Not to mention that the school pays a premium on travel costs.

VmWIn6B.png

23 minutes ago, McCall said:

The NCAA requires at least 6 schools for a conference to exist. The College Football Playoff requires at least 8 to qualify for an auto-bid as one of the top 5 ranked conference champions.

Thanks! I was thinking of the 2nd requirement.

It's where I sit.

If Cal and Stanford exit the ACC before the ACC exits life, the ACC offsetting the loss of Clemson and FSU by adding just SMU is hilarious. 

If the ACC bites the dust before anything happens, I do see SMU turning west and going "heeeeeeeeeeeey buddies" to their long-time conference brethren in the Bay Area. I'm sure all current PAC members would love having access to Texas for recruiting, both athletically and academically.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I'm beginning to think now that the ACC's new blood forfeited all the television money not so much out of desperation but to have leverage to bolt as soon as the ACC inevitably implodes and the Beavs and Cougs get the PAC back on somewhat firm ground.  

VmWIn6B.png

On CBS Sports this morning Dennis Dodd said that Rice would be an option for Pac-12 because of Houston.  He also said that the Air Force could go to the American and have the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy within the conference.

So now we're looking at a 7 team MWC? God, let the Montanas find some money on a ranch somewhere and pay the $5M each to move up.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

There is the talk of the ACC potentially being over with, but I'm not getting enough clarity. Are we bringing it up because they'll lose their biggest programs and become small-fry (Group of Five)? Or is the departure of those programs going to suddenly result in everybody being somewhere else, like in new conferences? I'm asking because for the latter, that's a lot of schools being up for grabs and I don't even know if the Power conferences would be accepting any more as of now or even in the next couple of years.

25 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I just realized every member of the newly reborn PAC-12 is a “State University”

Boise State

Colorado State

Fresno State

Oregon State

San Diego State

Washington State

I'll refer to them as Pac-State for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FriedPickles said:

also wondering, will the Rose Bowl Tradtion of the B1G Champ and the Pac-Whatever champ continue?

No. They've already dropped the Pac-12 from the tie-in. And even if they reach the required amount of schools, the Rose Bowl is not gonna want the Big Ten vs the Pac-12 Outlet Store in the most storied bowl game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, McCall said:

No. They've already dropped the Pac-12 from the tie-in. And even if they reach the required amount of schools, the Rose Bowl is not gonna want the Big Ten vs the Pac-12 Outlet Store in the most storied bowl game.

Didn’t they make the New Years Six games all at large now that they are either quarterfinals or semifinals?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TBGKon said:

<snipped>

"Top media market in the nation"?  Do they mean "top media market in the nation"?

I may be confusing the B1G with the SEC, but I'm fairly certain that it was the B1G commissioner that said something like  (paraphrasing because I couldn't find the quote) "we're only going to have the major schools of any state here, you're not going to see an "eastern this" or "western that" or anything like that in the Big 10".  Obviously Northwestern kinda counters that, but it's a legacy school.

But that could have been the SEC commissioner.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, BBTV said:

I may be confusing the B1G with the SEC, but I'm fairly certain that it was the B1G commissioner that said something like  (paraphrasing because I couldn't find the quote) "we're only going to have the major schools of any state here, you're not going to see an "eastern this" or "western that" or anything like that in the Big 10".  Obviously Northwestern kinda counters that, but it's a legacy school.

If it's the Big10 commissioner who said it, it's doubly funny because they just added the University of Southern California  (which is,  I know, like Northwestern a private school and a legacy program, but name-wise is the same as the University of South Florida).

• Like 1

It is what it is.