San Diego....supa Chargers!

chestnutz

So first off I wanna thank Fraser for his amazing work and helpfulness in teaching our forum his kickass ways. I worked on his first tutorial for a bit, and came out with this lil concept.

I was looking for teams to do, decided on the Chargers, and decided to go in a whole different direction than what anyone else has gone in. It's a bit out there as far as Chargers concepts go, so just a full disclosure, just take it for what it's worth, a concept. Don't say NO NO THAT LOGO IS NOT THE CHARGERS, please just critique the logo itself.

Anyways yeah, I used a kind of Hermes figure for the primary logo, which I know doesn't make much sense, but I thought it would look cool, got a little lightning bolt action going on in several places. I added the lighter blue at the last second, because I figured a straight navy and yellow look would be too much like the Rams, but FWIW I like the navy and yellow look more.

New lightning bolt on the helmet and sleeves which is a whole new jersey and pants design. Went with navy helmets because there's too many white ones out there, and I kept the current numbers cause I felt they fit well.

chargers.png

chargers-unis.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

C'mon Chestnutz, for the Chargers, really? Theres no way this would work for them... :P I'm just kidding, I think it looks really nice, the hermes figure is really well done, I think the helmet is a little better than the face, some details are smooth where its generally pointy, like the lightning bolt coming from or around his ear. Good job though, looks nice.

Your logos are alright, but I just don't think they're as good as the Chargers lightning bolt. The curved lightning bolt is simple yet so effective. I just find your concepts to be a bit busy, combining lightning bolts with Viking-like helmets.

Looking pretty good. Some comments:

I can't really figure out where the light source on Hermes is. I also think his head is a bit elongated and horizontally stretched. But it is a great start, it looks kind of like an NBA logo from the nineties. Not that that's bad it just has that sort of style to it.

Helmets are pretty cool, can't say I prefer that Bolt to the semicircle one they have now but it is interesting nonetheless. The uni designs are quite nice. I would be in favor of dropping powder blue. Navy and Yellow is unique in the NFL and I feel the powder blue doesn't really work with those colors. I would consider outlining the numbers.

i think the logos are boring. all are too flat; not enough "movement" or "action". i think the wordmark should have some sort of warp to it, or make a more interesting bolt. i like the shield you have going but the perspective should be changed on Hermes. again too flat and boring. the Chargers need action! you probably wouldnt use Helvetica in this design so dont treat everything so Swiss

the uniforms i like pretty well. they have a NCAA feel to them but i like the use of colors, like in the Dan Fouts days. id like to see the back of the helmet just to see how the bolt wraps around

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The home uniform is gorgeous. I don't know why it did, but it really struck a chord with me. However, don't let your away set suffer from Redskin-itis: pair the gold pants up with the white jerseys too. The Redskins used to wear essentially what they wear now with gold pants both on the road and at home. One element of each color would look good in this situation (as well as with the Redskins when they did it.) Otherwise, the pants being in the darkest color in the set is a bit over-powering. (Then again, I don't particularly care for dark pants in any situation. Ha, so I guess my point is somewhat moot simply because it's a personal preference. Design-wise, all three sets look pretty good :) )

I think the logos look GREAT!!!!!! kind of reminds me of the GS Warriors brand...but of course better colors...either way, good job.

The uniforms are a different story. First, you need an understanding of how to color the template. The areas you have shaded lighter need to be darker, that's the meshier part of the jersey.

Unless you intend for that fabric to be lighter, but I doubt it. Also, uniform wise, the jerseys and helmet look good, but the pants design just seems to not go. Also the alternate doesnt look very good with that set.

I really like the concept, esp the logos, however I never really was a fan of that color scheme for the Chargers.

I just can't get past the primary logo to start. There is a shadow on the neck, but the face is totally flat except for the bolt. Hermes looks like he is trying to kiss me (and frankly, I am finding him rather hard to resist... oooohhh) and I think the large bolt on the bottom should extend or grow so there is no awkward light blue triangle. Also, there is inconsistency with the alternate as the bolt angle is definitely different from that of the primary and the "San Diego" looks forced in a contrived, uneven top outline on the wordmark.

On the jerseys: I don't like how there are two stripes on the sock and bolt on the helmet and shoulder but none on the numbers. Also, at least on the Rivers jersey, either the 10 or the front wordmark looks off-center. For the home, the yellow pants are giving me a spooky yellow Missouri Tigers vibe for some reason... not good. More white would behoove this jersey. Same with the alternate, I'm not sold on the pants yet.

It's not bad, but I prefer the current look and I have definitely seen much better from you. I'm not sure what it is, but overall I'm just not into it.

This concept isn't too bad. I'm not sure it would be a look I would shoot for if I were the Chargers. I think the face in the primary is way too angled. It makes the face seem jagged and just awkward, I'd consider 'smoothing' it out. The secondary is a nice idea, but there should be some more definity in the letters, they look a smashed together. The uniforms are pretty slick, I especially like that helmet.

Other than the helmet logo, it looks nice. I think the current helmet logo works better with the set but otherwise not bad at all.

On another note... You guys do realize that the name Chargers was based on a horse and not electricity or Hermes right? :D

BB52Big.jpg

I think if the team was the Olympians, alot of the uniform and design elements would work better and not get so panned. Hermes does not fit the Chargers because he's more of a flash. That wouldn't be a bad redesign for Kent State, but I am partial to our beloved golden eagle. Before that was the official mascot, evidently a kid dressed up something like the Flash or a lightning bolt.

Archived