2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://deadspin.com/...er-not-this-guy

I don't even know what to say to something like this.

I do, disgusting, he should be locked up for a while for even thinking of this, guys like him make it impossible for families to enjoy themselves during a game, an argument or even anything else should not make you vomit on an 11 year old girl. What is wrong with people like him that will want to make him vomit on anyone?

http://deadspin.com/5518706/last-nights-winner-not-this-guy

Now you know why Philadelphia has that sort of reputation of an unruly fanbase.

But, I would of expected this at an Eagles game, not a Phillies game. If Philly fans want to shed this label, then do your part to make sure those kind of people aren't at the ballpark.

http://deadspin.com/5518706/last-nights-winner-not-this-guy

But, I would of expected this at an Eagles game, not a Phillies game. If Philly fans want to shed this label, then do your part to make sure those kind of people aren't at the ballpark.

How can one presume that a specific individual or individuals in attendance that night intend on causing such a disruption?

How can one presume that a specific individual or individuals in attendance that night intend on causing such a disruption?

Exactly.

Seadragon, that's a really stupid thing to say. Am I supposed to be some kind of vigilante going around trying to scope out idiots and then alerting security? Are fans supposed to form a blockade outside of each entrance and interview everyone coming in to see if they are someone who may vomit on somebody?

There's idiots everywhere, in every city. It makes news when it happens in Philadelphia. It's not like there's something in the water here that makes people throw up on each other.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Exactly.

Seadragon, that's a really stupid thing to say. Am I supposed to be some kind of vigilante going around trying to scope out idiots and then alerting security? Are fans supposed to form a blockade outside of each entrance and interview everyone coming in to see if they are someone who may vomit on somebody?

There's idiots everywhere, in every city. It makes news when it happens in Philadelphia. It's not like there's something in the water here that makes people throw up on each other.

Damn. So much for my theory.

BB52Big.jpg

I have one Philly experience. It was a Phillies game vs. Atlanta the first year of Citizens Bank Park. I knew the reputation of Philly fans, but was not even a little concerned, as I was neutral (of course these clowns tormented children cheering for their own team). I saw NOTHING to suggest that their fans were unusually bad. It was like any Twins game I'd been to except not under a stupid dome. I've seen clown behavior in the east coast cities with a reputation for it, but I've also seen it in Minnesota, Wisconsin (UW and Milwaukee's two-fisted slobbers), etc.

I'd guess that the reputation is somewhat earned and somewhat inflated.

So I have a question...Last year we had a group of 8 of us (34 to 36 year old guys) catch the Twins in Wrigley. The fans could not have been cooler. There were tons of Twins fans and rather than be bitter, the Cubs fans we talked to complimented us ("I've never seen it so loud when an opposing team is about to close out a game", etc.).

This year, we have 6 going to the Friday/Saturday games in Philly. How different should we anticipate our reception to be? We don't taunt home fans or anything, but we do wear our Twins gear. Would a prudent person suggest we don't do that? We'll do it either way, but I'm just curious as to what to expect.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'll be at that game, and if I see you there in your Twins gear, I'ma throw you down to the ground, urinate on you, then defecate on you, then smear it in the form of a "TC" logo, then force myself to vomit on you so I can say that I hate the Twins so bad that they're logo made me vomit, and then I'll laugh knowing that the logo I vomited on was made up of my own feces. I'll probably kick you a few times too, just for good measure. Hopefullyl they put the whole thing on Phanavision, so I can get cheered from the crowd. Don't worry though - I'll buy you a beer when all is said and done, you know, just to make sure there's no hard feelings.*

*of course I'll pour said beer on you, but it's all the same.

In all seriousness, I haven't seen much of this kind of stuff at all down there, and I'm at a lot of games (3 of the first 4 so far this year). If it's the Mets and their obnoxious fans, then yeah - there's problems, but for the most part, the Phillies crowd is a mixture of middle-aged Jersey trash (that you do have to watch out for), college kids (who are loud and obnoxious, but are generally harmless), guys on dates (who aren't going to do anything to jeopardize their chances of getting some later), guys with their kids, and me. I've seen a lot of good natured taunting, but nothing too bad. I did see some Jersey jort-wearing trash harassing people in the parking lot yesterday, and for a minute felt that I'd have to regulate, but it calmed down on it's own. They then came over and begged me for a beer, which is when I asked "what part of Jersey you from" (as a joke) only to find out that they were really from there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll be at that game, and if I see you there in your Twins gear, I'ma throw you down to the ground, urinate on you, then defecate on you, then smear it in the form of a "TC" logo, then force myself to vomit on you so I can say that I hate the Twins so bad that they're logo made me vomit, and then I'll laugh knowing that the logo I vomited on was made up of my own feces. I'll probably kick you a few times too, just for good measure. Hopefullyl they put the whole thing on Phanavision, so I can get cheered from the crowd. Don't worry though - I'll buy you a beer when all is said and done, you know, just to make sure there's no hard feelings.*

In all seriousness, I haven't seen much of this kind of stuff at all down there, and I'm at a lot of games (3 of the first 4 so far this year). If it's the Mets and their obnoxious fans, then yeah - there's problems, but for the most part, the Phillies crowd is a mixture of middle-aged Jersey trash (that you do have to watch out for), college kids (who are loud and obnoxious, but are generally harmless), guys on dates (who aren't going to do anything to jeopardize their chances of getting some later), guys with their kids, and me. I've seen a lot of good natured taunting, but nothing too bad. I did see some Jersey jort-wearing trash harassing people in the parking lot yesterday, and for a minute felt that I'd have to regulate, but it calmed down on it's own. They then came over and begged me for a beer, which is when I asked "what part of Jersey you from" (as a joke) only to find out that they were really from there.

I had never heard the term "jort" before. Thanks.

That's about what I figured. I enjoy good natured taunting and can stomach the post-game (if the Twins lose) semi-aggressive "Boy your team really sucks", etc. as long as they don't appear to wish to be violent. I'm always fascinated by fans that are angry that visiting fans are there. I appreciate fans that travel.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I had never heard the term "jort" before. Thanks.

That's about what I figured. I enjoy good natured taunting and can stomach the post-game (if the Twins lose) semi-aggressive "Boy your team really sucks", etc. as long as they don't appear to wish to be violent. I'm always fascinated by fans that are angry that visiting fans are there. I appreciate fans that travel.

Well nobody really cares about the Twins here, so unless it's a super tight game, you may not hear much. Every city has a subset of people who just have miserable lives and are angry by nature, and go to sports events just to get drunk and leave the reality of their miserable lives. A lot of times that anger just gets let out on the easiest victims, who are generally the outnumbered visiting fans. Higher prices are starting to price that subset out, but it's certainly still there.

As for appreciating fans that travel, everybody wants to think that their fans are the best, and travel the best, and other team's fans can't come to their stadium because their fans are so loyal and awesome that they'd never let an opposing fan even sniff a ticket. Again, a distorted reality.

Also, while I may not impose harm on any actual person, I may poop on a Marlins cap tonight, you know, for like symbolism or something.

Courtesy of Todd Zolecki's twitter:

Mind blowing stat of the night (not really) -- Cliff Lee after 3 starts with the Phillies: 3-0, 1.13 ERA. Roy Halladay: 3-0, 1.13 ERA.

With their 8-0 domination of Milwaukee today, the Washington Nationals are one game over .500.

I've watched a couple Nats games & I'm flipping between the Mets/Cards & Hawks/Bucks games...& wow, Tank may have been right about the Mets being worse than the Nats this year. It looks like the Nats are improving organically, while the Mets' window has probably closed.

Archived