NFL 2010-2011

bowld

Now since the NFL knows ahead of time what is being worn and if a team like Dallas is going to be in white all season, does the manufacturer even make their blue jerseys/silver pants?

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone see the teeny tiny shoulder stripes on Pierre Garcon's jersey? For the NFL, who has such a strict uniform policy, you would think uniforms would be uniform.

That's Reebok's new jersey cut, which debuted last year and makes most NFL uniforms look non-uniform. Joseph Addai also wears it. As an added bonus, this year, it appears to make the Colts' sleeve numbers scrunch up and disappear under players' shoulder pads. Can't wait till this gets a league-wide mandate and makes everything uglier.

yea lots more Colts players are wearing it. i love the fit of the jersey, its tight and clean, but Reebok has embarrassed themselves with it otherwise. the NOB and number placement is all kinds of terrible and taking just the Colts into account, those stripes are way short and the blue is lighter than the other jerseys. they really stand out when everyone is in blue

It honestly looked like there was a Blue "=" sign above the sleeve number. Really ridiculous. I hope if the whole Colts team goes this route, they just ditch the shoulder stripes and go Penn State style, solid white with sleeve numbers only.

i dont think they should have to adjust their shoulder stripes. Reebok needs to fix their jersey. they made no improvements since last year. for shame

I saw the Giants in these new Reebok unis and the names and numbers look awful.

They don't have much else on the jersey to ruin, but the name looks so terrible. Why does Reebok have to screw things up for years before they realize their mistakes?

2ly2w09.jpg

Anyone see the teeny tiny shoulder stripes on Pierre Garcon's jersey? For the NFL, who has such a strict uniform policy, you would think uniforms would be uniform.

That's Reebok's new jersey cut, which debuted last year and makes most NFL uniforms look non-uniform. Joseph Addai also wears it. As an added bonus, this year, it appears to make the Colts' sleeve numbers scrunch up and disappear under players' shoulder pads. Can't wait till this gets a league-wide mandate and makes everything uglier.

yea lots more Colts players are wearing it. i love the fit of the jersey, its tight and clean, but Reebok has embarrassed themselves with it otherwise. the NOB and number placement is all kinds of terrible and taking just the Colts into account, those stripes are way short and the blue is lighter than the other jerseys. they really stand out when everyone is in blue

It honestly looked like there was a Blue "=" sign above the sleeve number. Really ridiculous. I hope if the whole Colts team goes this route, they just ditch the shoulder stripes and go Penn State style, solid white with sleeve numbers only.

i dont think they should have to adjust their shoulder stripes. Reebok needs to fix their jersey. they made no improvements since last year. for shame

I saw the Giants in these new Reebok unis and the names and numbers look awful.

They don't have much else on the jersey to ruin, but the name looks so terrible. Why does Reebok have to screw things up for years before they realize their mistakes?

Don't get me started. It's really hard to believe a professional sports team would allow their players to wear these things. The worst home-mades make these things look good. Had to link to a story to get a pic of Pierre Garcon vs. Green Bay. The shoulder stripes have officially reached "why bother" status and the TV numbers and NOB look about 2" tall. These things are a bad joke.

Pic of Garcon in Reebok joke jersey

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Now since the NFL knows ahead of time what is being worn and if a team like Dallas is going to be in white all season, does the manufacturer even make their blue jerseys/silver pants?

Yes they are required. In the unlikly event a visiting team comes to town with the wrong colored jersey that they were scheduled to wear, the home team must change to their opposite colored jersey. The visiting team would also be fined by the league.

Yes they are required. In the unlikly event a visiting team comes to town with the wrong colored jersey that they were scheduled to wear, the home team must change to their opposite colored jersey. The visiting team would also be fined by the league.

There is also a chance they play a road playoff game against a team who decides to wear white.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

There is also a chance they play a road playoff game against a team who decides to wear white.

That's a possibility. It would sure ruin the Dallas Cowboys dream of playing the Super Bowl in their home stadium haha.

Regarding the new uniform cut: It seems Joseph Addai was wearing the version of the cut that Eli Manning wears. This cut can be differentiated from the other version by the shoulder seam on the yoke that runs between the shoulder stripe and the TV numeral (see image). This version of the cut seems to actually have small sleeves, whereas the other version, which Pierre Garçon wore (and Addai wore late last season), looks to have gaping armholes, like a sleeveless top. Eli Manning's road jersey actually has sleeve stripes that go all the way around the sleeve.

Here is Addai last season. Note there is no seam between the stripe and the TV numerals and there are just huge holes through which the arms emerge. No semblance of a sleeve.

96338838.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5EE8D718099AE8089B18D5D44E14E49B24AF38470D2DD1E00

Now here he is last week. Note the shoulder seam running across the yoke above the TV numerals and note the little sleeves and cuffs extending farther down the arm. Unfortunately, this part forces the TV numerals to fold under the shoulder pad.

103651897.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6E987F372D089B2FF3D2A2F2E4C6A87A9EC6A68000F2BFA93

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Really? I thought Dallas' putrid looking offense and incredibly soft play so far in the pre-season is reason enough.

Oh, and gothedistance... Cowboys hate is spread everywhere quite enough. Why you gotta troll?

Did I make you mad?

I didn't mean to be insulting if I sounded that way. But really, I was just trying to say how unlucky the Cowboys would be if things get unfavorable for them.

Regarding the new uniform cut: It seems Joseph Addai was wearing the version of the cut that Eli Manning wears. This cut can be differentiated from the other version by the shoulder seam on the yoke that runs between the shoulder stripe and the TV numeral (see image). This version of the cut seems to actually have small sleeves, whereas the other version, which Pierre Garçon wore (and Addai wore late last season), looks to have gaping armholes, like a sleeveless top. Eli Manning's road jersey actually has sleeve stripes that go all the way around the sleeve.

It's worth noting for the record what these jerseys were designed to look like:

1-406.JPG96338838.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5EE8D718099AE8089B18D5D44E14E49B24AF38470D2DD1E00

Baltimore-Colts-John-Unitas.jpg103651897.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6E987F372D089B2FF3D2A2F2E4C6A87A9EC6A68000F2BFA93

Pretty sad what it's come to now. It defies belief that organizations with the resources of Reebok and the NFL can't come up with a way to replica the original design.

1-406.JPG96338838.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5EE8D718099AE8089B18D5D44E14E49B24AF38470D2DD1E00

Baltimore-Colts-John-Unitas.jpg103651897.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6E987F372D089B2FF3D2A2F2E4C6A87A9EC6A68000F2BFA93

Pretty sad what it's come to now. It defies belief that organizations with the resources of Reebok and the NFL can't come up with a way to replica the original design.

Sadly if just the sign of the times. Its pretty much impossible for teams with old, traditional jersey striping to keep that look with todays modern cut jerseys. Teams like the Colts, Steelers, etc with those stripe patterns are victims of todays tight, bodyglove type of uniform designs. Todays uniforms pretty much do not have sleeves anymore, so it"s hard in incorporate the old style stripes to look correct. If you've noticed in recent years that teams getting new uniform designs do not have sleeve stripes. The old design stripes get "crushed" around the shoulder pads, especially on linemen. Thats why you see new designs of wild ass side panel stripes and piping and logos being put on the back of jerseys instead of the sleeves. The day of sleeves and loose fitting jerseys are over.

Sadly if just the sign of the times. Its pretty much impossible for teams with old, traditional jersey striping to keep that look with todays modern cut jerseys. Teams like the Colts, Steelers, etc with those stripe patterns are victims of todays tight, bodyglove type of uniform designs. Todays uniforms pretty much do not have sleeves anymore, so it"s hard in incorporate the old style stripes to look correct. If you've noticed in recent years that teams getting new uniform designs do not have sleeve stripes. The old design stripes get "crushed" around the shoulder pads, especially on linemen. Thats why you see new designs of wild ass side panel stripes and piping and logos being put on the back of jerseys instead of the sleeves. The day of sleeves and loose fitting jerseys are over.

I know, and therein is the conundrum, which I'll get to in a minute. But I disagree that jerseys can't be made with the original style stripes. I can listen to live Air Traffic Control transmissions in Australia from my iPhone and Reebok can't figure out a way to wrap stripes around a player's shoulder? Not buying it. If the teams demand it - and it would be a lot better if they had a competitor to go to if necessary - they'd do it.

So fans will scream bloody murder if the 'traditional' looks are tossed, but do such teams 1) keep trying to force their traditional looks onto new uni cuts, looking more and more ridiculous in the process, or 2) accept reality and design a new uni?

My vote is new unis that incorporate the traditional style elements in new ways that work. My reasoning is that their uniforms look less and less like the original designs anyway, so why not look good instead of ludicrous?

Sadly if just the sign of the times. Its pretty much impossible for teams with old, traditional jersey striping to keep that look with todays modern cut jerseys. Teams like the Colts, Steelers, etc with those stripe patterns are victims of todays tight, bodyglove type of uniform designs. Todays uniforms pretty much do not have sleeves anymore, so it"s hard in incorporate the old style stripes to look correct.

Oh, you'd be surprised....

4949027434_5f4f54bcef_z.jpg

Sadly if just the sign of the times. Its pretty much impossible for teams with old, traditional jersey striping to keep that look with todays modern cut jerseys. Teams like the Colts, Steelers, etc with those stripe patterns are victims of todays tight, bodyglove type of uniform designs. Todays uniforms pretty much do not have sleeves anymore, so it"s hard in incorporate the old style stripes to look correct.

Oh, you'd be surprised....

4949027434_5f4f54bcef_z.jpg

For me personally, I'm not buying this look. Either make the compression fit jersey sleeve extend to the elbow, or make the jerseys with short compression fit sleeves like Eli Manning's jersey. If Eli Manning can have a compression fit jersey with stripes that wrap all the way around the sleeves, then everyone should be able have one of those. End of story. We don't need this Frankenstein solution that Oregon State's gone to, and we need to get sufficient wrap or shoulder loops as well, which shouldn't be this freaking difficult.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/95733293/Getty-Images-Sport

Edit: I see for this season they've actually gotten Eli a jersey where his sleeve stripes are the same thickness as his teammates'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived