2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to do another "twitteresque" post but... The Twins are now 4-1 and Jon Rauch has three saves. Granted, it's still very early but, so far losing Joe Nathan has had...well...zero effect. I only keep bringing this up because so many people were convinced that The Twins were done when Nathan went down for the season. So far they've done this on the road against two teams that are considered to be legitimate playoff contenders. Again, I realize it's only 5 games but this stuff starts to gather momentum. Every time Rauch gets a save, the confidence factor grows and blah blah blah. You get what I'm saying. I remain convinced that losing Nathan won't make enough of difference to matter.

I don't know any of these players, so I don't really have much of an opinion, but isn't it fair to say that just because they haven't blown a save doesn't mean that there's been no affect? These guys that are now saving games are no longer in middle / late relief, which means that those spots are weaker, which means that even if they save every single game that they make it in to, they could still end up worse off because of a weakness elsewhere in the bullpen? Also, if guys are saving games every day, doesn't it make it extra hard to give people nights off? While I'll agree that the actual position of "closer" is way overrated, losing a great reliever is never overrated, regardless of the spot in the pen that he occupied.

Again, I know nothing about the Twins, how they're doing, who these guys are, or anything about them (they still have Rod Carew, right?), so it's more of a general comment rather than one specific to their exact situation.

Tell that to Mike Gonzalez :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Not to do another "twitteresque" post but... The Twins are now 4-1 and Jon Rauch has three saves. Granted, it's still very early but, so far losing Joe Nathan has had...well...zero effect. I only keep bringing this up because so many people were convinced that The Twins were done when Nathan went down for the season. So far they've done this on the road against two teams that are considered to be legitimate playoff contenders. Again, I realize it's only 5 games but this stuff starts to gather momentum. Every time Rauch gets a save, the confidence factor grows and blah blah blah. You get what I'm saying. I remain convinced that losing Nathan won't make enough of difference to matter.

I don't know any of these players, so I don't really have much of an opinion, but isn't it fair to say that just because they haven't blown a save doesn't mean that there's been no affect? These guys that are now saving games are no longer in middle / late relief, which means that those spots are weaker, which means that even if they save every single game that they make it in to, they could still end up worse off because of a weakness elsewhere in the bullpen? Also, if guys are saving games every day, doesn't it make it extra hard to give people nights off? While I'll agree that the actual position of "closer" is way overrated, losing a great reliever is never overrated, regardless of the spot in the pen that he occupied.

Again, I know nothing about the Twins, how they're doing, who these guys are, or anything about them (they still have Rod Carew, right?), so it's more of a general comment rather than one specific to their exact situation.

He is pathetic, he better not get another chance to close a game until he gets his control back. He has been absolutely horrible this year. He can strike people out and make them looks like fools one at-bat then the next he has three balls in the dirt and gives up a game winning hit. I don't get it.

saBS.png

He is pathetic, he better not get another chance to close a game until he gets his control back. He has been absolutely horrible this year. He can strike people out and make them looks like fools one at-bat then the next he has three balls in the dirt and gives up a game winning hit. I don't get it.

Sounds like the Mike Gonzalez I know. I nicknamed him "Heart Attack" because that's what I was close to whenever he was on the mound. It could be a 4 or 5 run lead & I still had a feeling that he had a strong chance of blowing it. He's so inconsistent from pitch to pitch, it's crazy.

Speaking of closers, Billy Wagner basically messed up 2 games of excellent play by giving up a game-tying homerun to Edgar Renteria (sp?) that eventually led to a loss to the Giants.. At first I was pissed, but now that I think of it, Renteria has been on an extremely hot streak so we were lucky to avoid that happening until then. But wow, that sucked.

I still feel good about the Braves, though. Hopefully the bats wake up like they did on Monday. That was awesome. Being shut out over 11 innings is NOT awesome.

Sounds like the Mike Gonzalez I know. I nicknamed him "Heart Attack" because that's what I was close to whenever he was on the mound. It could be a 4 or 5 run lead & I still had a feeling that he had a strong chance of blowing it. He's so inconsistent from pitch to pitch, it's crazy.

It was kinda like George Sherrill, he used to always put on enough baserunners that the game could be lost on a homerun. Yet he always got the job done. Plus he was "forced" into the role. Gonzalez is just pathetic. I know he's only pitched 3 games, but he looks awful. I thought it was a bad move when they lost draft picks for him, but I thought he'd at least be a servicable closer. It doesn't appear as though that is the case, so it was just an awful move.

Hinske>Glaus.

Fact.

LSU lost to Auburn on Saturday but you had to make a post today. As a result, you decided to add little to the MLB thread.

I was told nobody cares about LSU baseball but me.

Now they do.

Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week

Now time to talk about a more exciting sport than hockey. Baseball :)

YANKEES are 4-2. Series wins over Sox and Rays on the Road. Next game is the home opener on tuesday baby!

Talk to me when you're 5-1.

I think I'd wait until September to start gloating ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

YANKEES are 4-2. Series wins over Sox and Rays on the Road. Next game is the home opener on tuesday baby!

With a $200 million payroll you shouldn't lose a damn game.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think I'd wait until September to start gloating ^_^

Well by the end of the month we'll be something like 5 games out, so I might as well gloat while I still can ^_^

1zqy8ok.gif

Talk to me when you're in the AL East lead in July, or even August/September/October. Course it won't happen otherwise I'll eat my shoes :)

Talk to me when you're in the AL East lead in July, or even August/September/October. Course it won't happen otherwise I'll eat my shoes :)

While I don't think the Jays will be anywhere near the top come July... I hope you keep your word if that actually happens :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

With a $200 million payroll you shouldn't lose a damn game.

Ahh... the payroll card. Aren't the Sox like 2nd in payroll? :)

I was just making a little poke at the payroll thing, didn't intend to start a serious conversation about it. However I will say this one thing...

5th last year. And the $80 million difference between the two teams wouldn't be enough to buy the Yankees infield -- Teixeira, A-Rod, Jeter, and Cano.

Yeah, the Red Sox spend quite a bit, and have for the last 6 or 7 years, but in that time I'm fairly certain they've never been within $60 million of the Yankees. I'm in favor of a salary cap regardless -- my team would survive just nicely if there was one.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived