If you thought the smurf turf was bad...

-(dp)-

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i actually kinda like the colored turf, as long as you can see the ball, and as long as it's all nexturf or whatever, it could be cool.

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

I thought that the NCAA had outlawed colored turf and Boise State was just grandfathered in, guess not. It's going to be hard to decide how it looks until I actually see it. Like someone said, it could look great or it could look horrible.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I thought that the NCAA had outlawed colored turf ...

But green turf is also colored. Red or blue or fuschia turf is no more real or natural than green turf.

So the real test should not be, "Is the turf green?" but, "Does the color of the turf impede its function?" To that end, you want the turf to not do any of the following:

1. Make it hard to see or spot the ball.
  2. Make it hard to see individual players, either in person or on TV.
  3. Distract or confuse players.

#1 pretty much rules out red, orange, or brown turf. #2 argues against turf the same color as the home team's uniforms (which in Oregon suggests a change away from green turf). #3 argues for a consistent turf color in all fields, or at least a range of permitted, neutral turf colors. Put those considerations in a blender, and you get either a standardized shade of slate gray, a suite of approved dusty pastels, or a turquoise field not too far from Pantone 319C:

COLOURlovers.com-Pantone_319_C.png

Which is close to maximum contrast with the apparent color of NCAA footballs. Though green is a good second choice from a contrast-with-the-football perspective.

20082614447.png

Oh, god... We have to play em... Ill post pics i guess...

Did your dad talk to the head coach in letting you play this season?

Isn't the bigger question why does a teen son of a state employee think that s/he is entitled to fly on team charters and stay in team hotels (on state money)?

Arizona Budget Shortfall + NAU

great question

Here's where I'm going to steer the conversation back towards the turf color and away from the piling-on of one of the members. Everyone on board with that? Good.

The blue turf is kind of cool, but I think red would be much too bright and distracting, just by the nature of the color. I disagree, though, about how the EWU logo looks on a red background, because that looks awesome.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I assume this is red for the same (alleged) reason that some military uniforms are red? :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I thought that the NCAA had outlawed colored turf ...

1. Make it hard to see or spot the ball.
  2. Make it hard to see individual players, either in person or on TV.
  3. Distract or confuse players.

I love Boise's blue turf, but I hate that they wear uniforms that are nearly all blue save for the numbers and some orange stripes. I find it incredibly difficult to watch a Boise State home game because of their monochrome blue unis. I wish they'd adopt some white helmets and pants.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived